Semi OT - rabbet bits for 23/32 plywood

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
mountaincraft
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: DIY 4' x 8' CNC Router/Plasma

Semi OT - rabbet bits for 23/32 plywood

Post by mountaincraft »

Anyone know where to get a rabbet bit (with the cam follower bearing) that cuts 23/32"w rabbets for plywood? I can only find them in full sizes (1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 3/4, etc.), but plywood is pretty much all 23/32" these days..

I could use my CNC for precision rabbets, which I have been doing up until now, but it's kind of a PITA... Would be so nice to just be able to pop a rabbet bit in the router, run it along the edge of the plywood and be done with it...

I'm not rich, so affordable would be nice! :mrgreen:

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: Semi OT - rabbet bits for 23/32 plywood

Post by adze_cnc »

Use a 3/4" (24/32") bit and use a 1/32" spacer to stand it off resulting in a 23/32" cut?

Use an 18mm rabbet bit and call it close?

tfrank
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick 3x5

Post by tfrank »

Why the need for the follower bearing if you're using in the CNC?

I have a couple of bearing-less versions that I frequently used on the router table or handheld router (against a guide fence) that now get used primarily in my CNC. They are:

Freud 16-116
CMT 811-682

Presumably, from the attached, Whiteside has a couple varieties as well. I keep this table in my useful router/cnc files, but I don't own any of these particular bits.
Attachments
Plywood Bit Dimensions.gif

mountaincraft
Vectric Craftsman

Post by mountaincraft »

tfrank wrote:Why the need for the follower bearing if you're using in the CNC?

I have a couple of bearing-less versions that I frequently used on the router table or handheld router (against a guide fence) that now get used primarily in my CNC. They are:

Freud 16-116
CMT 811-682

Presumably, from the attached, Whiteside has a couple varieties as well. I keep this table in my useful router/cnc files, but I don't own any of these particular bits.
You misread my post.. I'm trying to avoid using the CNC as that is a major PITA in comparison..

With the cam follower, I only have to cut the panels to size on my table saw, and then just run the router along the edge (what, 10 seconds or so?).. I can just put it in one of the old sears or black and decker routers I have sitting sround, set the depth and go. then once set up, just set it aside and use that router just for doing that..

much easier tan huffing a full sheet of plywood onto the table, writing a new program for whatever size panels I need (and always several different sizes), then doing the hold downs, puling it off, separating it from the main sheet, cleaning up tabs, then cleaning up the table, etc. etc..

mountaincraft
Vectric Craftsman

Post by mountaincraft »

adze_cnc wrote:Use a 3/4" (24/32") bit and use a 1/32" spacer to stand it off resulting in a 23/32" cut?

Use an 18mm rabbet bit and call it close?
I'm not understanding the spacer idea, especially since I need a slightly 'smaller' bearing...

But the idea that there would be a metric equivalent is something I hadn't considered.. definitely something to look into..

I could always just make the panels slightly larger, then use the 3/4, and then use a flush trim bit afterwards, but that involves another bit, additional router (if I want to leave it all set up for repeat usage), and another operation..

off to look into a metric alternative...

mountaincraft
Vectric Craftsman

Post by mountaincraft »

Okay, the 18mm will work (it's only .009" bigger)..

Tools Today tool sells an Amana collar set for metric sizes..

I'd have to call them to find out for sure, but I think I'd have to buy their SAE sized bit/collar set (like $80-90) and then their metric collar set for it ($30-35)

Kinda pricey, but might be worth it anyway.. They also have an insert version, that I'm sure costs a lot more)

Anyway, thanks! Now I'm on the right track!
:P

mountaincraft
Vectric Craftsman

Post by mountaincraft »

I 'think' this is what I need!

SAE Rabbet bit ($42) https://www.toolstoday.com/v-6178-49340 ... mfjun1HgCE

18mm Rabbet Bit ($37) https://tools.toolstoday.com/woodworkin ... pYf5xekDB8

mountaincraft
Vectric Craftsman

Post by mountaincraft »

I would prefer a 1/2" shank. but at least now I know the things exist and have a basis from which to search from..

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

mountaincraft wrote:I'm not understanding the spacer idea, especially since I need a slightly 'smaller' bearing...
Why a smaller bearing? Presuming you would be using a 3/4" rabbeting bit this would make the bit effectively larger as it can cut deeper before being stopped by the bearing.

In the absence of a larger bearing, to make the cut shallower, using a 1/32" spacer (or shim if you like) would make the cut shallower by moving the bearing away from the edge of the material.

For that matter you could saw your edge 1/32" larger and then cut with the 3/4" rabbeting bit and then trim off the 1/32" to size making a 23/32" rabbet.

Steven

--
Creep, crawl, toddle, walk, run
Best answer for mundane question? Help > Help Contents