Z Probe Advice

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
BigC
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Workbee

Z Probe Advice

Post by BigC »

Hi
I will be doing a lot of text-based projects in the near future and will be purchasing an XYZ probe at some point.
But mainly for the Z-axis function.
I am using mostly V bits for the text as below. The text is only shallow into 5mm plywood and the text ideally needs to be 0.05 flat depth
Using the paper method this is a little hit and miss especially if I'm using a lowercase "e" as you can imagine for accuracy.
but I have a few queries. If I purchase a probe of sorts How do I set that up so that it doesn't plunge the V bit into the Alu. and destroy the nib
Am I barking up the wrong tree and Is there a better way of inscribing text into the thin ply.
Then, of course, there is another variable the level of the machine and its spoiler board.
tests.jpg
Any help on this topic would be gratefully appreciated
Regards
C

OCEdesigns
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD4 Extended with VCarve Pro 10.5

Re: Z Probe Advice

Post by OCEdesigns »

BigC wrote:Hi
I will be doing a lot of text-based projects in the near future and will be purchasing an XYZ probe at some point.
But mainly for the Z-axis function.
I am using mostly V bits for the text as below. The text is only shallow into 5mm plywood and the text ideally needs to be 0.05 flat depth
Using the paper method this is a little hit and miss especially if I'm using a lowercase "e" as you can imagine for accuracy.
but I have a few queries. If I purchase a probe of sorts How do I set that up so that it doesn't plunge the V bit into the Alu. and destroy the nib
Am I barking up the wrong tree and Is there a better way of inscribing text into the thin ply.
Then, of course, there is another variable the level of the machine and its spoiler board.
tests.jpg
Any help on this topic would be gratefully appreciated
Regards
C
As for plunging into the Aluminum block you should not have any problems. Just make sure to have the Z plunge rate slow. I have the virtual zero set up and the factory setting was 10 ipm plunge but I noticed I was having very inconsistent readings. I changed it to 1.5 ipm and now I get very accurate touch offs. I have been doing a lot of text carving with 30, 60, and 90 degree V bits and getting very good results. Even with the lowercase e's!!

eph210
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Stinger 1 and Mabel, both with 4 axis

Post by eph210 »

There are also Z setting sensors that have a spring loaded switch instead of a conductive path.
Then you can touch off non conductive tools such as a diamond drag bit.
I use this one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DT02-CNC-Unive ... 1740716850

Euan

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

It would help to know what control software you are using.

For instance, I use Mach3. The routine for touching off Z feeds down at 10 IPM, contacts the plate then backs off about .1. Then it moves down a second time at about 1 ipm.

If you are concerned about driving the bit into your aluminum table a possible solution is to make a tee connection to the touch off plate and the aluminum surface of the machine.

I did not purchase anything. Just have a brass piece that has a wire running over to the control. There is also a ground wire from the machine base to the control. I do not use an alligator clip to provide ground, the second wire does that. It will work as long as there is no insulating material between the spindle and the machine frame.

Once you get it set up you will wonder why you didn't do it right away.

Oh, one other thing. I use Ger21's screenset. It has a nice function that provides an ability to do multiple tool changes by using a secondary touch off point somewhere on the machine. Works great!
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns