Finding Center of Uneven Object for Hanging Keyhole

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
WaltS
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot 2418 - Spindle - ScottP Spoilbrd

Re: Finding Center of Uneven Object for Hanging Keyhole

Post by WaltS »

One other thing I just experimented with is taking 4D's file that divided the fish into halves and run each half through the gadget. Close, very close, per the gadget. The left half showed area, in general terms, as 14.391 and the right half as 14.364. So I think I'm going to take his number and run with it. Hoping the carving doesn't upset the balance too much, there will be a little more carved out of the left half than the right, but each one will be different by a little bit so...

lfinsr57
Model of CNC Machine: Home built

Post by lfinsr57 »

That's what I was going to suggest, splitting the object in half to derive the area of each half using his tool. It's a lot of trial and error but it would work. I'm assuming that the gadget is correctly calculating the area though. I'm not any better at math than you are but the code is there to inspect...

ETA: It would be very nice if you could get the properties of a closed vector with the area included. The Balance Gadget wouldn't be needed...

WaltS
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot 2418 - Spindle - ScottP Spoilbrd

Update - Figured it Out

Post by WaltS »

So after everything I went back to cut one out and hang it up and my paper fish was still laying there. So I picked it up and poked a small hole in it roughly 3/8" to the left of center, which is where a couple figures pointed to. It wasn't even close, it was tail down 30-40* by guesstimate. I then took the figure from the gadget posted and between that and knowing how it was hanging with a hole at the center and at 3/8" I picked a point 1/8" left of center. It was nearly perfect, nose down slightly. So I looked at the carving and decided that with most of the carving (probably 85% rough guess) coming out of the left side I'd just go with that and hopefully it would balance it out. So I went on and made a hole and carved the shape, hung it up, and it was perfect. I'm not sure how all the engineering and math and all were that far off, but they were, at least for my shape. I greatly appreciate all the help and time and input. It's kind of baffling how a piece of paper and a tiny nail won out over everything else. :?

ETA - I have pictures of all of the tests and final outcome if anyone is interested or skeptical I can post them.

lfinsr57
Model of CNC Machine: Home built

Post by lfinsr57 »

So the balance gadget was right? Interested to know for future use.