Where does my machine get it's speed and feed?

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
FoothillFurniture
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: 4x8 Avid Pro

Where does my machine get it's speed and feed?

Post by FoothillFurniture »

I have my feed at 20 ipm in the tool database, but when I run the code on my machine, it's running at 200 ipm? Also does Vectric control rapid speeds, or is that what is setup in my settings? I am watching the code run and the rapids aren't running what I have them in my settings (315 ipm)? I don't see any setting for rapids in Vectric?

Thanks!
Untitled.png
www.foothillcustomfurniture.com

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Re: Where does my machine get it's speed and feed?

Post by TReischl »

Check your gcode for F20.0.

The machine controls rapid, not vectric.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

If multiple axis are moving during rapid moves, the velocity may be higher than your settings, even though each axis is limited to 315ipm.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

ger21 wrote:If multiple axis are moving during rapid moves, the velocity may be higher than your settings, even though each axis is limited to 315ipm.
Depending on the controller. Some interpolate rapids in the same way feedrates are done, and some simply "let er eat", IOW, each axis may travel at its max rate. There are some minor advantages to both, depending on needs.
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

I am a fan of the "let 'er rip" method myself.

Mine hits about 700 IPM on a 45 degree diagonal move. I currently have my rapids set to 500. I would set them higher but then jogging around gets a little strange, I can override the rate with Gerry's handy dandy screen set but there are some other things that it goes full blast anyhow.

When I really like it is when it hits Gerry's Park routine in the software. Away it goes so I can see the whole part and do whatever I need to do. Then when the next program starts it comes flying right back. Nice. Sweet.

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

Exactly correct. A 45* move with both axes at max rate will yield the fasted "over ground" speed. 1.414 (sqrt of 2) times the max rate. in your case 707 and change ipm.

Those that interpolate rapids will run 500ipm "over ground" with each axis running at ~354ipm. Easy to tell which returns quicker sheet cycle times.
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

FoothillFurniture
Vectric Apprentice

Thanks for the replies. So when I create gcode from toolpaths(job A), the speed is going to be what it was for that particular tool when I exported it, correct? If I change it later for another job (Job B), is there an easy way for me to see what the speed is for job A that I created 2 weeks ago? Hope that made sense.

Also, should rapids for all Axes be the same, or it doesn't matter if they are all different?

This is a 5'x5' DIY machine I just finished building. I have tested rapids up to 800ipm, but that scared me too death...way too fast! I will keep them at around 300-400 :-)

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

You can use a text editor to look at the G code file (it is a .tap file, in my case.)

A line that looks like F60.0 sets the feed until the next time it appears.

To understand all of the commands, Search the internet for "G-Code".
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

FoothillFurniture wrote:...... I have tested rapids up to 800ipm, but that scared me too death...way too fast! I will keep them at around 300-400 :-)
Head on over to:

http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

That is a link to Screenset 2010, he has versions for UCCNC, Mach3 and I think a couple of other control software packages.

One of the things it does is make using jogs easier. For instance, when a program is running it can use the maximum rapid rate which is great. He has an override setting that allows you to manually jog at several different rates. VERY handy.

His screenset makes using Mach3 a lot better. Not only that, it is not as ugly as the Mach3 screens. That screenset is in my list of "Best Things I have Ever Bought for $20)

tomgardiner
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: FMT Patriot 4 x8

Post by tomgardiner »

What you can do is compile a tool database for various job types, i.e. 3d, hardwood softwood plastics etc. You can organize those tools in the database in their own sub directories labelled appropriately. Unless you are editing the feeds and speeds then you will get the same parameters each time.
Another trick for checking parameters quickly is to hover over the footpath names in the footpath list. A window of useful information will appear including tool, speed and estimated run time.

FoothillFurniture
Vectric Apprentice

Ah, yes, great tip! That's what I was looking for. A quick way to find out what the speed for the toolpath is set to. Thanks!