Which tool do I need

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Joeshark
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark HD4

Which tool do I need

Post by Joeshark »

I am trying to make a sign that is 7x- y24. It will be writing not block letters. I used a 60Deg. V-bit. Its blowing out some of the walls between the letters. Is this the right tool to use for this project? Sorry if I didn't explain it any better. Thanks for any info.

tvannaman2000
Model of CNC Machine: X-Carve

Re: Which tool do I need

Post by tvannaman2000 »

Hard to say without looking at it. You may be carving too deep or the letters may be too close together. Some fonts are better suited to vcarving than others. Most people use 60deg vbits with no problems.

There is a tool to change the spacing of letters, I believe you'll have to hold the shift key down when you click to increase the space.

Tim.

Fleming
Vectric Wizard

Post by Fleming »

Another trick you can use to get thicker walls is to compute your tool paths with a large V bit (say 90 deg) and then actually cut with a smaller bit (say 60 degrees). I have used this technique often to solve the problem you are having. :)
Cobblewood Carver

Joeshark

Post by Joeshark »

Ok I'll try the bit trick. Will that keep the bit from cutting so deep?

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

It's always helpful to include the .crv file if you can (copyright permitting) that allows the experts on the forum to sort many problems very quickly.
Often there are various reasons why something is happening & being able to view the file allows them to better understand what is going on :lol: :lol:

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet is your speed, feed & DOC settings, if you are trying to cut to quickly or with a large DOC then this can often cause tearout especially with thinner [arts of a design :lol: :lol:

If you are Vcarving text then yes a V bit or engraving bit would generally be the right tool to use, the angle may depend on a number of factors, font selected, size of text, kerning & even the desired effect will all play a part when it comes to choosing what you feel is the correct angle :lol: :lol: :lol:

Joeshark

Post by Joeshark »

I'll also try different letters. I don't know how to take a picture and then post it on the site. Still learning. Old dogs and new tricks kind of thing. Ha!

NormanAlbert
Vectric Wizard

Post by NormanAlbert »

Don't layout your work with a 90 degree vbit and then actually use a 60 degree. The letters won't turn out correct They'll have little triangular tails at
each corner. Sealing your wood before cutting can help hold the end grain together. Or take shallower cuts. Make sure your bit is sharp.

wmgeorge
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Workbee 1000x750 Mach 4 PMDX Controller

Post by wmgeorge »

So what size is your V bit and what is your starting depth? Is the preview correct and the cut not?

Joeshark

Post by Joeshark »

My bit is 60Deg. Depth is .2. The tool path preview looks good. New bit. I did make a new project with different fonts, will try it today.

wmgeorge
Vectric Craftsman

Post by wmgeorge »

Joeshark wrote:My bit is 60Deg. Depth is .2. The tool path preview looks good. New bit. I did make a new project with different fonts, will try it today.
Yes, its a 60 degree bit, but what diameter? Make sure its entered correctly or the path will not be correct and if its too deep set your Depth to say .1 and I am assuming your Zero is exactly set on top of the material in the actual job.

Joeshark

Post by Joeshark »

Yes I zero off the material service. I'll check the v-bit diameter. I guess I assumed the bit was correct. I really appreciate your info.

wmgeorge
Vectric Craftsman

Post by wmgeorge »

Joeshark wrote:Yes I zero off the material service. I'll check the v-bit diameter. I guess I assumed the bit was correct. I really appreciate your info.
Look at the Tools and then measure your actual bit, they both need to match. The Tool Database is generic and you can add to or modify / edit for the actual tools you use. Never ever assume anything when doing CNC work, always measure. Yes it does make a difference which diameter.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

If you are using the default settings in the tool database then you might want to look at slowing the feed rate down, the default DOC may well be to much as well, when cutting text you need to be running slower than the default settings as I have said in my earlier post. If you are cutting large text then you may get away with default setting, how rigid your machine is can also make a difference, if cutting small text there can be a lot of sudden short movements :lol:

Fleming
Vectric Wizard

Post by Fleming »

Substituting a smaller bit for the one used in calculations --

NormalAlbert is correct that you will not get really clean corners by doing this and for that reason I do not suggest using that technique for large letters. However for small letters what you gain is less collapse of the walls between and within the letters so you get more readable small text letters. And in most cases the slightly disfigured corners are not noticeable. The bit will cut to the same depth but leave more uncut space in the X & Y dimensions. I do a number of walnut plaques for local organizations who seem to want a lot of text in a small area and this technique works for those cases.

I also agree with pre-treating the wood with shellac to strengthen the fibers before cutting.
Cobblewood Carver

Joeshark

Post by Joeshark »

I will try everything that you guys suggest. I am sure things will turn out better. Thanks a lot