Walnut Wolves Salvaged

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Walnut Wolves Salvaged

Post by scottp55 »

In 10/2017 I was playing with Black Walnut branches salvaged from my Aunt's tree that I snagged before they hit the fireplace with my brandy new Tiny TBN's.
And had a comedy of errors that resulted in this;
10.17 Wolf Pair Chinese .25mmR TBN.jpg
Never did post except on this thread to show how rugged the little guys are;
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=29295

Been looking at that mistake for a year and a half with other branches on one of the couches, so had some time today and decided to DO something! :)
4.18.19 WOLVES 4 BRANCH.jpg
Kinda liking it even with only 1 coat of Linseed/Beeswax butter on it....may even sign it:)
4.18.19 WOLVES 2.jpg
4.18.19 WOLVES 3.jpg
4.18.19 WOLVES 5.jpg
scott

Now if I can just get myself to detail sand the insect sides of that Yellow Birch burl display and finish it! :D
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

redwood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom Pro6

Re: Walnut Wolves Salvaged

Post by redwood »

That is fantastic, I've never tried anything that small with such detail. How do you hold the branches down?
Mark
Pioneer, CA

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Thanks! I LIKE small projects in free wood:)

First side can be a pain,as only clamped on one end of my swiss cheese threaded insert spoilboard, but can usually manage to jig and shim in a few minutes.
1.23.18 SHIMMED FOR HEARTWOOD1.jpg
1.23.18 SHIMMED FOR HEARTWOOD2.jpg

Light cuts on the first side, usually only enough so I have a flat surface to flip it and it won't roll....second side can be cut more aggressively.
1.23.18 SIDE 2.jpg

Usually on branches I also shim so heartwood line is roughly horizontal.
Here's that wolf branch;
9.21.17 WALNUT BRANCH CH TBN .25MM R.jpg
9.21.17 WALNUT BRANCH SURFACE WH 1.25 MORTISING.jpg
LOVE finding wood in firewood pile:).....................
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

FIREWOOD 2.jpg
FIREWOOD 2 BACK.jpg
FIREWOOD 2 FRONT 1.jpg
WALNUT 3 SIDE1 SHIMMED.jpg
WALNUT 3 SIDE1 SHIMMED.jpg
WALNUT 3 SIDE2 SHIMMED.jpg
WALNUT 3 SIDE2A.jpg

Been playing with WET Paper Birch this week...........
R.N.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

4.14.19 BIRCH 1 ACROSS GRAIN.jpg
4.14.19 BIRCH 1 PEELED 1.jpg
4.14.19 BIRCH 1 PEELED CLOSEUP.jpg
4.17.19 BIRCH TRUNKS.jpg
4.16.19 BIRCH 2 ACROSS GRAIN3 PEELED CLOSE UP.jpg
Fun work that doesn't require too much thinking :)
R.N.

Savannahdan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8

Post by Savannahdan »

I see that you're the culprit who removed the wad of paper from under the restaurant table. The table now wobbles like crazy. Just kidding. Funny what we do and use to clamp things.
Love your projects and the table you made to hold them during milling.

Beltramidave
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: FLA Saturn 4x4 / 7W & 60W lasers

Post by Beltramidave »

Absolutely beautiful Scott!! It just amazes me the detail you can get out of something so small. Everybody is always trying to get things done as quick as possible, but when you just slow down a bit, it makes all the difference.
Great save!!
Dave
https://lakesedgewoodcraft.com/

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Very very nice Scott!

Thanks for all the great info on how to set up branches too.

My only problem is that around here we have pine, some more pine, then we have a few oaks, some more oak, and did I mention we even have more pine?
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

Roly
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Roly »

Absolutely love your work.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Hey Dan...One of the first things that showed up after I agreed to help Dad with his project, was 500 business cards.
LOVE how much force Shopfox clamps can give<AND how clamps also force material down to spoilboard, BUT jaws have a very small throw!!
IF I can't space it to use a BBPLy wedge(solid wood can loosen on long cuts/alternating ply layers hold better I've found), then I have use scrap thin stock I have 5 gallon buckets of left over from buttons/keyfobs...AND not averse to using .07"tongue depressors, AND defunct .105" RARE business cards(only 300 left:) :D Thanks Dan!

Hey Dave, Just takes smaller and smaller bits. Shout out to Randall for turning me onto those .25mm TBN's!
You know me Dave...IF there's a tiny detail(Like Deer eyballs/Owl nostrils/Beaver teeth/ad infinitum) that the model maker went through the trouble to make. I WANT it!! :)
I do tiny stuff 'cause I'm Lazy...and don't have the time for Big stuff! :)
GLAD I left plenty of wood at the cabinet saw, so I could sneak up to the look I wanted on the stationary belt sander with 180-400G.
Gotta LOVE "Creative Sanding"!! Saved Many projects! :D Thanks Dave!

Thanks Ted! Normally don't cut White Oak(just because I don't HAVE any), but DID scrounge some from my Mom's woodpile a couple years ago when looking for "Bumps on a Log" for 3D project.
Because I wanted the bump exactly so on this one Oak log where the bump sounds solid(others had bark under the bump)...THIS one DID take almost 30 minutes to jig up!
1.9.19 FIREWOOD JIG MICKEY MOUSE.jpg
1.9.19 FIREWOOD JIG MICKEY MOUSE2.jpg

"Mickey Mouse" or "Rube Goldberg"...it DID the Job,and LOVING the contrast between the wood, and the weathered/fungused/carpenter ant chewed exterior!
1.9.19 FIREWOOD OAK AND WALNUT POSSIBLE SQUIRREL.jpg
1.9.19 FIREWOOD OAK AND WALNUT 1.jpg
Got a Sketchfab Owl, I'm trying get placed on the bump, so Owl face is Oak, and then feathers gradually disappear/fade into the gray cambium(we'll see if it works).
Mom said "THAT came out of my woodpile?!"....may be more White Oak in my future once ground is hard enough to raid her woodpile again! :D
Keep an eye out for easy to surface firewood TED:) And maybe check out any tree guys working around old homes where nut and fruit trees were often planted, and now coming down?
Nothing the matter with free or low cost hardwoods!

Thanks Roly! Not REALLY work when you like it! :D
Attachments
FIREWOOD 2 3 4 5.jpg
FIREWOOD 1 BACK.jpg
R.N.

woody53
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Probotix Meteor 25 x 50

Post by woody53 »

Scott,
I'm always amazed at the size and detail of your work. Its what I would call picture perfect. I could say keep up the Good work, but that's All you do. Always enjoy seeing what you are doing.

Dave

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

That's because I don't Always show my "Learning Experiences" Dave. :D

For instance, who knew that that with my bit Above my dust skirt, AND cutting with the grain on wet Paper Birch, would make a Gremlin with a "Bad Hair Day" look GOOD!! :D
Lower the Whiteside 1.25" Mortising bit .25" Below the dust skirt, and cutting Across the grain was the ticket:)
4.14.19 BIRCH 1 WITH GRAIN.jpg
Been taking lessons from a Pro in my backyard, but even he doesn't always get his cuts perfect :D
He dropped this Sugar Maple while the sap was running to get the tender top branches, BUT it dropped right across some previous Poplars that kept it out of the water.
He's been doing ballet moves, some gymnastics, and even some belly-flops for two weeks to get the stuff that wasn't low-hanging :D
4.4.19 BEAVER GIRDLED MAPLE FOURTH DAY.jpg
4.5.19 BEAVER GIRDLED MAPLE FIFTH DAY.jpg
Thanks for the comment though Dave!
scott
R.N.

redwood
Vectric Wizard

Post by redwood »

Wow Scott, you are giving me some ideas, but I don't really know where to start. I have some knarly pieces of Manzanita I would love to attempt something on. I'm wondering if I could use my planer to flatten out 2 sides, very slowly. Maybe run it through the bandsaw to get a start on one side first.
Mark
Pioneer, CA

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

First side is the hardest because it will tend to move.
I don't always get a Rock Solid clamp in the first side, BUT when shimmed...it's pretty solid...enough for .05-.08"passes with the direction of the wood.
Every piece is a little different, but if you could get one side flat with bandsaw(even if only 2 good size surfaces) you're more than halfway there.
Then flip, and take down the bandsaw cut if you want.
I've seen others screw a board to the ends, and then clamp Those.
I've seen Bessy/Irwin clamps on the workpiece, and then clamp Those down.

Don't think you need 2 parallel face either.....I wish I hadn't dimensioned as may of those walnut branches as I did for possible Owl type projects like in pic.
1.7.19 BLACK WALNUT OWL2  ON MACHINE BRUSHED.jpg
Once you determine which face you want on to, and flatten the other side.....EASY to take the second side down at anytime in the future.

ALMOST cut some Manzanita branches near Tucson a long time ago for funky drawer pulls in kitchen...but resisted defacing Mt Lemmon grove....still opening cabs with fingers :D

The hardest part for me is finding something to do with it, that will be better than what Nature ALREADY did!
Very enjoyable for me to take a branch down gradually, and see the changing features as you go!
Had one piece I stopped JUST before the Heartwood on the Walnut merged, and there was a little heartwood figure on one side..........
It looked almost EXACTLY like the view from the Cape Porpoise looking out past Goat Island and the harbor entrance!
Had Robert Rickard visit the shop from NY, and he actually ate at that viewpoint at sunset the night before...and he recognized it(with some squinting:)...so I gave it to him:)
Ya just never know what you'll get....but because of the effort on your part....It'll always be special! :)

Even got John(highpockets) going to be looking over the arborist's shoulders when they cut a Special Oak down....and he'll be snagging anything interesting :D
Attachments
WALNUT 1 2 3 B.jpg
WALNUT 1 AND 3B.jpg
5.8.18 BB1 1 BARE.jpg
5.18.18 BB FINAL DEPTH UNSANDED 4.jpg
9.30.18 YELLOW BIRCH BURL 1.jpg
R.N.

redwood
Vectric Wizard

Post by redwood »

I just checked the firewood pile of Manzanita, there were a couple of what I hoped to be OK, but probably too checked. I guess I need to seal the ends after cutting them. Two sides of my property are lined with Manzanita, so lot's to choose from. I also have some Oak and Madrone. Lot's of pine trees, but they are probably not worth trying to use. I don't have any on my property, but there are lot's of Cedars in the area, as well. I make mostly signs out of 2x12 milled redwood that I stock, and they carve surprisingly well. I also stock Port Orford Cedar, for furniture and it does not carve that well. Lot's more cleanup for some reason.

Here is a Cedar slab that someone gave to make them a address sign. He was going to stain and finish it himself.
Danny's slab8.jpg
Mark
Pioneer, CA