XYZ Probe

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
ezurick

Re: XYZ Probe

Post by ezurick »

Ted, you also mention several times about your vise setup. Could you also share a pic of them. I am curios how they look and work or what their limitations are for size and thickness of the material.

User avatar
TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Posts: 3624
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:04 pm
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 Build 48X36X10 RP 2010 Screenset
Location: Leland NC

Re: XYZ Probe

Post by TReischl »

ezurick wrote:Ted, you also mention several times about your vise setup. Could you also share a pic of them. I am curios how they look and work or what their limitations are for size and thickness of the material.
Ed, I can do better than that. Here is a link to video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMIZFpOOoV8&t=3s

There are several movies there that show the vise in action.

Here is a link to PDF file of the design:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtBXEhuw0FKsiIppbNy ... Q?e=MXpmon

I used to sell these and the plans, but these days, what the heck!
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Jones

User avatar
martin54
Vectric Wizard
Posts: 4943
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:12 pm
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber System 48,Denford Triac Modified
Location: Crossgates, Scotland

Re: XYZ Probe

Post by martin54 »

ezurick wrote:Ted, you also mention several times about your vise setup. Could you also share a pic of them. I am curios how they look and work or what their limitations are for size and thickness of the material.
his is an old post but might help & there ae some files to make your own :lol: :lol:

ezurick

Re: XYZ Probe

Post by ezurick »

Thanks so much for sharing Ted. That vise setup looks a bit too complicated for my "lack of" engineering skills... lol. I'll take a peek at the pdf and see if I can figure things out. Again, thanks so much.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Posts: 693
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:48 pm
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle
Contact:

Re: XYZ Probe

Post by sharkcutup »

I had made these sometime back not as complicated as the one noted here but have served me well and were easy to make. I made them originally for handling small parts but have come in handy for many other uses too. Recently made some more clamps specifically for 3/4" thick material stock holddown for my CNC machine table. The vise came in handy for using cnc machine as a drill press (which I presently do not have) for cutting a hole in the clamps at specific angle in which I was going to be using the clamp.
Optimized-two size small parts clamps.jpg
Two Different Size Clamps of same design

Note the small clamp with hole in the larger vise and also note the clamps intended use lower left corner of that vise (specifically designed for 3/4" stock which is what I use most of). The vise was ideal for this purpose because its base is 3/4" stock so the angle was perfect when placed into it for cutting/drilling hole. :)

Sharkcutup
Facebook: Hogan's CNC Crafts
www.hoganscnccrafts.com
V-Carve Pro 10.022

User avatar
jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard
Posts: 488
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:50 pm
Model of CNC Machine: Home Made 60 x 120
Location: North Houston Tx.

Re: XYZ Probe

Post by jimandi5000 »

WOW!!! I like those clamps... could you share the crv/dxf files?
Thanks,
Jim

BigC
Vectric Wizard
Posts: 389
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:06 pm
Model of CNC Machine: Workbee

Re: XYZ Probe

Post by BigC »

sharkcutup wrote:I had made these sometime back not as complicated as the one noted here but have served me well and were easy to make. I made them originally for handling small parts but have come in handy for many other uses too. Recently made some more clamps specifically for 3/4" thick material stock holddown for my CNC machine table. The vise came in handy for using cnc machine as a drill press (which I presently do not have) for cutting a hole in the clamps at specific angle in which I was going to be using the clamp.
Optimized-two size small parts clamps.jpg
Two Different Size Clamps of same design

Note the small clamp with hole in the larger vise and also note the clamps intended use lower left corner of that vise (specifically designed for 3/4" stock which is what I use most of). The vise was ideal for this purpose because its base is 3/4" stock so the angle was perfect when placed into it for cutting/drilling hole. :)

Sharkcutup
And there's me thinking that my spoiler board was spoilt :lol: :lol: :lol:

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Posts: 693
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:48 pm
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle
Contact:

Re: XYZ Probe

Post by sharkcutup »

Yeah that spoilboard has had its share of work performed on it. I will be replacing it again (2nd time since purchase of CNC early 2016) after the first of the new year.

I will post what I have later today. I am presently reviewing what I may have because I had made those vises/clamps shortly after I started using my CNC. I have to see what I have and not have because like most I clean up and/or move my files around.

The small Vise is 6.5" long by 6" wide
The larger Vise is 10.75" long by 11" wide

Sharkcutup
Facebook: Hogan's CNC Crafts
www.hoganscnccrafts.com
V-Carve Pro 10.022

confused2
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:46 pm
Model of CNC Machine: homebrew excellence

Re: XYZ Probe

Post by confused2 »

I used to use paper and finally figured out how to make the autotouch feature work in Mach3. It was a stupid mistake that caused all kinds frustration. I have an alum. plate on one wire and gator clip on other. Simple and works fine unless you forget to connect gator clip. The machine will force your tool thru the alum. pate and create a panic situation. Do that once and you will not forget to do it again. L.O.L

BigC
Vectric Wizard
Posts: 389
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:06 pm
Model of CNC Machine: Workbee

Re: XYZ Probe

Post by BigC »

confused2 wrote:I used to use paper and finally figured out how to make the autotouch feature work in Mach3. It was a stupid mistake that caused all kinds frustration. I have an alum. plate on one wire and gator clip on other. Simple and works fine unless you forget to connect gator clip. The machine will force your tool thru the alum. pate and create a panic situation. Do that once and you will not forget to do it again. L.O.L
OUCH, I can only imagine the demise if an expensive/favorite bit.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Posts: 693
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:48 pm
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle
Contact:

Re: XYZ Probe

Post by sharkcutup »

As promised here is a .pdf file which has images and drawings of the small vise. You can scale it to whatever size that suits your CNC machine table configuration.

I am still browsing my computer looking for the original .crv and .dxf files.
small cnc vise.pdf
(1.68 MiB) Downloaded 49 times
Sharkcutup
Facebook: Hogan's CNC Crafts
www.hoganscnccrafts.com
V-Carve Pro 10.022

BigC
Vectric Wizard
Posts: 389
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:06 pm
Model of CNC Machine: Workbee

Re: XYZ Probe

Post by BigC »

Downloaded.
Thanks, Sharkcutup for your info

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Posts: 693
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:48 pm
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle
Contact:

Re: XYZ Probe

Post by sharkcutup »

small vise bottom.pdf
(37.75 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
Forgot a dimension --- the actual stock thichness .75"

Sharkcutup
Facebook: Hogan's CNC Crafts
www.hoganscnccrafts.com
V-Carve Pro 10.022

User avatar
TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Posts: 3624
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:04 pm
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 Build 48X36X10 RP 2010 Screenset
Location: Leland NC

Re: XYZ Probe

Post by TReischl »

I like those vises!

Actually they are a big help for something I have been thinking about doing for quite a while. I'll see how it turns out if and when I get around to it.

But like I said, I like those. Also have a very, very low profile which is great on machines without a lot of Z.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Jones

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Posts: 693
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:48 pm
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle
Contact:

Re: XYZ Probe

Post by sharkcutup »

The vise is a slight modification of another vise I had found someplace, not exactly sure where. Mainly built the same except I had added nuts for the threaded rod to travel through instead of threading it through the wood. The nuts are held in place with epoxy or a very strong glue. I also added a 1/4" metal pin into the center of the clamping jaw board and sealed it in with a 1/4" wood dowel glued in. I also changed hole mounting locations to fit/match my hole spacing on my CNC table spoilboard.

When I had originally saw this vise I liked the idea too that it was a low-profile vise and that it could be easily made. It has been a very handy addition to my CNC machine.

Here are the .dxf files for the smallest vise. It can be easily scaled to a bigger size if needed.
Vise.zip
(6.94 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
Sharkcutup
Facebook: Hogan's CNC Crafts
www.hoganscnccrafts.com
V-Carve Pro 10.022

Post Reply