3D finishing

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
ezurick

Re: 3D finishing

Post by ezurick »

electrictermite wrote:That was the answer I was looking for is just jog down Z to new surface and reset Z to zero before running finishing gcode.

I hope I don't add more to your confusion, and I realize this is your first 3D... but you must use a little common sense with ALL of these CNC projects. As others stated several times, you use the SAME Z level for the finish as you did on the rough. DO NOT change the X Y... they are set for the boundaries of the rough of course. Simply change the tool for the finish... jog to the spot you zero'd the rough tool. Zero it and plug away.

One thing I have to admit when I was starting with 3D and learning... be sure to watch the tutorials over and over... to get the total concept. Because every machine is different for toolpaths and settings, I would suggest to work with a 3D project that is already made, such as one of the free monthly projects. Dissect it and change every toolpath to settings for your machine. Some of those settings in the rough are very important to get right; otherwise you could put unnecessary strain and abuse on your machine if enough material is not removed for the finish. I hope some of this helps. Good luck! Make sawdust! lol.

wmgeorge
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Workbee 1000x750 Mach 4 PMDX Controller

Post by wmgeorge »

Ok I was going the ask that same question, but now thats out of the way.

So as I did today I wanted to add some text and then a profile boundary to the 2 step 3D/2.5 D image. So do I just Zero any remaining tool paths to the same untouched Zero area I used for the 3/2.5 D image or do I try to zero to the actual finished surface?

Today I did the OEM zero and it seemed to work. Live edge, bark on edge on old walnut.
IMG_4597.JPG

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

wmgeorge wrote:Ok I was going the ask that same question, but now thats out of the way.

So as I did today I wanted to add some text and then a profile boundary to the 2 step 3D/2.5 D image. So do I just Zero any remaining tool paths to the same untouched Zero area I used for the 3/2.5 D image or do I try to zero to the actual finished surface?

Today I did the OEM zero and it seemed to work. Live edge, bark on edge on old walnut.
IMG_4597.JPG

The way I handle text on a 3D carve is to do a preview of the rough and finish 3D toolpath. Then on the 3D visiual, place your mouse over the area you want the text to be carved. At the bottom of the screen will show you the actual XYZ. Whatever the Z is showing, I place that in the "Start Depth". Then additionally, select the "Project Toolpath onto 3D Project" at the bottom of the toolpath menu. Be sure to hit that "Selector" and select the 3D object that is in question. I normally just select them all if there are more than one... I haven't noticed anything unusuall by selecting them all. Then re-zero your Z of the tool to the top of the material... and presto!

wmgeorge
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Workbee 1000x750 Mach 4 PMDX Controller

Post by wmgeorge »

Ok that really helps. I must of lucked out and had the the 3D image selected when I selected "Project on 3D" Thanks for the time you took to help!!!

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

As far as I know, there is no need to “select” any 3D model at all when using the Project Onto 3D Model.

If a model is present (or a zillion models) on the workspace (selected or not) the Toolpath will be projected upon it or them.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC