Clock gears

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
lfinsr57
Model of CNC Machine: Home built

Clock gears

Post by lfinsr57 »

I've wanted to build a wooden clock for a long time and I think I'm about to jump off of the deep end. I suspect this will be a test of my patience but I've got to at least try. Plans are $45 so it's not the end of the world if I fail. In my previous life I've spent more on a drinking binge and had nothing to show for it but a hangover. :mrgreen: At least I'll have some scrap wood leftover.

I searched the forum for advice regarding cutting gears and came up mostly empty. Plenty of discussion about gear design, flat bottom teeth, backlash, etc., but I could find no mention of securing small pieces of the material while cutting.

I guess it's more of a general question when working with small pieces of material. I have a vacuum pump I use for small items, but gears is not one of the items that lend itself to this. I fear double-sided tape will secure it too well and I'll break things. Any tips on securing the workpiece while cutting?

Thanks

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Re: Clock gears

Post by gkas »

You might try crazy glue with blue tape. It holds really well and peels off like normal.

ozymax
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Home built cnc router using Masso G3.

Post by ozymax »

I've made a few different clocks and have tried a few ways to hold the gears.
On very small gears, I use tabs and sand them away using my scroll saw sanding strips. https://www.cwsonline.com.au/shop/categ ... ll-sanders
For larger gears, I drill the center shaft hole first and pause the machine. Then I use a pan head screw to hold the gear onto a thick spoil board.
Generally speaking you're using quite fine cutters to produce the gears, so there's not much force involved.
The other thing I've found worthwhile, is to do a shallow profile cut first using a 1mm flat cutter then use the up cutter bits. This helps alot in the clean up and sanding of the teeth.

ctbjdm
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: TBD

Post by ctbjdm »

Would you mind sharing (or PM me) a link to the plans? Never considered building a clock but am intrigued!

kzeyus
Vectric Wizard

Post by kzeyus »

A pressure foot may work well also
Ken Zey
Rogers, AR
http://www.CedarSlabSigns.com
http://www.lookoutmercantile.com
Shopbot PRS Alpha 72x144

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

I would use a piece of wood larger than the gear. That gives you something to clamp down. Do all the inside work and use some tabs on the outer teeth of the gear. The tabs can be cut off and sanded by hand.

I would also like a link to the plans as I also have that on my bucket list
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

Jozua
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: EZ-Router

Post by Jozua »

For wooden gear clocks try this link to Clayton Boyer’s website. He offers the option of paper or electronic (DXF) plans.

http://www.lisaboyer.com/ Click on Woodworking Plans. If the link does not work Google “Clayton Boyer”

lfinsr57
Model of CNC Machine: Home built

Post by lfinsr57 »

All good ideas but not sure about the blue tape and super glue, please elaborate. I think the best tip is a partial cut, then hold down with a pan head screw and finish cutting.

Link to clock plans here. I'm sure there are many others as well and I found some posted here in my quest for advice on this topic.

bbiehl
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick II 3x5; Aspire 11.5

Post by bbiehl »

There are also clock plans at http://www.woodenclocks.co.uk
or search Brian Laws Wooden Clocks

-brian

gkas
Vectric Wizard

Post by gkas »

lfinsr57 wrote:All good ideas but not sure about the blue tape and super glue, please elaborate.
The greatest luthiers trick of all - down with double sided tape! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub6PsY4cgwg

steve323
Model of CNC Machine: Homebuilt kit

Post by steve323 »

I use screws in the waste area inside the spokes. This gives at least 3 solid contact points to hold the plywood to the sacrificial board. Cut the teeth first, then cut out the spokes with tabs to hold the gear in place. I use fillets with a 0.6" diameter so I can clean up the tabs using the small sandpaper tube on my oscillating spindle sander.

I cut pinions from solid hardwood. Start with a 3/4" thick piece of stock clamped down anywhere in the waste area. Cut the gears 0.6" deep so they stay attached. Slice them off using a bandsaw and touch up the saw marks on a belt sander.

Steve

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

I was very skeptical of the painters tape and super glue. I never could see how it would hold, but after finally giving it a try I'm sold. With pieces like gears that don't do will on a vacuum table a spoil board with tape and super glue work really well. I use Fastcap's 2P-10 with activator.
John
Maker of Chips

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Turners tape works pretty good. It's double sided and made for attaching wood together for turning on a lathe. Strong stuff but a little difficult to remove. Home Depot also has double sided tape. The one with the red peeling is even better than turners tape but, there again, hard to remove.
Steve

Bob Jr
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom, Shark

Post by Bob Jr »

lfinsr57 wrote:I've wanted to build a wooden clock for a long time and I think I'm about to jump off of the deep end. I suspect this will be a test of my patience but I've got to at least try. Plans are $45 so it's not the end of the world if I fail. In my previous life I've spent more on a drinking binge and had nothing to show for it but a hangover. :mrgreen: At least I'll have some scrap wood leftover.

I searched the forum for advice regarding cutting gears and came up mostly empty. Plenty of discussion about gear design, flat bottom teeth, backlash, etc., but I could find no mention of securing small pieces of the material while cutting.

I guess it's more of a general question when working with small pieces of material. I have a vacuum pump I use for small items, but gears is not one of the items that lend itself to this. I fear double-sided tape will secure it too well and I'll break things. Any tips on securing the workpiece while cutting?

Thanks
Go over to the Shark forum and contact this guy (cjablonski)...He is a clock making machine: http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.p ... 841#p26841

Bob
"Be accurate."
W. Tell

gkas
Vectric Wizard

Post by gkas »

SteveNelson46 wrote:Turners tape works pretty good. It's double sided and made for attaching wood together for turning on a lathe. Strong stuff but a little difficult to remove. Home Depot also has double sided tape. The one with the red peeling is even better than turners tape but, there again, hard to remove.
I've used both turners tape and the ca with tape. The ca with tape holds far better. I only use my stock of turners tape now to stick down acrylic for the drag knife.