Node Editing

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
NGraver

Node Editing

Post by NGraver »

Hi, I'm new here. I just purchased V-Carve and have been loving it. It is a wonderful piece of software. I have been having a problem with node editing though. From everything I read it appears I should be able to toggle a node from smooth back to a cusp node but I can not make this work. It only goes one direction...to smooth.....never back. Can anyone help. The only way I have been successful is to convert a span back to a line. But this changes two nodes...arghh. Please help!

Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

Post by Tony Mac »

Hello Andy and welcome to the Forum,

Smoothing a Node by pressing S or using the Right-mouse menu will only work on node points where,

A line meets a Bezier span
2 lines meet
2 Bezier spans meet

The Smooth command does not work on nodes where an Arc meets either a Line or Bezier span. If this is what you are seeing in your design, place the cursor over the Arc segment and convert it to a Bezier span by pressing B or selecting the option from the Right mouse menu.

I hope this makes sense and helps,

Tony

NGraver

Post by NGraver »

Hmmm..... I specifically want to go from a smoothed node to a sharp node, or cusp node as they are referred to in other vector apps. When I have traced a bitmap it usually creates beziers where I would like sharp corners. I would like to select a node close to where I want a corner and make it into a cusp node. The help files say the "S" key is a toggle . It doesn't "toggle" it only converts to smooth.
Please do not take my reply as rude. I do not mean it that way. I just felt my initial problem may have been misunderstood. :oops:

BTW....I would like to state that I feel the software is very solid. I wish more software went through the same rigorous testing that V-Carve obviously has. I have been using Cad software for many years as a designer, and Cam software for almost as many more as a tool and die maker. While looking for a software package for "at home use" I have evaluated almost everything out there and I can say without a doubt that none have the ease of use that the Vectric software has. The interface is very intuitive and quick to learn. In short "it just does what it is supposed to". You don't have to relearn it every time you open it. Even ArtCam, which can do what V-Carve does, can not do it in as few steps as V-Carve. Nor as fast. Thank you to the Vectric team........

BrianM
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: A few ...

Post by BrianM »

Hi,

When you press 'S' the node will be made smooth and the node will change colour to blue. When you move one control handle, the one on the other side of the node will move as well to keep the transition through the node smooth.

If you press 'S' on a smooth node the only immediate change you will see is that the node changes colour back to black. If you move a control handle now, the other handle will not move and you will create a cusp or discontinuity at the node.

If I understand your question correctly, were you expecting the program to move the control points to make the beziers either side of the non-smoothed node more like straight lines to the adjacent nodes? To be honest I had never considered this behavior, is this something other packages do when you toggle the smoothness of a node?

Brian

NGraver

Post by NGraver »

Thanks for the reply Brian.
What you explained is what I expect to happen...but it doesn't. If I select a smooth node and hit the toggle key "S" nothing happens. It does not turn black....it remains a smooth node. Is it a bug?...eh...I can't believe I am the only one having this problem. Sure I can edit the vectors in another program bt I really don't want to leave VCarve just for this. Thanks...Andy

BrianM
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: A few ...

Post by BrianM »

Hi Andy,

Can you email the file you are having problems with to support@vectric.com so we can take a look? Are you seeing the problem with all nodes in the file or just some nodes?

If you right click on the node that isnt responding to the 'S' key and select 'Smooth Point' from the menu does it toggle the smoothness?

Brian