Freeebie file are much bigger than my workarea

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
ElderlyGent
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha FX

Freeebie file are much bigger than my workarea

Post by ElderlyGent »

HI all.
I am a newbie to 3d, but have done a lot of pen making and general wood turning in the past, so not exactly a total one. It was my Brother in Law who works for Woodcraft that got me into this some years ago, and it was he who did a 3d course and now takes classes for Woodcraft. That said, it was after I looked at some of the pieces he made that the bug bit me.
I bught a Piranha FX as it is the entry level machine and it works perfectly. I spent weeks trying to learn the 'How to do its' tutorial videos in Vectric before taking the plunge and it has helped a lot.
So just been making several test pieces for now.
I have met some little problems that some of you well established experts might be willing to sort out for me.
One is that when I measure the thickness of the work piece there always seems to be slight variations. So when setting up the work in Vectric which reading do I use? This seems to make a difference when getting to the last cut. does it cut through or not. I have had both happen.
But the main one is that some of the 'Freebies' I see are ones I would like to do, such as the decorated boxes. when I download them and open them in Vectric they all need a big work area, such as 2ft by 2 ft or more. Now my work are is a mear 1ft by 1 ft. So the files are much bigger than that. I think shrinking them is not the way to go, so how do I get round this. do I try to select each one in turn and make a seperate file for that,,,, 6 to a box. or is there an easier way to do this.
Also with the supplied Vectric Desktop there are NO gadgets available. so I can't create my own with the box creator unless I upgade to Pro for an extra £300. Not tight, but just careful. If pushed then I will get Pro upgrade.
So any suggestions will be more than just appreciated. thanks in advance.
EG.

rtibbs
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot desktop

Re: FREEBIE FILE ARE MUCH BIGGER THAN MY WORKAREA.

Post by rtibbs »

Elderly gent,
I feel your pain. I too started with a small ‘desktop’ machine to see if it was something that would hold my interest. Very shortly I realized that CNC had me hooked and within a couple of months I upgraded to a larger unit for some of the reasons you state. I also upgraded to VcarvePro.
I was fortunate that the manufacturer, Next Wave Automation, credited me the full retail price of my unit when I bought a larger unit from them.
As to the thickness of material I always set to the thickest dimension of the wood and my cut depth to about .030 greater. You do have a spoilboard don’t you. I also surfaced the spoilboard as I found any discrepancies of the cutter to the bed not being parallel through the whole range of the machine would leave some portions of of the cut not completely cut through.

Oh yes, if I had a larger shop I probably would go with a larger machine :mrgreen:

ElderlyGent

Post by ElderlyGent »

Thanks for your input..........most helpful, I hve to admit that as my UserName iplies I am a very,to some Elderly (OK 87, but chipper and sprightly) and am a Brit Snowbird with my lovely American wife, so we winter in Florida where I have another workshop. (Garage) so perhaps if I try your idea NWA might be tempted to allow me the same discount. I was thinking of the FX again , but if they do that then a bigger machine would be perfect. So which one did you go for?
Best to you and yours
EG.

Bob Reda
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot 48x48 upgraded prt

Post by Bob Reda »

There are a couple of things you can do. First and simplest is to resize the model to fit your work area. This will give you smaller objects than what you may have in mind. The next is to tile the project and that would be to index the x and y in order to move your workpiece to the next partition. It is not really that hard, just some index marks on where to start and stop. The third is as the above person mentioned is to get a bigger machine :D
As far as thickness, all wood has variations, for 2.5d work, be a few thousandths below the work surface to start as in the material set up. As far as cutting through the piece, with a little practice and maybe lying to the z axis you will be able to do it.

Good luck
Bob

sylvan356
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1 w/Rotary, Aspire 10

Post by sylvan356 »

As to how deep to cut, it depends on your hold down method. If you are using (like I use) the blue masking tape-superglue method it is much easier. I determined that the two layers of blue masking tape and superglue (do a search on this forum for the method) is almost exactly .008". Therefore, I set my Z depth to the actual depth of the material and the machine "Z" to the table top. I find that it cuts completely through the material leaving one or both layers of blue tape. No cutting into the spoil board anymore!
Sylvan

ElderlyGent

Post by ElderlyGent »

My thanks to you , Bob, as this explains the way to do this for me. I shall do this ASAP and see how it works out.
I do have a spoil board that is the full size of the table, and skimmed out the work area to makesure it ws level with the gantry, The work pieces being a tad smaller than that and are square, are screwed to it in three corners. Being , as I said a Newbie to this for now until I progress up a level I am using the same sixe work pieces so the screws go into the same holes in the spoil board, limiting damage to that for now. It works well for me now.
So much to learn, but at leat | am now st the start of the curve.
Best to all there
EG.

martin54
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber System 48,Denford Triac Modified

Post by martin54 »

OK first thing you need to do if this is all new to you is to start working your way through all the tutorials, don't just watch the videos, download the tutorial files & then work along side the video, you will learn far more this way. Don't cherry pick, start ith the basic stuff & work your way up, he more complex stuff is easier to understand that way.

If your work area is small then if you don't want to make the parts smaller then you will have to work out another way to fit the parts in, easiest way to do that is by using layers, set up layers for each piece, that way you can keep everything in the one file rather than having lots of different files. Name the layers by what the parts are, so maybe Front, Back, left side, right side lid & base. If you can fit more than one piece on the work area at a time then do that to maximise your waste & have fewer layers.

You don't really need gadgets to create wooden boxes, plenty of designs where the gadget wouldn't be used, it really comes down to if the extra features offered by Pro are worth it to you. To some they are & others they are not, often it is the restricted size limit of Desktop that is the main factor :lol: :lol:

Start here for training :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://support.vectric.com/training-material