Odd Results

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
FurnitureGuy
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3 XXL

Odd Results

Post by FurnitureGuy »

Hello,

This is not only my first post on the forum, but also my first time making 'official' cuts using my VCarve Pro software and Shapeoko 3 XXL machine. So I'm probably a bit of a noob to say the least (despite the dozens of hours of research and preparation). :)

Anyway, I was doing what I thought to be a rather simple operation. I glued together a few boards and created a simple wood panel (out of white oak for the curious). I was having the machine do 3 cuts/toolpaths to create two smaller panels of the original and create a square edge on one end. (attached a picture to illustrate; taken directly from the VCarve Pro software.

I saved the toolpaths as one just so I didn't have to load, run, repeat. Well, I got everything set up and started the job. The first pass was great, and I was so happy to finally get going after months of preparation (so many speed bumps to to speak). Then, the Shapeoko ran the second toolpath right over the first, and then the third toolpath was kinda flipped I guess you could say so that it cut off a smaller panel on the wrong end.

No big deal in the end as I got what I wanted, but why in the world did it do these odd 'glitches?' Probably user error, but I gotta learn one way or another!
Attachments
Software Screenshot
Software Screenshot

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Re: Odd Results

Post by dealguy11 »

Would help to see the actual VCarve file with the toolpaths. Given that the cuts are pretty simple, it should be small enough to post.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

FurnitureGuy

Post by FurnitureGuy »

Posting file! Should've done that the first time. My bad.
Attachments
Cuts123.crv
(39.5 KiB) Downloaded 76 times

Bob Reda
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot 48x48 upgraded prt

Post by Bob Reda »

I ran the file through my software and it seems to be ok and doing what you wanted to do. If it did the first pass ok and screwed up the second, it has to be machine related. Don't know the capabilities of the machine but the depths look ok. I guess the only thing missing is the speed of the bit.

Bob

jimwill2
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CaMaster Stinger w/recoil, FTC

Post by jimwill2 »

My guess is that Bob is on the money with your machine capability. If you push your machine too fast or too deep it can bog down and lose it's place. If you go too fast while plunging it will skip a step and then it cuts deeper. If you crowd it on x it will skip in that direction and you are off on x. White oak is pretty hard stuff. You will have to find out how fast and deep you can cut on different materials. Start slow and very shallow and see how it cuts.
Jim Williams

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

The V-carve file looks OK.

The preview did what it was supposed to do.

If the preview is good then the G-code is good.

The problem is going to be on the machine side of things.

What post processor did you use to post the code?
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

FurnitureGuy

Post by FurnitureGuy »

I'm a simple man, so I used the Carbide Motion that is standard with the Shapeoko.

See, ever since it happened, the only thing I can think of it possibly being was on the machine end as well. I had recently had a 'chain' issue, and believed I had corrected it.

However, there's two details sticking out in my mind that says something else is to blame (on top of running the machine at a reduced speed due to it being the first time along with running it in hardwood and being concerned about the speed it cut through it). First, I didn't hear any skipping of the chain or strained engine noises, or anything else that would indicate an issue with the machine losing its place physically. Second, the extreme accuracy of the second cut right on top of the first. The second cut was exactly 0.125" beyond the first. I can't imagine some sort of machine issue would still be that accurate, but I am new at this.

Thanks for all the replies so far.