shifting planes (not metaphysical!)

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
endgrainguy
Vectric Apprentice

shifting planes (not metaphysical!)

Post by endgrainguy »

One of the main uses of my newly built CNC woodworking machine is joint cutting, where the spindle is turned horizontally, for cutting dovetails and mortise and tenon. To use regular CAD/CAM techniques for this purpose, I've defined a second mill in Mach, where the y and z are reversed, and appropriate soft limits used for that configuration. My machine is fixed gantry, moving table for Y travel, so in horizontal mode the Y travel is only a couple inches, with the table extended all the way towards the operator.
One can draw a joint as if it were to be cut on the face of stock whose measurements are a cross section of the piece to have a joint cut in its ends, and then the horizontal mill will cut the joint. The thing I"m having trouble with is the tool paths will of course plunge in the y direction ( it being the usual Z direction), and I would prefer for Y to stay fixed, doing all my movement simply on the x and Z (here defined as Y) planes. The Y plunge puts force on the workpiece in a way that makes it more likely to move under the clamp, and is more likely to create tearout. I should be able to get around this by figuring out how to draw my pocket vectors in such a way that it will plunge into a place where there is actually no stock, and then it will do all its cutting the way I want, and I can excuse it a few extra moves, but so far have been unable to figure out how to do even that. And I was thinking there must also be a more elegant solution, somehow limiting movement entirely to the planes x and what we usually think of as Z (in this machine's case, Y) . Is there any way to control the tool path so it enters the pocket at the top of a vector, which could then be fully above the stock? Any way of controling where in a pocket vector plunging will occur?
Thanks!
I thought this was supposed to make life easier?

endgrainguy
Vectric Apprentice

Post by endgrainguy »

Well I finally figured this out. I don't know if what I was asking was just too simple, or my explanation too off the wall, but thanks for even considering the question! I now look forward to cutting stacks and stacks of perfect through dovetails! Half blinds are next, and they should be easy. (famous last words)
I thought this was supposed to make life easier?

Gnarly Gnu
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Gnarly Gnu »

endgrainguy wrote:Well I finally figured this out.... thanks for even considering the question!
No problem, I'm sure we are all glad that we could assist! :wink:

Hey what you are doing sound interesting, if you ever have the chance to post some photos it would be great.

RoutnAbout
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 24x18 Desktop

Post by RoutnAbout »

Yes I'm also glad we could be of assistance, :)
I was grasping what you are attempting to do, but not sure where your have troubles at , As Og said pictures, pictures,pictures.
Roll of Honor <-- Never Forget
________
Don