No more Editing Text after closing the program

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
OCEdesigns
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD4 Extended with VCarve Pro 10.5

No more Editing Text after closing the program

Post by OCEdesigns »

With the new version I noticed I can't open an existing file and edit the text. All it lets me do is create new text. It won't even tell me what font I used. As long as I don't close the current project I can change and edit anything I want. As soon as I close it and then re-open it up I'm done. Very frustrating. I have looked all over the place and can't find where to edit it. HELP!
Lately I have been making several sighs with different fonts and words and now I can't go back to edit any of them!

ezurick

Re: No more Editing Text after closing the program

Post by ezurick »

I had the same issue happen to me since I've upgraded to v10. It's happened on other vectors to, such as circles and boxes. I am not sure what it causing it either. Perhaps it is only when opening older version projects? My only fix it to re-create the vectors. I agree, very frustrating.

OCEdesigns

Post by OCEdesigns »

This happens with version 9.5 projects AND version 10.0 projects on mine. I haven't noticed if it affects my circles. I can look when I get home. But it is really slowing things down when doing the designs.

CharlieP
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: Saimsmart CNC

Post by CharlieP »

Hello..

Thanks for letting us know you are seeing this.
Can you please create a test file with a circle and a short piece of sample text, and then save the project file and send that to support@vectric.com

In your email to support please just mention that this is in relation to this Forum thread titled *No more Editing Text after closing the program* so we can more quickly look into this for you when the file arrives.

I'm afraid is all testing here, we cannot replicate the effect you are seeing so checking your files might help on this.

Many Thanks,

OCEdesigns

Post by OCEdesigns »

CharlieP wrote:Hello..

Can you please create a test file with a circle and a short piece of sample text, and then save the project file and send that to support@vectric.com

In your email to support please just mention that this is in relation to this Forum thread titled *No more Editing Text after closing the program* so we can more quickly look into this for you when the file arrives.

I'm afraid is all testing here, we cannot replicate the effect you are seeing so checking your files might help on this.

Many Thanks,
I will do this when I get home today. Thanks!

Just to clarify. I can create and edit text as much as I need to but once I save and close the file design and then re-open it, I can no longer Edit the text. I would have to delete it and start over if I need to change the spacing or add a curve to it (for example) When I had version 9.5 this was not an issue.

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

CharlieP wrote:Hello..

Many Thanks,
Thanks for helping Charlie. I should have added that this did not happen all the time. I am not sure what triggered it to happen, but I am pretty sure it was when I opened an older saved project. I just tried to open several older projects that have text and circles and each of them worked fine. But I know it happened not too long ago. So I'll keep looking for the culprit project and send it when I find one.

Mark
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark, ShopBot, Roland PNC3000

Post by Mark »

Hello OCEdesigns,

Your problem is not related to version 10, with the 'text' in your project,
you have preformed one or more distortions of the text.

Your selection consists of two lines of text the top line "Get" is straight and uses a larger font size than the
the lower curved line.
As such some distortion of the original text must have taken place.

If you right hand click on your selection, you will not that the "Convert to Curves" option is grayed out.
This is because you have either already converted to curves (either manually or as the result of a non-reversible
distortion operation).

All of the vectors within this selection have been grouped together, which is why
without looking further into this, you might be mistaken for thinking that your selection still looks to be text, within the software.

If you ungroup the selection, you will note that all of the vectors that go to make up the selection
are individual vectors. You can still perform edits on these vectors, but this selection is no longer considered as "text"
within the software, so you would not be able to perform any operations that are specific to a text entity.

I hope that this helps.

Cheers,

Mark.

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

That is a little confusing to me but I guess the point is that the vectors are converted to curves and there is no way to un do that? Is that correct. Also, my confusion is "non-reversible distortion operation". Can someone give me an example of that please?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

You can't convert vectors to text so once you've converted text to vectors that's it unless you Ctrl-Z/Undo within the same session.

If you use the distortion tool then the text ceases to be text in the same way.

A lot of people copy the text to a hidden layer before doing such operations so the original is always available.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

Non-reversible distorted text
distortion.jpg
The first line of text is the original text.

The second has been distorted it is now no longer a text entity, it is distorted vectors, Therefore it cannot be changed using text menu.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 12.004

OCEdesigns

Post by OCEdesigns »

Mark wrote:Hello OCEdesigns,

Your problem is not related to version 10, with the 'text' in your project,
you have preformed one or more distortions of the text.

Your selection consists of two lines of text the top line "Get" is straight and uses a larger font size than the
the lower curved line.
As such some distortion of the original text must have taken place.

If you right hand click on your selection, you will not that the "Convert to Curves" option is grayed out.
This is because you have either already converted to curves (either manually or as the result of a non-reversible
distortion operation).

All of the vectors within this selection have been grouped together, which is why
without looking further into this, you might be mistaken for thinking that your selection still looks to be text, within the software.

If you ungroup the selection, you will note that all of the vectors that go to make up the selection
are individual vectors. You can still perform edits on these vectors, but this selection is no longer considered as "text"
within the software, so you would not be able to perform any operations that are specific to a text entity.

I hope that this helps.

Cheers,

Mark.
Thanks for the reply! This does make sense. After creating the text I often have to make changes to it after using the vector verifyer. This automatically forces you to Ungroup them to correct. After regrouping them the text feature goes away!
I guess this is something I am going to have to learn to deal with. I will try to do the copy to different layer just so I can make it easier to remember which font and sizes I'm using.

OCEdesigns

Post by OCEdesigns »

sharkcutup wrote:Non-reversible distorted text
distortion.jpg
The first line of text is the original text.

The second has been distorted it is now no longer a text entity, it is distorted vectors, Therefore it cannot be changed using text menu.

Sharkcutup
Thanks sharkcutup! I the text I have done in the past was not distorted so that makes sense why I can still edit it. The text I have been doing lately has all been either distorted or converted to vectors for fixing before machining and then re-grouped.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

It is interesting to note that when using the Text on a Curve Tool (a similar type of distortion) the text is still a text entity and can thereby be changed using the Draw Text Tool!

Saved and tested file. Text on a Curve can be still modified using the Draw Text Tool.

The ACTUAL text is not distorted and/or changed in this case. It just conforms to a natural curve.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 12.004

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

That was one of the new features that came in with 9.5, prior to that pretty much any change to text meant it couldn't be edited without losing all the alterations such as kerning, fitting to curves etc. Huge time saver for me.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

Yeah, I agree Adrian! It was definitely a welcomed addition/feature to V-Carve Pro!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 12.004