Problem with smoothing out a vector

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
RA-Bowtie
Model of CNC Machine: Tormach PCNC 1100

Problem with smoothing out a vector

Post by RA-Bowtie »

G'day guys,

I've got a problem with a vector that I just can't seem to smooth out properly.

I've tried all the usual stuff... fit curves to vectors...but not having any luck.

When I machine this vector (in Aluminium) it ends up having a whole series of flat spots.

I'm not that experienced and I would really appreciate if someone could fix this for me.

I've attached the file and made a note, so as to identify the problem area.

Michael
Attachments
Trans Mount.crv
(348.5 KiB) Downloaded 132 times

Roly
Vectric Craftsman

Re: Problem with smoothing out a vector

Post by Roly »

I may be wrong but if you go into the node editing mode and remove all the points in the problem area and turn that section of the line into a bezier curve, you should be able to manipulate it by the handles to get a nice smooth curve. Worked for me so I hope it helps you. Of course someone else may come in with a much simpler or better method which will give you a good choice.

All the best of the season to everyone on the forum from Roly, in Batlow.

RA-Bowtie

Post by RA-Bowtie »

Roly wrote:I may be wrong but if you go into the node editing mode and remove all the points in the problem area and turn that section of the line into a bezier curve, you should be able to manipulate it by the handles to get a nice smooth curve. Worked for me so I hope it helps you. Of course someone else may come in with a much simpler or better method which will give you a good choice.

All the best of the season to everyone on the forum from Roly, in Batlow.
Hi Roly,

I tried that :)

Well, at least to the best of my (limited) ability

Michael

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Fit Curves to Vectors is working ok for me. What sort of tolerance are you using etc? I'm using 0.05mm tolerance and beziers.

There shouldn't be an issue with the nodes the way they are though. Are you using a post processor that handles arcs?

RA-Bowtie

Post by RA-Bowtie »

Adrian wrote:Fit Curves to Vectors is working ok for me. What sort of tolerance are you using etc? I'm using 0.05mm tolerance and beziers.

There shouldn't be an issue with the nodes the way they are though. Are you using a post processor that handles arcs?
Hi Adrian,

I had the tolerance set at .10

I'll give it a try on the machine tomorrow and let you know.

I'm pretty sure the post-processor is ok, as the other areas that have curves (around the holes) are fine....

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

Michael

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

Looking at the CRV file, and at the nodes - nothing is going to make a smoother vector. I am really fussy about the number of nodes used and I would reduce the number of nodes in there, BUT, it would not change anything in regards to making a smoother curve.

Personally, I would look closer at the machine, holdown, cutter, speed and feed. Something else is going on, it's not a smooth vector issue.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

Timvmax
Vectric Wizard

Post by Timvmax »

Are you using Mach 3? If so you may need to change Exact Stop to Constant velocity

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

I know this is obvious but it isn't mentioned above. In the "Fit Curves to Vectors" dialogue box did you try using bezier curves instead of arcs?
Steve

RA-Bowtie

Post by RA-Bowtie »

Leo wrote:Looking at the CRV file, and at the nodes - nothing is going to make a smoother vector. I am really fussy about the number of nodes used and I would reduce the number of nodes in there, BUT, it would not change anything in regards to making a smoother curve.

Personally, I would look closer at the machine, holdown, cutter, speed and feed. Something else is going on, it's not a smooth vector issue.
Hi Leo,

The area that I'm talking about, is the only part of the vector that I'm having a problem.... the rest looks great!
Even around the 2 bolt holes, is as smooth as silk.

The piece of material is 6061 Aluminium (20.00 thick) and it's held in a vice.
I've spent nearly 2 weeks trying to figure this problem out.
I have checked the backlash on the machine, I've tried several different combinations of feeds and speeds, I've tried Carbide and HSS and they all come out with the same finish.
As you've suggested, I'll reduce the number of nodes and see if that helps.

Michael

RA-Bowtie

Post by RA-Bowtie »

Timvmax wrote:Are you using Mach 3? If so you may need to change Exact Stop to Constant velocity
The machine is a Tormach and the controller is using their Path Pilot software.

I've never seen this problem before.... but to be fair, I've never machined a vector like this before.

Michael

RA-Bowtie

Post by RA-Bowtie »

SteveNelson46 wrote:I know this is obvious but it isn't mentioned above. In the "Fit Curves to Vectors" dialogue box did you try using bezier curves instead of arcs?
Hi Steve,

To be 100% honest, I may have stuffed up and used the "arcs" option... I'm going to re-run the part again today, but try it with the Bezier curve, option.

Michael

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

RA-Bowtie wrote:
Leo wrote:Looking at the CRV file, and at the nodes - nothing is going to make a smoother vector. I am really fussy about the number of nodes used and I would reduce the number of nodes in there, BUT, it would not change anything in regards to making a smoother curve.

Hi Leo,

The area that I'm talking about, is the only part of the vector that I'm having a problem.... the rest looks great!
Even around the 2 bolt holes, is as smooth as silk.

The piece of material is 6061 Aluminium (20.00 thick) and it's held in a vice.
I've spent nearly 2 weeks trying to figure this problem out.
I have checked the backlash on the machine, I've tried several different combinations of feeds and speeds, I've tried Carbide and HSS and they all come out with the same finish.
As you've suggested, I'll reduce the number of nodes and see if that helps.

Michael
Yes, I understand - I looked very closely at that area. I see nothing but good smooth vector lines. I don't believe reducing nodes will help, but it is worth a try.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

Pete Cyr
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger II

Post by Pete Cyr »