Lithoplane photo selection

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
auga
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: TinyG - Homemade

Lithoplane photo selection

Post by auga »

I have expermined with 3 different old photos and some gray tone print. All finished very nice and happy with them. However I scanned thur my coumputers 1000's of 1000's photo to try some
other smaller ones for testing purposes. I found some color Star fish and another color array of Sea Urchins. While they cut out very nice and thin enough to see the light within the finish work.
They just don't pop like the old photos did.

So is it best to use only gray/black and white photos with this process?

If so if I converted this star fish to grays or black/white would it it pop with the light.

I search several option and really could not find good info on photo selections ideas.

Thanks

calgrdnr
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot prt with 4g upgrade

Re: Lithoplane photo selection

Post by calgrdnr »

post a picture you are looking at . if you want lithophane 3x4 that really pops you will need to use small step over and small bit I use Vbit tell software it is 0.31 ballnose. best resolution I have seen in lithophane Larger lithophanes bigger the bit you can get away will

http://forum.vectric.com/download/file. ... &mode=view

http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php? ... lly#p44798

auga
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: TinyG - Homemade

Post by auga »

I am cutting 6.5 mm corian using a 1/16 bull nose. Set the stepover to 12%.

I attached the color picture used in Photovcarve, the finished cut with no light behind it and finally a photo with
the work with sunlight behind it.

Thanks

Dan
Attachments
sunlight
sunlight
No light
No light
Color image
Color image

calgrdnr
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot prt with 4g upgrade

Post by calgrdnr »

I use 30 degree v bit but tell soft ware 0.031 ball nose 1/32 will take 2x as long will be lot clearer

u could try same picture 2x as large and use same bit you did it will look better I use step over of 10 or 8 again takes longer but results are awesome:)

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

I don't do lithophanes so can't offer any personal experiences but do read a lot of the threads, have a read through this thread which contains some useful info, there is also a link to Dale's PDF instructions which I believe have helped people.
What was the resolution of your stating image ? Low res images downloaded from the internet won't give the best results, the other thing is contrast, doesn't seem to be a lot of contrast in the colour picture you have posted of the shells.

http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php? ... ns#p169220