Using v bits for creating letters

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Rburke
Model of CNC Machine: Stinger 1

Using v bits for creating letters

Post by Rburke »

How do you determine which v bit to use when creating certain size letters? For example, I would like to carve letters that are one inch tall using a font like Cambria. I do not want the letters to be very deep or wide. I am running a CaMaster Stinger 1 with WinCNC. If I am running a V Carve tool path without a specified flat depth the tool automatically runs to a specific depth according to the bit I have selected. It also automatically raises the cut depth when creating the sarifs. I am new to using v bits and carving letters. Right now the only v bit I own is .5" wide at 90 degrees. It is carving wider and deeper than I would like, otherwise the cut looks good. I tried "tweeking" the z zero position a little but that does not work. It just doesn't finish the sarifs when the tool makes its shallower cuts.

Thanks

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Re: Using v bits for creating letters

Post by 4DThinker »

The Vcarve tool path by design will cut wider as the sides of the outline get wider, and narrower when the lines come closer. It is the shape of the letters that determines how deep any particular bit will cut unless you've set a flat depth. If you pick a sharper bit (60 degree total, 30 degree slope) the cut will be deeper. Select a flatter bit, say 120 degrees included and the cut will be shallower.

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

You say it's cutting wider than you want? A V Carve toolpath will not cut wider than the closed shape you are v carving. If you want a shallower cut, you need a bigger angle, like 120°.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

Make sure the bit you program to and the bit you put in the machine are the same.

Don't program with a 60 degree bit callout, then put a 90 degree in the machine - That will not work
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

If you only have the one v-bit then your options are to use the flat depth, make the letters smaller or use a different font. The software is doing what it's supposed to from your description you just need more tools or to adjust your design.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

It is carving wider and deeper than I would like, otherwise the cut looks good.
Does the carving match the preview?

A nice feature the the Vectric software is you can create tools with various V-bit angles in the tool database and use them in the preview. That way you can know what bits to purchase to get the results you want.
Attachments
VbitTest.png
VbitTest.crv
(976 KiB) Downloaded 200 times
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Post by dwilli9013 »

Thanks for that Randall. Nice little reference to have.
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

Rburke
Model of CNC Machine: Stinger 1

Post by Rburke »

Thank you

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Apart from using a different angle for the v bit, setting a flat depth, reducing the size of the text, using a different font which have all been mentioned one other option that I sometimes use ( normally to cut slightly deeper rather than shallower ) is to use an offset :lol:
In your case select your text & apply a small inside offset, you can play about with just how large an offset to apply & use the toolpath preview to make sure the text still looks correct once cut. :lol: :lol: To large & you will start to lose parts of the thinner strokes but even with a very small offset it can make quite a big difference.

M Queen
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: WinCNC Hybrid

Post by M Queen »

Not sure if anyone mentioned it or not, but if the spoilboard isn't milled flat, and/or if the material isn't milled flat, you're going to get crazy cuts while v-carving. Where the material surface is higher than your material set height it will cut wider (deeper cut). Where the material surface is lower than the material set height, it will cut a narrower (shallower cut).
Mike Queen
Microsystems World CNC (WinCNC)
https://www.youtube.com/user/cncMike304

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

M Queen wrote:Not sure if anyone mentioned it or not, but if the spoilboard isn't milled flat, and/or if the material isn't milled flat, you're going to get crazy cuts while v-carving. Where the material surface is higher than your material set height it will cut wider (deeper cut). Where the material surface is lower than the material set height, it will cut a narrower (shallower cut).
That's a very good point Mike & no it hadn't been mentioned :lol: :lol: :lol: