drill bit set for the Dremel??

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
diegomonzon

drill bit set for the Dremel??

Post by diegomonzon »

Hello Everybody

I'm new in the forum and also very new in the cnc world, so new I don't even have a machine.... yet :-))

But I decided to buy a Fireball V90 cnc, it uses a Dremel and I was wondering if some one could suggest a drill bit set for the Dremel.

I'm planning on making 3d wood works with Vcarve pro and Cut 3D, like the one in the attached picture. Maybe some photos in acrilyc too.

Thanks, this forum helped me a lot on understanding how cnc machines work

Diego :P
Attachments
Carved_panel.jpg

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

For 3D work you will want an 1/8" ballnose. Dremel has an 1/8" ball nose bit (9905) that is solid carbide. That might be a starting point. There are other suppliers of bits with 1/8" shanks that you could look into such as Bits & Bits (<-link)

For roughing passes an end mill might be handy.

Thkoutsidthebox
Vectric Wizard

Post by Thkoutsidthebox »

I'm not sure if your aware of it but that image you posted is of a door about 6 feet tall!

I have never experienced a V90, and it might be great, but I would strongly suggest getting a machine which can fit at least a router spindle with speed control instead of a dremel.

A dremel tool is very light duty for 3D wood cutting, and a router spindle with even 1/4" collet will give you more flexibility and variety when looking for tooling to suit your specific jobs. Having said that, I don't know what type of work your looking at doing, and if its small wood carvings up to about 6 or 8 inches, then maybe a dremel would be fine.....just m2c.

Thkoutsidthebox
Vectric Wizard

Ok, I had a quick look at the V90. The site doesn't say how much it is, but it does say that other tool holders are available instead of the Dremel tool holder. I would suggest investigating that. Check if the performance of the machine changes with a heavier router in place of the dremel too.

diegomonzon

Thanks Rcnewcomb

Post by diegomonzon »

Thanks Rcnewcomb
I appreciate your fast answer

could you tell me what other bits should I buy??

I have usd 120 for buying bits, maybe a little more

thanks again

Diego

diegomonzon

Post by diegomonzon »

Thanks Thkoutsidthebox

I has no idea it was 6 feet tall, but I have no intention to do things that size

I found more information about the Fireball cnc at http://www.probotix.com/ and here http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Fireballcnc

And here http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/Fireba ... rowse/b3e0

thanks for the advise

Diego

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Regarding your other questions about bits -- I prefer solid carbide: start with an 1/8" ball nose, an 1/8" straight cutter. Start with 6 of each. Expect to break several bits as you learn the proper RPM and speed to move the tool.

The ball nose is for 3D work and the straight cutter is for cutting out the finished piece. Learn how to use these two basic bits in these sizes before you try larger or smaller bits. Depending on the depth of the carvings you may need to get longer bits, but otherwise use the shortest bit possible to reduce runout.

Smaller bits give finer detail but are easier to break.

The material you cut can also influence your bit choices: plastic, solid hardwood, softwood, plywood, MDF, MDO, foam, marble, etc.

If you want to do some Vcarving then get some engraving bits as well in different angles.

-----

Since it was mentioned earlier, I too would recommend that you look at a spindle rather than a dremel. You may be frustrated if you need it for consistent production 3D work, but if you are looking at this as a machine for learning CNC and don't mind doing some cleanup by hand then the dremel will be fine.

Explanation:
The dremel has more runout, i.e. the bit wobbles rather than staying dead center - particularly with axial (side-to-side) loads. This means that your edges and corners may not be crisp and clean. If you plan on doing cleanup by hand then this isn't an issue.

Many artists do their rough cutting with a machine but finish it by hand. (I still occasionally do handwork on some pieces just to help bring them to life.) However, if you are expecting fine detail straight off the machine for 3D work you may be disappointed with the dremel.

diegomonzon

Rcnewcomb Just what I needed

Post by diegomonzon »

Rcnewcomb Just what I needed, thank

I found that people at the Fireball V90 forum where talking about making a holder for the Bosch Colt VS router

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-PR20EVSK-Ho ... B000ANQHTA

Do you think that router will work better than the dremel??

Thanks Again

diegomonzon

bits

Post by diegomonzon »

Rcnewcomb

Are the two bits thay you suggest?

http://www.bitsbits.net/index.php?main_ ... ucts_id=86

http://www.bitsbits.net/index.php?main_ ... ucts_id=72

Sorry for my ignorance, I suppose / hope everybody starts like me.

Thanks once again
Diego

Thkoutsidthebox
Vectric Wizard

Re: Rcnewcomb Just what I needed

diegomonzon wrote:Rcnewcomb Just what I needed, thank
Do you think that router will work better than the dremel??
Thanks Again
If the mount is suitable, then that would be better than the dremel.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Are the two bits thay you suggest?
Yes, those are the two.

diegomonzon

Thanks

Post by diegomonzon »

Thanks Rcnewcomb and Thkoutsidthebox

Your help is very useful

Diego