Playing the Flute (Toolpaths)

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
BigC
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Workbee

Playing the Flute (Toolpaths)

Post by BigC »

Hi
I'm gradually working my way through some of the Vectric Tutorials (in an effort to learn more about the software) and I'm about to make a small demo panel (perhaps out of Oak)
It will have 3 longitudinal flutes and a Tudor Rose either sunken (dish type) into the same piece of stock or into a raised piece attached to it.
Anyway getting back to the fluting part Rebecca states in that particular video that she is using a 1/2 inch wide bullnose to execute the job along a set of 3 single lines.
I do not have any 1/2 inch tooling bits in my arsenal as I only have a Makita palm router as my spindle. (1/4 and 1/8 inch collets)
How can I achieve the 1/2 inch grooves? How do I draw the toolpaths to achieve this using a 1/4 inch (6mm) BN mill?
I want a shallow gradual ramp at the beginning and the end.
Probably a simple answer but I just want to be sure I'm doing things correctly. Once I know, again this knowledge can be transferred to a multitude of tasks in the future.
Thanks again for your time and trouble in replying to the above query. it is very much appreciated
Regards
C

BigC
Vectric Wizard

Re: Playing the Flute (Toolpaths)

Post by BigC »

Ok maybe this cannot be done with bits I have at my disposal (6mm being the widest) I've tried a few times using box vectors and nothing seems to work out (maybe you know different)
I was wondering if these babies can be used
fluting bit.PNG
https://routercutter.co.uk/round-nose-core-box

and "if so" and more importantly, How does one set them up in the Tool Database?

Regards
C

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

C.
If that is a .25" Radius/.5 Diameter...then it can be entered as a .5" Ball Nose.
IF wider diameter, then enter as a form tool (don't have the form tool tutorial at fingertips,but look up the procedure).
Try a Smooth Ramp/Start and End/100%...and see in preview if that does what you want.....vary percentage to change to what you want.
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

BigC
Vectric Wizard

Post by BigC »

scottp55 wrote:C.
If that is a .25" Radius/.5 Diameter...then it can be entered as a .5" Ball Nose.
IF wider diameter, then enter as a form tool (don't have the form tool tutorial at fingertips,but look up the procedure).
Try a Smooth Ramp/Start and End/100%...and see in preview if that does what you want.....vary percentage to change to what you want.
scott
Thanks Scott
I used that as an example, I have some cheap but similar bits that may work, not sure of their dims but its worth a try
Good to know I can maybe enter their data as a BN
Let you know how I get on
Regards
C