Problem with squaring out on corners

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Goodoil

Problem with squaring out on corners

Post by Goodoil »

:cry: After having a computer crash and reloading all my software I find that when the veetool is squaring out the corners of a job it seems like the tool is overrunning and leaving about a .3mm deep line(groove) I can't see that I have done anything different in the settings any thoughts.
Also I'm useing TurbocadV10.2 with great results seems there is'nt to much I can do.
Regards Paul

Goodoil

Post by Goodoil »

I think i've tried everything from backlash com to tightining grubsrews everything is solid tight & firm ?

Wemme
Vectric Wizard

Post by Wemme »

Hi
I have had this before but i can't remember what it was.

Have you check the tool geometery comparied to the vcarve. Some cheap tools arn't exactly always 90 degs etc.

I also have had some funky effect when the material was spring boarding by .7mm
Regards
Bart

Goodoil

Post by Goodoil »

I checked the bit i'm useing it's a 90' bit that takes replaceable inserts I even changed the parameters 5 degrees under & over and all my work is held solid (I do wonder though maybe there is play in the router bearings (thrust))?

Wemme
Vectric Wizard

Post by Wemme »

For anyone wondering what Good Oil was on about I have attached and image of the Squaring problem.
I have used the same tool on the same material with perfect results. Material was not spring boarding nor is there any movement in the spindel.in both cases.
The tool was a 90 Degree cutter.

Q Would a miss calibration in the Z cause this?

I would think not as the Main cut would be equally out as the Sqauring path, May be Tony or Brian can comment on this.

Regards
Bart

Goodoil

Post by Goodoil »

When I look closely at a routed letter more noticeable on larger lettering 200mm High I see that the corners are squared out but the finnishing pass on the letters looks like not a full cut I see the remainder of a squre shoulder at the bottom of the final cut I could the a macro photo of it. Regards to all.

brockadeau
Vectric Craftsman

CORNERS

Post by brockadeau »

I have had a problem before, but it was either a bad point of the bit, or more commonly, thinking I was setting up with a 90 degree bit under the v tool selection, when by error (mine) I had instead put in a 60 degree bit, which alters the corner geometry-- Might just double check this-- Jack

Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

Post by Tony Mac »

Bart / Good Oil,

The picture showing the problem you are seeing didn't get posted?

Can you try uploading it again.

Tony

Burchtree
Vectric Wizard

Post by Burchtree »

I’m assuming that you are generating your toolpaths with VCW 2. When you create your toolpaths and look at the preview do you see the problem there? The preview toolpaths option in VCW is very good. What you see is what you should get. Could you make available the design you are having problems with? Is it just one tool giving you trouble? What brand of machine do you have?
Dan

Wemme
Vectric Wizard

Post by Wemme »

Morning Guys.
Sorry about that was just before bed time when i posted that.
Should be up now.

NOTE the issue is the corners not the red dotted line which is a chip in the tool.

Regards
Bart
Attachments
Square.JPG
(73.83 KiB) Downloaded 426 times

Burchtree
Vectric Wizard

Post by Burchtree »

The first thing that comes to mind is excessive tool pressure. I would try a new tool What brand of machine is this being ran on?
Dan

Goodoil

Post by Goodoil »

The picture that Wemme has posted shows exactly my problem.There's no mistake on the bit I am useing. In the settings 90 degrees the bit is 90 also a replaceable insert and I change it all the time . I notice that the bigger the lettering the more pronounced it is.And I don't see it in the previews. Regards Paul

Wemme
Vectric Wizard

Post by Wemme »

Hi.
Dan,
There is no movement in the Spindle, bed or Z axis. but i will have a look into that again.
I don't think that the Z is loosing position as the all the letters are cut just as well errr bad.
however i think the Z could have been out of calibration with the material surface but i would expect the corners to be rounded as the main cutting would be also deeper and therefore wider.
I have cut a large text sign a coulpe of days earlier with the same tool same sheet with perfect results.

GoodOil.
Have you tried reducing your Z plunge speed and prehaps your x-y feed rates as a test?

Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

Post by Tony Mac »

My guess is that the actual angle of the cutter is slightly less than 90 degrees.

This results in the sides of the letter being undercut leaving material 'on' the job
even though its cutting to the correct depth. The tip of the cutter is then lifted into
each corner forming the correct sharpening path but again leaving material on
the job.

You can test this by,

Draw a rectangle 50mm long x 20mm wide.
VCarve using the 90 degree V-Bit
Cut
Measure the 20mm width - My guess is it might be less than 20mm?

Alternatively, measure the width of the letter you've cut in the software
Measure the width actually cut?

This is only a 'Finger in the air' guess,

Hope this might help,

Tony

Burchtree
Vectric Wizard

Post by Burchtree »

Could you run a letter and without taking it of the machine. Run the letter again. Does it get better, the same or worse. Feel free to email a toolpath file that didn’t work and I will take a look at it. I not a expert but the more people looking at the problem the better.
Dan