Flared Corners on inlay

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
OldMagnolia
Model of CNC Machine: OX Custom Build

Flared Corners on inlay

Post by OldMagnolia »

I am a new user with the VCarve software and have run into a speed bump with obtaining sharp corners with the v-bit. I can produce the correct pockets with the endmill and the VCarve path seems to be right but when it approaches a sharp outside corner, the lines flare out as the bit retracts and the same as it re-enters. I have check all the parameters of the bit to make sure they correspond to the tooling loaded in the software. Any assistance to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: Flared Corners on inlay

Post by Rcnewcomb »

when it approaches a sharp outside corner, the lines flare out as the bit retracts and the same as it re-enters
Is your control software Mach3? It may be a constant velocity (CV) setting.

Can you post a photo?
How does it look in the preview?
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

The other thing it could be is that the angle of the v-bit doesn't match the angle set in VCarve.

OldMagnolia

Post by OldMagnolia »

I am using Mach4 currently and I have checked all the bit parameters to ensure they match.

OldMagnolia

Post by OldMagnolia »

I have tried to post a picture and have failed repeatedly. The preview shows square corners but we get what looks like half of a bow tie. As stated earlier, on a letter such as “L”, the line on the vertical part will be correct. As the bit approaches the corner and begins to retract out, it veers outside of that line about 1/16”. It also seems to over run the corner and veers back in to the horizontal line at the top. I will continue to work on uploading a picture.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

The photo file needs to be smaller that 2MB. You can resize the photo using various tools to make the file small enough.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

OldMagnolia

Post by OldMagnolia »

Attached picture.
Attachments
341FEF25-7EAA-44DD-9B4E-34053B1E6A70.jpeg

Mike-S
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Joe's Hybrid 4x4 (but 3x3)

Post by Mike-S »

You'll get those kind of corners if the bit angle is more acute than what you specify in the tools. Just because a bit is labeled 60 deg doesn't make it so--could be 57 or 58. I think that's what you're seeing.

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

Yup... VBit angle is off. Since it appears less than 90*, all will be acute. Your picture shows an actual that is larger angle than is listed in the parameters
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

Paul Z
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot PRT Alpha 96x48

Post by Paul Z »

You might want to have a look at this : http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2164

Paul Z

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

You may have a bit that is not the angle that it says it is but I'd like to ask a question that might point in another direction (probably back to Randall's comment about CV setting in Mach 4).

Are all the 6 lines describing the "L" straight?

The two long verticals seem to be. The two shortest lines are indeterminate. The horizontal line for the top of the leg looks like it might be but the very bottom horizontal of the "L" is very wavy. If that is supposed to be dead straight then the v-bit angle plays no part in it being wavy.

tomgardiner
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: FMT Patriot 4 x8

Post by tomgardiner »

You may have a V bit with a significant flat on the bottom. If you define the bit as a V bit in the tool database then there is no field for defining the size of the flat. V carves will end up incorrect.
If the bit has a flat tip enter it as an engraving bit where you can define the bit's angle and flat dimension. Alternatively you can enter it as a form tool where you define the geometry of the bit with a line drawing of the right side of the bit.

Tom

bk3132
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot PRSStandard 48-96

Post by bk3132 »

tomgardiner wrote:You may have a V bit with a significant flat on the bottom. If you define the bit as a V bit in the tool database then there is no field for defining the size of the flat. V carves will end up incorrect.
If the bit has a flat tip enter it as an engraving bit where you can define the bit's angle and flat dimension. Alternatively you can enter it as a form tool where you define the geometry of the bit with a line drawing of the right side of the bit.

Tom
This is exactly what happened in my situation. When I used my phone to take a real closeup of my 60 degree v bit, I was shocked to see what had happened to the tip. It had become entirely rounded instead of pointed. New bit and problem solved.