2 sided machine tooling

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
janabutts
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark

2 sided machine tooling

Post by janabutts »

I am a cnc newbie and am not sure what the steps when you flip your material and use the dowels to align how do you assure your bit is in the correct place?

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: 2 sided machine tooling

Post by highpockets »

John
Maker of Chips

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

There are a few tutorials covering 2 sided machining but if you are new to oth the software & CNC machining you would really be better learning the basics first :lol: :lol: Takes more time but will give you a better understanding in the long term, work your way through the tutorials from the start rather than cherry picking the bits of interest :lol: :lol: Most of the tutorials come with files you can download & then work alongside the video tutorial.

janabutts

Post by janabutts »

I have been working my way through the tutorials. That doesn't seem to be my problem. My problem stems from the machine can't find any real help with my machine. I have a shark. Sometimes on a cut it starts right where I think it should. Then the next time my machine will move up maybe 5 inches on the board and start cutting. Thus, I don't understand the actual movement problems I'm having with the bit. That's what I meant earlier in my question about the bit placement. Sorry probably still clear as mud. But actual machine movement is where I'm struggling.

Stephen50
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot Desktop

Post by Stephen50 »

Another source of information regarding your Shark cnc is the Rockler Shark Forum. Hope this helps you in resolving difficulties your having with the x & y axis.

mcsteve
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro HD

Post by mcsteve »

I have a shark as well and sometimes I have had issues with the 0,0,0, position. What I've learned is that if I ensure I return to home, Set Z0 and then load the code file my "issues" are minimized. Most of the time when I have had 0,0,0 issues it has been resolved by loading a random code file, setting the 0,0,0, then loading the file I actually intend to use. For some reason the Shark controller appears to not completely clear it's RAM and loading an additional file then the one you want helps to clear the issue.

As far as 2 sided machining, I am still in learning mode on that one as well. I'm using the chess set from Next Wave as my current learning project and it has thrown some good learning opportunities. The videos have been a great help though. If time is not a complete issue here, I would suggest building the jig for the chess set and working through a couple of pieces. Or for a quicker lesson the few two sided projects of the month posted by Vectric such as Cool Cubes project or Beki's cribbage board are great projects to learn this process on.

Steve

WNC_Ed
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD4 AXYZ 4010

Post by WNC_Ed »

Not clear as to whether there is a problem with errant cuts or if the machine is cutting correctly but not in the expected order.
If you are getting cuts in the wrong place that's a post your file kind of issue. Also, if you slow the preview toolpath down does the previewed toolpath match the actual cut?

If the machine is cutting correctly but just not as you expect it to, I would suggest that it is the order of your vector selection for the tool path.
For example My current project is a two sided project that on the Top has a long pocket near the bottom along the X axis. It also has a pocket almost the full length of the Y axis on the right hand side. It has matching pockets on the Bottom.
When vector selecting for the tool path for the top, I am selecting all the pockets by starting at the bottom right holding down the right mouse button and dragging to the top left. Since the Y pocket is closest to the starting point it is the first pocket cut.
When I vector select the bottom now the Y pocket is on the left side and the X pocket is the closest to the mouse starting point on the bottom right so the X pocket is cut first.
Maker of sawdust

janabutts

Post by janabutts »

Thank you so much for your help. My machine is cutting the correct toolpath but will for some reason move to the wrong starting place on my material. I will definitely try returning to home and setting my Z0. Yesterday it moved incorrectly with the first cut and had I not had a longer piece of material then needed on my machine it would have been completely off the material.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

When you do your initial material set up what position are you setting for your X Y zero position & are you using the same position when you physically zero your machine?
You need to watch this especially if you are opening files such as the vectric free projects, the software defaults to the last position used so if you load a project that uses the material centre for X Y zero & you are use to working with the bottom left hand corner then if you don't notice you will set the wrong X Y zero position on the machine & won't get the results ou are expecting :lol: :lol:

lsvien
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark

Post by lsvien »

Like Martin you have to watch your X0Z0Z0. I also have a shark but mine is with the PC controller software not the newer ones with a pendant. The machine can return to a previous zero position after you clamp down a piece of wood. If your not using a jig to exactly position the piece it could be off.

One place to also look is in your Job Setup. XY Datum Position. There is a check box to use an offset for XY. This feature will create conditions much like you described. Some folks use that feature and park their machine off to the side or in a corner and have the offset move the bit to the center of the project. You really have to watch that if you are using some "borrowed" projects. Those settings come with the project. My experience is once that box is checked it remains checked when you then start a new project. The XY Datum Position, Use Offset also comes in checked with the last offset values from the previous project. That has happened to me. Bring in a project from someone else's design and the Offset values send the gantry off in directions you never expected.
Mother Nature always bats last!

Steve Burke
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger1

Post by Steve Burke »

Just a thought, but when you design your part are both sides designed from the same X0Y0, or are the top and bottom showing in different sections of the X Y screen?