Newbie question - sloped cut out with rounded edge

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
grahamar
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3

Newbie question - sloped cut out with rounded edge

Post by grahamar »

Hi
I'm new to CNC and to Vcarve pro and just getting to used to the basics and have made a few simple things.

For a small project I wanted to make a wooden napkin holder/tray. In it's simplest form this is just a square of timber 200 mm * 200 mm pocketed out to take square paper napkins somewhat like this - only not so deep.
napkintray.jpg
Rather than the vertical cut out shown above - I wanted to make a more open profile like this
Capture.PNG
and with the top edge of the tray being rounded over rather than flat.

I did try the moulding tool path for the rounded over edge top edge - I think that might work, but its how to make the sloped cut out and retain the rounded over edge cut out that I can't get my head around.

I would welcome and suggestions on how to approach this.

Thank you

Graham

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Re: Newbie question - sloped cut out with rounded edge

Post by 4DThinker »

If you can create a simple 3D model that represents the face(s) that have that sloped cutout, then you might be able to use "Map to a 3D surface" to round over the edge with the moulding tool path. I haven't personally tried that, but if that doesn't work then making the top edge of the side with the sloped cutout a true 3D model with the roundover then using a 3D rough and finish cut should do the trick.

Of course using vCarve you can't make 3D models. You would have to use some other 3D software that vCarve can import.

PaulRowntree
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: homebuilt 4'x2' (Mach3+G540)

Post by PaulRowntree »

The FlutePlus gadget lets you put create an arbitrary 3D toolpath. Use one vector to set the X-Y coordinates (which would be the straight line going left-right across the front edge) and another vector that sets the Z profile to follow (which would be your smooth curved front shape).

Or use the CSV package to load the X-Y-Z toolpath from an ASCII file.

I would use FlutePlus, as it is easier to modify the shapes all within VCP. The roundover might be easiest using a router table.
Paul Rowntree
WarpDriver, StandingWave, Topo and gadgets available at PaulRowntree.weebly.com

grahamar

Post by grahamar »

Thank you both for the comments/suggestions.

I'll look into the points/ideas you have both mentioned.

Graham

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

When I make drawers or stuff like that, I use my router table with a roundover bit. Even a hand held router like a Porter Cable 690 will do a nice job, and easily.

You could use a roundover bit in the CNC, but I don't find that to be a great way to do it.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

grahamar

Post by grahamar »

Thanks Leo.

I think if I had 4 separate sides that would get glued together then the router is the way to go. But pocketing this from one piece of wood and then putting the shape for the opening on a vertical side is a little trickier with a router - maybe use a template and a profile bit? Appreciate the tip - its got me thinking further on other options/methods.

Graham