Wet Birch Wolves (3D wet branch)

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP10

Wet Birch Wolves (3D wet branch)

Post by scottp55 »

Just posting so people interested in branches and firewood can see me muck up in real time :)
IF you have an aversion to rambling...Stop Here!!

I had 3 paper Birches next to my garage that were just too darn close to my steel roof, and as I had my tree guy coming to cut down a Poplar that had 10' of it's crown snapped off and Hanging over my 300 gallon Propane tank....I had him cut the Birches down so an ice storm wouldn't have them damage my eaves. I dragged one 10' section into the garage on that November day.
In April I got a Japanese Log Saw I'd ordered in December, cut off the checkered trunk end of log, and cut into 24" sections and brought into shop and sealed the ends.
There was a small drop at the end of the log where the trunk split...it stayed on garage floor.

On a day I felt like doing mindless cutting just to take my mind off stuff...I jigged one of the 24" sections and surfaced down enough to give me a decent flat for stable jigging...thinking I was going to use the for 3D's in the future. The wood was WET, outer bark was a shredded mess on the cut edge, BUT peeled off CLEAN leaving 1 layer of outer bark.
4.16.19 BIRCH 2 ACROSS GRAIN3 PEELED.jpg
Kinda liked the looks of it, so did a second one the next day...and the other 2 the next week when I started to think they might be decent legs for a rolling table IF they dried ok. So now have 4 "Legs"
4.17.19 BIRCH TRUNKS.jpg
Haven't carved in 2 weeks, as doing Dad's Mountain Topo....a vibration/noise developed(Z-tension spring was rubbing,but STUBBORN 3mm bold kept me from taking Z-carraige apart :evil: ).
Seeing as next planned carving was a lot of font's on the bottom of my Dad's memorial Maple Burl....I needed a "Scrap" 3D project to make sure Z movement was all better.
Enter the April "Waste Drop" :)
Cut off Most of the check...
6.9.19 BIRCH 1.jpg
Determined which face I wanted to carve, and then jigged up the backside cut so that when flipped and jigged....both of the split trunks would be approximately at the same cut height;
6.9.19 BIRCH 2 BACK SIDE JIGGED.jpg
6.9.19 BIRCH 3 BACK SIDE JIGGED.jpg
Added a last minute support wedge(plastic splitting wedge) so I could cut the first part more aggressively, and when wood started to get interesting, started taking lighter passes to see how and when crotch grain started appearing, and taking notes as I'd never cut that in Birch before.
6.9.19 BIRCH 4 BACK SIDE TO FIRST DEPTH.jpg

Wood was STILL wet to the touch, but when I stopped, it sanded easily with Abranet 150-600G.
Then out to tablesaw now I had a flat surface, and trimmed 2 endgrains free of checks.
I applied my Earthpaint Linseed(NO dryers/slightly less cooked compared to 2 years ago)/Beeswax 80/20 "Butter" melted in double boiler mix I use. Slathered the end grain, and light coat on the surfaced and then hit with Master heat gun, and wiped off excess that didn't soak in. Heat not totally necessary, but DOES help penetration even with a hair dryer.

TOLD you to Stop there :D ..............couple minutes to type next section
"Go not where the path may lead;
Go instead where there is no path, and leave a Trail"
RWE

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Re: Wet Birch Wolves (3D wet branch)

Post by scottp55 »

Kinda subtle, but will still be an interesting back?
6.9.19 BIRCH 5 BACK SIDE ONE COAT.jpg

Jigged up so I could see end grain where the "Wolves" would be.
HOPING to get Female Wolf into that dark area(as well as their noses),and the Male at LEAST looking kinda decent.

Put spacers on X and Y axis so I could over cut if needed.
Then took an almost straight down pic(hard from wheelchair not to get Any angle on pic:( )
Cropped pic to my X,Y fences;
6.9.19 BIRCH WOLVES 7.9x10x2.02 APPDATA.jpg
Then added to my "Wood" in AppData file, and made a 50X res file the same exact size as the jigged material in pic above.
Then imported the Wolves, and used that 2yr old Walnut model to ROUGHLY place the model where I thought I wanted it.
THAT was as far as I got by 6:30pm...Leo's Law..."Quit when Tired" :D :D
6.9.19 BIRCH 1 FRONT.jpg
6.9.19 BIRCH 2 FRONT APPROX PLACING.jpg
6.9.19 BIRCH 3 FRONT APPROX PLACING.jpg
6.9.19 BIRCH 3 FRONT GRAIN APPROX PLACING.jpg
NEED to look at that 2yr old file(which dish used), see if that will work here.
Shrink/enlarge flat model...increase model height(?)...get exact placement...and make a 10% stepover Finish Toolpath with my 3" long 1mmTapered Ball Nose I'll use as a Roughing path.
Doing it this way so I can see exactly what the grain pattern is doing, and if model is going to "Fall Off" the surface.
To start I'll run the toolpath, and the "Nudge" my Z-Zero down...CAREFULLY writing down EVERY NUDGE!
Until I'm within about .015"(depends on cut quality) of where I want to "Butter" up the cut, and stick the .25mmTBN....DROP my Z-Zero by the total of my Nudges PLUS an Allowance.

Have to quit playing by 1PM...so may not get to cutting today :(

Bored yet? :)
Stay tuned in case I TOTALLY MUCK IT UP! :D
scott
RWE

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 Build 48X36X10 RP 2010 Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Will Batman survive? Will Robin go over the falls? Stay tuned fans!!!!!
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Jones

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

3" TBN will probably turn the WET wood into HASH Ted :D
STILL..I LOVE PLAYING.....AND it will let me know how my Z is doing...AND I won't cry Too bad if it doesn't work!! :D
RWE

WNC_Ed
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD4 AXYZ 4010

Post by WNC_Ed »

Scott, Great start ... on the edge of my seat.

Ted,
Will Batman survive? Will Robin go over the falls? Stay tuned fans!!!!!
ah the good 'ole days.
Attachments
B&R.jpg
Maker of sawdust

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

You always have the mostest bestest coolest stuff going on.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind

www.leosworkshop.com

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Came in for more Java!! Gone as far as vector boundaries and node editing will get me....Kinda might work?
Going to play with a Dish/oval and take some measurements afterwards....Male is lined up with bigger vertical piece/model height increased to .75", but WANT the Female to have high figured wood above her,AND below... with her all dark wood.....NOT there yet :(
Thinking Dish/Oval won't get deep enough for the high figure wood..we'll see:)

I'm the oldest of 7...on Saturday Cartoon Day....Dad and I would take turns making the Batman noises in the balloons for the non-readers:)
"BOOOM!!" "SPLAAT!!" :D :D

Back to drafting/measuring!
RWE

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Leo,
DARN good thing that this was Primarily a cut to see if I got rid of a 3-Axis hum/vibration/loss of Z position on my ZCarraige!
I blew off what I Should have done that day, and cut/remodeled/and cut again from 10am-11pm.
Hum/vibration gone, and position stayed accurate TILL I ran into a wooden clamp at 9pm :oops:

Did I mention this Birch is WET!
Mom dragged a couple pieces from the pile to my garage so I could cut them into slices for her.....One of them had a branch...the branch budded and has LEAVES!!!
FIRST thing to remember when cutting Wet Birch 3D's.... is "DON'T" :)

First vector boundary looked kind of OK,
6.11.19 WOLVES CURVE FIT NODE EDIT.jpg
but also tried the Flat_Round_Oval dish, and the Dome_90_dish and didn't like the visualization of how it would fall off the Branch shape.
Wound up using the Outline Vector Boundary of Flat_Oval after it was reshaped....First one of the Offset/curve fit/Node edited version MAY have been better?
(BUT stuck with it now)
6.10.19 WOLVES FLAT-ROUND OVAL VECTOR BOUNDARY.jpg
First real mistake was that I was using a pic of the Birch in AppData for reference, BUT it's difficult in a wheelchair to take a STRAIGHT on shot while it was jigged. even at 3 different
It was slightly off angle and cropped "Off" a shade....so by driving around with the TBN on the machine...it was .125-.2 inches Off from the screen preview in Y.

Second mistake was to try to make model as large as I could, and only measuring material roughly in 4 spots at estimated cutting depth.
As I'll probably keep cutting found branches/wood...going to make a base for an adjustable pencil holder to make marks on bark at estimated cutting plane, then measure with calipers!

On Dad's "Mountain" I used an Offset Toolpath for the roughing with the .25"shank 1mm TBN at 20%...FUZZIES(that disappeared at 10%stepover)and worked Very well.
So set this one up the same....but first plunge was .55", so Z-Zeroed to spoilboard, then Nudged my Z-Zero up .25" so that first plunge was only .3".
It mainly cut air after the tall section of wood, BUT let it run so I could see the gap between wood and bit at the edge of the model....GOOD thing I DID!
No WAY the Female's shoulder was going to hit one very steep part of the branch!
Shrunk the model .25", and moved it closer the left side, and up a hair(model height after previewing was lowered to .55).
Ran the very beginning of the new file at the same height and sopped when it was cutting air.
Lowered Z-Zero down .2" so I was at my original Z-Zero and cut the whole thing....Wet Stringy Fuzzies even at 3 different feeds and 3 different speeds.
6.10.19 WOLVES RESIZED MOVED CUT TO HIGH POINT.jpg
SOooo...thought I'd try my Wood Butter trick, and layed it on kinda thick, and turned DC off to prevent oiled wood going into DC, and lowered Z-Zero .2".....wet, OILY FUZZIES!!!! :oops:
6.10.19 WOLVES WOOD BUTTER MESS.jpg
Cleaned it all off, dropped Z-Zero another .2" (Model still wasn't cutting everywhere) and cut.
THIS time not quite so bad, BUT saw that I'd hit a bark inclusion on her head, RIGHT where Offset Toolpath did initial Plunge, and it had taken a big chip out of His face!!!
6.10.19 WOLVES DOWN .5 INCH 1.jpg
6.10.19 WOLVES DOWN .5 INCH 2.jpg
THIS time I put a fast drying Resin/citrus thinner on it, hit with heat gun.
Lowered Z-Zero .1" AND swapped to Rastering Across the grain starting off the piece at the bottom.....BETTER:)
10:30pm at that time, so SLATHERED it with wood butter...cleaned up, and QUIT :D

Yesterday am, I cleaned all the excess Butter off, and hit with heat gun and then left the fan on all day...pretty dry today.
NEED to Node Edit the Oval Boundary....put new clamps on, then remove old clamps, as I think I'll be cutting into the Spacers.
I'm already down .6"...which is .2 more than I estimated, but hoping that Bark inclusion will go away(or at least just become a Beauty Mark:)

Ted..I TOLD you to stop reading!
Ed, sitting on the edge of the chair leaves Marks!! :) :)
RWE

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Pics of yesterday am.

WILL BATMAN RECOVER FROM THE DEATH OF A THOUSAND CUTS....AND GET HIS CLEAN CUT APPEARANCE BACK? !!!
WILL BATGIRL SURVIVE THE JOKER'S BRAIN SURGERY? !!! :D :D :D

(Can Scott pull a rabbit out of his hat? is more like it:)
Attachments
6.10.19 WOLVES DOWN .6 ACROSS GRAIN.jpg
6.10.19 WOLVES DOWN .6 11PM SLATHERED.jpg
RWE

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Amazing craftsmanship Scott. I really enjoy following your projects.

Glad you got the Z issues taken care of....
John
Maker of Chips

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 Build 48X36X10 RP 2010 Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Glad I am not the only one who winds up on these "quests"!

This week I started out planning the lid for the foredom carving bit and accessories box. Hah! That was two days ago. Somehow I am now working on a new clamp and DRO system for the RAS. I think it is because I was not having any really good ideas on what to put on the top of that box, flubbing around, not liking anything I was doing, etc. For CRIPES SAKE! It is only a carving bit box that will sit in my shop! But I am now on a quest. . . .meanwhile. . . .
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Jones

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Thanks John! :)
Yep Ted....but you usually learn a lot, and sometimes your "Problem Children" become your favorites:)

OK...Changed jigging, and lowered Z-Zero another .1" to a total of .7" Below the original "High Point" cut....way better on Fuzzies!
6.12.19 WOLVES NEW JIGGING.jpg
6.12.19 WOLVES .7INCH 1.jpg
Overnight Butter slather,wipe excess and dry a day seemed to help.
Female still has that bark embedded...so cleaned bit/BladeCote'd it/dropped Z-Zero down Another .1"....and cutting now.
Getting good grain pattern above their heads now:)
6.12.19 WOLVES .7INCH 2.jpg

TOUGH deciding which lens to have on camera with all the critters:)
6.12.19 YEARLING.jpg
RWE

Coogara
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot Desktop

Post by Coogara »

I don't see any buds sprouting on that last picture, Scott. :wink:

Great work, as always. Just fascinating to see what you get up to. Usually something left of centre. You teach me something every time.
Graeme Chandler (Australia)
ShopBot Desktop
Aspire 8

TomM21
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD4

Post by TomM21 »

Being new to CNC, I’m amazed at reading posts and the creative ideas like this one people come up with. Thank you for sharing

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

That's 'cause the little almost 10 month old has a sweet tooth and has eaten all the buds Graeme :)
He's been alone the last 2 weeks...I think it's a Male and his one year older twin sisters finally kicked him loose...at least they took care of him through late Winter and all Spring after his Mother died!
HERE'S the pics of that same Birch I'm cutting now, that Mom dragged into driveway for me to cut....in Full Leaf!!!
6.13.19 SAME BIRCH IN DRIVEWAY.jpg
6.13.19 SAME BIRCH IN DRIVEWAY CLOSE.jpg
So not only am I cutting a SOFT "Perishable" Hardwood that's SOAKING wring WET...it's also "Torsion Wood" where the trunk split :lol:
Sometimes I question my sanity, BUT it was a good Z axis test!

Thanks Tom! I'm actually just Playing and experimenting...certainly learning a lot!

SO...Slathered the piece with Linseed/Beeswax mix yesterday..hit with Master heat gun and wiped all excess off. While wood was warm, gave it a coat of Earthpaint Pine Resin/Linseed/Citrus thinner
(10/40/50) and let it sit 30 minutes before wiping excess of and heat gunning it for 5 minutes. 4 hours later, another coat of Resin mix.
(feels a little like Poly/Linseed(Tung?)/citrus thinner(D-Limonene) in a 10/40/50 ratio....pretty fast drying, and a little hard.....50/50 shellac might work?)

Left the fan on all night, and then chucked the 3" long .25"shank .25mmTBN in, and then SLATHERED the cut.
Dropped my Z-Zero down -.81" "Equivalent to a .01" Allowance if cut regularly with a Roughing pass).
6.13.19 BIRCH WOLVES SLATHERED FINAL CUT .25MMTBN.jpg
Once bit was totally onto the bottom of the wood, I noticed the left side was almost not cutting(This wood is almost ALIVE!)...stopped the cut and dropped Z-Zero another .005".
Cutting started at 9am, and will finish a bit after 3pm....Fingers CROSSED that slathering with Wood Butter was the right thing to do!!
Just didn't want spindle fan blowing for 6 hours on such wet wood.

Yep..I'm Nuts! :) :)
Knock on wood for me people :D
scott
RWE