Associative Toolpathing Issue

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
TSmith88
Model of CNC Machine: Onsrud

Associative Toolpathing Issue

Post by TSmith88 »

I've set up a toolpath template that should apply toolpathing based on the layer name imported from AutoCAD, but I'm having issues with it missing some of my vectors and I'm not sure what the cause is due to the seemingly random nature it chooses which ones not to toolpath. Specifically I'm trying to use a pocketing toolpath, and I've overlapped the pockets by 1/2 the diameter of the cutting diameter to be sure I'm not leaving a radius of uncut material in my pocket.
Pocketing toolpathing.jpg
Here is what I'm trying to toolpath. The red lines are pockets, the blue lines are outside profile cuts. The green circles are 5MM holes.
Pocketing Toolpathing 2.jpg
Here is what it looks like when I calculate my toolpaths. You can see there are a few that were ignored.
Pocketing Toolpath Issue.crv
(1.09 MiB) Downloaded 76 times
Here is the actual VCarve file if anyone can help me figure this out I would greatly appreciate it.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: Associative Toolpathing Issue

Post by mtylerfl »

I’ve not downloaded your file yet (THANK you for providing it), but you may want to try pocketing the vertical and horizontal pockets as separate groups. In the past, I have encountered similar “missing” Toolpaths when overlapping pocket vectors but solved the issue by creating separate groups (vert and horizontal ones). (I’m assuming you’ve already checked for open vectors and other issues already.)

I’ll download the file later on and take a peek anyway.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

TSmith88

Post by TSmith88 »

When you say to group them differently, are you suggesting creating a "horizontal pocket" layer and a "vertical pocket" layer, or am I misunderstanding what you meant?

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

When you say to group them differently, are you suggesting creating a "horizontal pocket" layer and a "vertical pocket" layer, or am I misunderstanding what you meant?
Not layers but separate toolpaths one for the vertical pockets and one for the horizontal pockets. You can duplicate the one toolpath you have already created just use different name (ex: 3/8" Vert. Pocket or 3/8" Horz. Pocket) and assign the appropriate vectors to it. Be sure to take the vectors away from the other toolpath whether it be the horz. or vert. pocket vectors.

Just a quick note too you can merge the two toolpaths as long as they use the same tool!!!

Just an interesting note here: Be careful in what is said because none of the so called pocket vectors are "Grouped" They are all "standalone" pocket vectors either vert. or horz.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

TSmith88 wrote:When you say to group them differently, are you suggesting creating a "horizontal pocket" layer and a "vertical pocket" layer, or am I misunderstanding what you meant?

Select all the horizontal pocket vectors and make them a Group (just press the letter G on your keyboard)

Select all the vertical pocket vectors and make them a Group also.

Then select one of those groups and create the Pocket Toolpath for just that group.

Repeat for the other group.

Run a Toolpath Preview for everything and see if all appears well and correct.

BTW, grouping is not essential - just makes things more organized and easier to select if you need to change any Toolpath specs later. If you’re using layer/Toolpath associations, you’ll need to create and associate each group with an appropriate layer.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

TSmith88

Post by TSmith88 »

mtylerfl wrote: Select all the horizontal pocket vectors and make them a Group (just press the letter G on your keyboard)

Select all the vertical pocket vectors and make them a Group also.

Then select one of those groups and create the Pocket Toolpath for just that group.

Repeat for the other group.

Run a Toolpath Preview for everything and see if all appears well and correct.

BTW, grouping is not essential - just makes things more organized and easier to select if you need to change any Toolpath specs later. If you’re using layer/Toolpath associations, you’ll need to create and associate each group with an appropriate layer.
Yes, I prefer to work with layers and the "Select all vectors on current layer" option works well for that when I have to manually toolpath parts.

What I really want to be able to do is set up a Toolpath Template with all the layers for commonly used toolpaths set up in AutoCAD, and import and use that same Toolpath Template each time I want to nest from AutoCAD (which is fairly common, and I would like it not to be necessary to set up a new toolpath template every single time). Then I use the Apply Template to All Sheets gadget.

I REALLY wish VCarve had a way of creating a toolpath template that would pull tooling information from the CURRENT database for when I change the bits out, rather than keeping the tool information saved from when the template was set up with. I made a seperate post about that and someone gave me the idea of using toolpath offsets with document variables, and I'm still working through getting it completely figured out.