Dual Monitor Support in VCarve

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
dmoore
Vectric Apprentice

Dual Monitor Support in VCarve

Post by dmoore »

Over the past five years I've used dual/triple monitors in Windows XP and found it to be invaluable in certain tasks.

We'll I've added an additional monitor to my workshop PC for dual monitor support and it doesn't appear that VCarve Pro natively supports dual monitors (other than just stretching it across both monitors). It would be wonderful and a time saver if it could support dual monitors in the following ways:

• Drawing bar and vectors on one screen, 3D View and toolpaths on the other (right click on the tabs and have a "view on additional screen")

• Zoom in (for node/vector editing) on one screen and the full vector drawing/work piece on the other.

• Even as a simple work-around, the ability to have the vector view and the 3D view as a "split" like you would have in Excel, so that both the vector view and the 3D view on the screen at the same time. Then you could drag vCarve accross two monitors and have it display on both monitors

I can dream can’t I?

Really – if you don’t have dual/triple monitors, go, right now, to the computer store, pickup a 25$ VGA card and an extra 200$ LCD. Some new laptops (IBM’s I know for sure) even have dual VGA outputs as standard. It's totally plug-an-play in XP and Vista.

Thanks,
david

calgrdnr
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot prt with 4g upgrade

Post by calgrdnr »

I agree dual monitors and or plus is the way to go . I would also like to see some more freedom to place drawing and toolpath palletes where ever one would like. ie same side of screen / 1st monitor while using 2nd monitor for the actual editing / viewing. and if you have a third screen 3 d view on it as David suggests. I believe we have asked about this type of options before . :) :D

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Dual monitors are great. But I am happy with VCarve being on just one screen, and here is why:

I run VCarve on one monitor and I run Corel X3 on the other. Since I am very used to editing and creating in Corel I find it much easier for me to do any touch ups there and just hit Save As, then reimport into VCarve. Yup, I know, it is a few extra steps, but it works for me since Corel has some very sophisticated editing and design tools.

You can use dual monitors for a lot more than just your CNC work. After you add one, you will wonder how you ever got along without it.

It is a wonderful thing!
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

HoustonFirefox
Vectric Craftsman

Post by HoustonFirefox »

I too really wish Vcarve had a way to support multiple monitors. As a former programmer I have six 24" LCDs and don't remember how to operate a PC with fewer than two :shock:

From a programming standpoint, I don't think Vectric would have a hard time doing this since they could simply "undock" the tabbed views to a separate modal window. Right now only the layer control box can be dragged outside of VCP but the same technique could be used for the 2D and 3D views.

Vectric staff, email me the source code and I'll be happy to look into this :wink: hahahahaha
CNC Woodworkers do it with a 3D Touch Probe!

dmoore
Vectric Apprentice

Post by dmoore »

HoustonFirefox wrote:I too really wish Vcarve had a way to support multiple monitors. As a former programmer I have six 24" LCDs and don't remember how to operate a PC with fewer than two :shock:
The more I read of your posts makes me think you are the future version of myself. We really should get together when you are in Houston. (You helped me with some Mach3 configuration problems a few months back)

HoustonFirefox
Vectric Craftsman

Post by HoustonFirefox »

dmoore wrote:
The more I read of your posts makes me think you are the future version of myself. We really should get together when you are in Houston. (You helped me with some Mach3 configuration problems a few months back)
Thanks David! As a rule of thumb I try not to associate with people who would have a person like me as a friend :wink:

All kidding aside, I'll probably be back in Houston this week and will give you a ring :D
CNC Woodworkers do it with a 3D Touch Probe!

dmoore
Vectric Apprentice

Post by dmoore »

HoustonFirefox wrote:All kidding aside, I'll probably be back in Houston this week and will give you a ring :D
That would be great! I'm marching right up the software learning curve and on the hardware/machine side I'm pretty comfortable. I've started building a full-sized 4'x8' MechMate (www.mechmate.com) that I hope to finish over the coming months.

LewisB314
Model of CNC Machine: 3018 Pro with custom upgrades

Re: Dual Monitor Support in VCarve

Post by LewisB314 »

2023 and still no multi-monitor support :cry:

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

LewisB314 wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:27 am
Send Vectric a feature request :lol: :lol: If they get enough requests for a particular feature & it is something that is possible then they will look at incorporating it at some point, not sure how easy this would be as I am not a programmer :lol: :lol:

support@vectric.com

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

LewisB314 wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:27 am
What multi-monitor support are you looking for? I run on a single ultrawide 34" monitor these days but I've run double and triple screen setups with Aspire and VCarve for years before that.

My favourite setup was the main screen on monitor 1 and all the tabs permanently open on monitor 2.

RickW3DS
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: LongMill 30x30

Post by RickW3DS »

I use a 40" 4k TV as my main monitor and a 32" 4k on either side for other programs. Aspire is plenty big on the 40" with all tabs / toolpaths open.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

I expect the poster is objecting to the existing "multiple document interface" where the 2D and 3D windows open within the VCarve containing window. Instead he is looking for the 2D and 3D windows to be separate outside of the VCarve containing window as with the two Excel documents below:

multi-windows.jpg

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

When I had a 3 monitor setup I had the 2D window on one, the 3D window on the middle one and all the tabs permanently open on the third. Yes you can't float the 2D and 3D window but, if you undock the tabs or have them set to float you can split them over two monitors.

Most of the design professionals I know are switching to a single large ultrawide monitor these days. Not sure if that is a general industry trend or just the niches I'm aware of. I certainly find it much easier to work with than multiple monitors.

A move to a totally floating 2D and 3D window would be the best of both though.

LewisB314
Model of CNC Machine: 3018 Pro with custom upgrades

Post by LewisB314 »

adze_cnc wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:03 am
I expect the poster is objecting to the existing "multiple document interface" where the 2D and 3D windows open within the VCarve containing window. Instead he is looking for the 2D and 3D windows to be separate outside of the VCarve containing window as with the two Excel documents below:

multi-windows.jpg
Exactly what I would like to do.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Converting from one style to the other for Vectric would not be an easy job at all. Welcome to the world of "Legacy Code". In 2006 it probably made sense to code it this way.