Inverter Output to Spindle Questions

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Tioga
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna Swift

Inverter Output to Spindle Questions

Post by Tioga »

I had the opportunity to help diagnosis a dead spindle problem on my Laguna. Whilst doing this I measured 130 volts AC to ground at each of the three leads that feed the spindle. The voltage between any two of them was 0. At the time of measurement the spindle should not have been spinning (no program being run). So here's my question - what does the inverter do to to control the speed of the spindle ? Does it change frequency or voltage or something else ?

BTW I'm new to the CNC world.

Tom
Tom

rtibbs
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot desktop

Re: Inverter Output to Spindle Questions

Post by rtibbs »

The output to the spindle is 3-phase 0-400Hz. The RPM is controlled by varing the frequency.
I’m sure one of our EE types out there can give a better explanation however, that’s my take

wmgeorge
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Workbee 1000x750 Mach 4 PMDX Controller

Post by wmgeorge »

Three phase out of an Inverter should read Nothing to ground, phase to phase while its running you will get varying voltage and Hz (cycles for us old timers). Having said that you could be getting some stray leakage and its very easy to see that with the good DVM used today. What is important is if its working ok or not?

You do have your control box and power wiring properly grounded, correct? Otherwise your going to have stray voltage and other issues.

Mobius
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CRP Pro 4848 Custom Build

Post by Mobius »

wmgeorge wrote:Three phase out of an Inverter should read Nothing to ground
Why would you get nothing to ground? Voltage is potential energy. If there is electrical energy present at the terminals, then you should have a reading based on the potential energy at the terminals vs. 0 potential (ground)?
Connor Bredin
Distinctive Dimensional Concepts Ltd.
www.distinctive-concepts.ca

Tioga
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna Swift

Post by Tioga »

So I did some research (talked to a tech). My master power on/off is mis-wired. One of the line-in wires by passes the switch, hence there's one live line feeding the inverter. Then speculation has it that with just one line hot, the act of putting putting the volt meter leads on ground and any one of the inverter outputs causes a small current sufficient to have the inverter generate voltage.

This is now mute as I have rewired the switch to interrupt both line-ins.

Thanks for the input.

Tom
Tom

wmgeorge
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Workbee 1000x750 Mach 4 PMDX Controller

Post by wmgeorge »

Mobius wrote:
wmgeorge wrote:Three phase out of an Inverter should read Nothing to ground
Why would you get nothing to ground? Voltage is potential energy. If there is electrical energy present at the terminals, then you should have a reading based on the potential energy at the terminals vs. 0 potential (ground)?
Depending on if the power source has a grounded secondary. Not all three phase or single phase transformers have a secondary leg grounded if it did, that leg becomes the neutral or grounded conductor. Not to be confused with grounding conductor used as an equipment or system ground. However the new DVM are so sensitive they can pick up stray voltage or phantom voltage on just about anything. This is based on over 60 years in the electrical field most of which was industrial or commercial.