V10 nesting wont nest to edge of material?

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Mark Bolton
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre408PRO-10HPHSD-10posATC-WinCNC

V10 nesting wont nest to edge of material?

Post by Mark Bolton »

Im running into a bit of an odd situation with V10. Even with border and clearance set to zero it looks to always next with about half a tool diameter around the entire perimeter of the sheet? I nested in 8.5 with border to zero and it nests right at the edge of the sheet? Scratching my head.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: V10 nesting wont nest to edge of material?

Post by Adrian »

The oldest version I have is 9 and it does it the same way as 10. I don't recall it changing but I never nest like that.

If you want to make it nest right to the edge you would need to create a vector that is one tool diameter bigger than the material in X and Y and then centre it on the material. Use that as the Nest Boundary in the nesting options.

Mark Bolton
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Mark Bolton »

To add, I have read the posts about using the oversized vector boundary which hasnt worked out well either. The real issue is nesting the identical parts in 8.5 lands them on 4 sheets. Nesting them in 10 lands them on 5 sheets (one part onto a 5th). Will keep looking for a workaround but something in v10 has changed a bit.

Mark Bolton
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Mark Bolton »

Thanks Adrain, Im working on that at the moment. I have seen this come up in past posts but it hasnt bitten me til today ;-). I nest cab parts out of Cabinetsense which have over-runs for dados and trying to work through it a bit at the moment but will keep nesting in 8.5 for these parts til I get it sorted.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

I've got 7, 9, and 10 installed (no 8 unfortunately) and it nests with the tool radius gap in all of those. Seems odd that 8 would behave differently to 7 and 9.

gregk
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: None

Post by gregk »

Mark Bolton wrote:Thanks Adrain, Im working on that at the moment. I have seen this come up in past posts but it hasnt bitten me til today ;-). I nest cab parts out of Cabinetsense which have over-runs for dados and trying to work through it a bit at the moment but will keep nesting in 8.5 for these parts til I get it sorted.
The V10 changed the way it deals with over-runs for dados. In past those would not be considered when establishing the boundary of the part, while V10 will include them in the part boundary. The trick that Adrian suggested (using oversized boundary) does work in general, but maybe some other difference in behaviour (like the one I mentioned) may cause it to nest differently. Could you share the file with us here please? Alternatively please consider sending the file over to our support team (support@vectric.com) and we will have a look.

Greg K

Mark Bolton
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Mark Bolton »

The problem with the over-runs is if you fudge using the boundary vector on sheets with parts that have over-runs as well as parts that dont it seems to get wonky. I wish Vectric had included an option to leave the nesting as-is or use the new strategy. I can see where its advantageous at times but when you've been setup and running parts and then suddenly your into extra sheets its a bump in the road (thankfully a small one).

I cant honestly tell whats happening between V8.5 (older versions) and V10 but this particular job it shows up clearly in that no matter what you do, nesting in V10 will toss one part of this job onto a 5th sheet where I can nest all day long in V8.5 on 4 sheets. Its no a major issue but as stated in some of the other posts the next not respecting the edge of the material is simply wasting material which on a large job can equated to multiple sheets. And having to create a boundary vector for every job is an unneeded additional step. My boundary layer is the material. Not some fictitious boundary I have to remember to create.