Text Scaling Issue/Question

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
BArnold
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: SO2/XCarve hybrid w/NEMA23 on all axes

Text Scaling Issue/Question

Post by BArnold »

I'm testing a rotary axis I added to my laser engraver. The rotary is driven from the Y axis. Everything is working electrically and mechanically. I set up a drawing and am befuddled by what's happening. My work space is 3" long with a diameter of 1". The text is aligned along the 3" on the X axis. However, when scaling the text to fill the 3" length, I had to set the text bounding box to 24". Below are some screen shots of my setup.
Screenshot 2019-07-11 10.16.43.png
Screenshot 2019-07-11 10.18.12.png
Screenshot 2019-07-11 10.20.13.png
Ideas? Suggestions?
Bill Arnold
VCarvePro, PhotoVCarve, SketchUp, UGS
Member of Mensa and NRA

StuC
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: Craft CNC

Re: Text Scaling Issue/Question

Post by StuC »

Hi Bobbie,

I think this is probably due the text having been transformed at some point during the creation. If you removed that current text, then started some new text in a vector box, put 3" by 1" into the box and typed your text I imagine it will work as expected. The issue with the transform is that the text is created at it's initial dimensions and then the transform is applied. For instance if you created a fresh piece of text in a 3" by 1" box that would fit the model width, then grabbed the transform handle and dragged it to make the text very small, it would still show on the text tool that this text has been created at 3" by 1". This means you would have to put a much larger value in the box dimensions to account for the transform that had been applied.

I've added this as a bug so we can look at this because even though under the hood the text is being created at 3" by 1" then transformed to be much smaller the value we display on the form should be the actual model dimensions of the text.

Thanks,
Stu

BArnold
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: SO2/XCarve hybrid w/NEMA23 on all axes

Re: Text Scaling Issue/Question

Post by BArnold »

Bingo, Stu!

I did exactly as you said and the text box worked as you said it should.

Shoulda known it would be something simple and it sure was!

By the way, my name is Bill. I use my wife's name, Bobbie, in most of my testing so she knows I'm thinking about her! :)
Bill Arnold
VCarvePro, PhotoVCarve, SketchUp, UGS
Member of Mensa and NRA