A way to create a Boder around a JD Logo

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
mikenbrenda
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3 XXL

A way to create a Boder around a JD Logo

Post by mikenbrenda »

Is there a way for Vcarve to create a Border around a Jack Daniels Old no 7 sign? like to follow the outside curve of the Graphic or SVG itself, like an offset? I tried to do it and it will not unless i am doing it wrong, I can create text and it will do a nice job of a nice offset around the entire name for example and flow the outside of the letters nice, I tired grouping the objects in the SVG, that did not work, what do i need to do if possible? I don't want just a rectangle around it..

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: A way to create a Boder around a JD Logo

Post by Adrian »

You can use the offset tool to create a border based around shapes like that. You may need to create another offset from that one to maintain the "style" of the vcarving as having just one border will reverse the in/out parts of the carve.

mikenbrenda
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3 XXL

Post by mikenbrenda »

Well it just offsets around all the parts of the logo, do I need to group them then and offset them them gain?

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

Did you try the Vector Boundary tool? I suspect that is what you are looking for.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

mikenbrenda wrote:Well it just offsets around all the parts of the logo, do I need to group them then and offset them them gain?
Just select the parts that you want to offset not the whole thing. You'll have to ungroup the vectors if you got them grouped for some reason.

Depending on how the vectors are connected and the look you're going for you might get better results with the Boundary Create tool as suggested by Mike. Try both tools as they can give different results and see which fits your final design.

Jim_in_PA
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger II SR-44 (MacOS user)

Post by Jim_in_PA »

Do your first offset with the text selected with a "larger" offset so that you effectively only get the "outside" contour of the letters. Then resize the result as appropriate and add a second offset of that to create a border of whatever width you want.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Sorry if I'm way off base, but something like this?
Image 435.png
John
Maker of Chips