Mentors??

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
redneck1210
Model of CNC Machine: CRP4896

Mentors??

Post by redneck1210 »

Not sure if this is the right sub forum or not, so please move if needed.

I have been using VCarve Pro for about a year now and I've successfully cut many, many things. I am fairly comfortable with the overall basics of VCarve, but I would like to start cutting more difficult projects like signs with relief carvings, multiple beveled edges, etc. I am quickly learning that I do not have the skills to design the projects I have in mind.

So, I am looking for someone to 1. Hire for specific lessons or 2. contract the designs out on a per job basis.

Let me know if you can be of assistance or if there's anything on the Interwebs that may help. Thanks!

Turtle49
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 4' EZ-Router and Blurry customs SK25

Re: Mentors??

Post by Turtle49 »

Might be helpful to post your general location. Maybe someone in your area would be able to help.
Tim Hornshaw
www.HornshawWoodWorks.com

redneck1210

Post by redneck1210 »

Turtle49 wrote:Might be helpful to post your general location. Maybe someone in your area would be able to help.
Good point. I'm in the northern Virginia area.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Post what you're having problems with. This is a great forum with lots of people willing to help.
John
Maker of Chips

redneck1210

Post by redneck1210 »

highpockets wrote:Post what you're having problems with. This is a great forum with lots of people willing to help.
I need someone to design complex VCarve projects for me. I don't really need help with a specific problem.

Fleming
Vectric Wizard

Post by Fleming »

Be glad to try and help. I am in western Virginia. Contact via email: cobblewoodcarver@gmail.com

Paul

Fleming
Vectric Wizard

Post by Fleming »

redneck2010

Sorry, I posted the wrong email to contact me. Try cobblewoodcarvers@gmail.com

Paul

redneck1210

Post by redneck1210 »

Fleming wrote:redneck2010

Sorry, I posted the wrong email to contact me. Try cobblewoodcarvers@gmail.com

Paul
Sounds good, I'll send you a note tomorrow.

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

Red,

I will stand in the same group that you stand in. Need help with creativity, need help to get started into creative design. Need help to put the rubber under the wheels.

Based on my number of posts and based on "some" of the posting I post you may stand back and say - NO - that is not true. Maybe - but then maybe not.

I have NEVER had anyone come to my house to help me. But I have had TONS of help. I got help right here on this forum. Still getting help as matter of fact.

We need the specifics in order to help.

NOW - I will give you some REALLY BIG help - but it is just help - not the real deal. ONLY YOU can do the real deal.
This help comes from years of research and dozens of HIGHLY skilled people from the industry. People such as T.R. MacMunn that is possibly going to attend my meet and greet, as well as Michael Mezalick. These people are the stalwarts. These are the ones you want to meet with. I really don't want to downplay the rest of us either - there is some SERIOUS talent here. I have others also that I have met personally. Some of the people I have met are millionaires and have LARGE international businesses with their talent. Just about ALL of them started just like you and me.

THIS place is where we get inspiration.

ONE THING I can promise - it does NOT come easy or fast. It WILL take years.

So - HOW to get all that mystery and intrigue into your head?

Take pictures of EVERYthing and store them - and look at them.
Make things - fill a 60 yard dumpster with the mistakes.
Keep the successes and hang them on you shop wall - FILL every space on the wall.

Internet search on creative ideas - save links - review them

READ. Read about painting, glazing, sign making, texturing, composition, layout,

Keep a sketchbook with you at all times - take notes, draw sketches, take pics.

When I get called on to make a sign, there is more effort into creative design than in making the sign - it does not come easy.

There is a jot to be said for "JUST DO IT"

Come to my meet and greet in August and sit around with those of us that will be here - gain some insight.

In 2013 I spend about $3000 to attend a 3 day sign camp in Indiana and met some awesome people and got some really valuable insight on creativity.

MUCH - of my learning camp from this forum.

It does not come easy or fast.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

mezalick
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Cobra

Post by mezalick »

Well said Leo,,,,I agree..
Remember that old saying that it takes 10,000 hours to be good at anything ??

The sooner we begin the sooner we'll start seeing results.

My favorite saying is " Every school has a tuition,,,even the School of Hard Knocks."

Meeting others, face to face, will never be outdone by videos or forums..

Oh,,,, and let's not forget about practicing....

Michael
Michael Mezalick
https://www.youtube.com/user/mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

As Leo has said you don't need one person to help you when you have access to so many talented people on the forum & hiring someone to design for you is going to teach you nothing. Post something that you need help with & I am sure the forum experts will help.

How did you get to the level you are at now ? Probably by starting off with really simple projects & building on that as you learnt & grew in confidence. If that's the case then there is no reason why you can't continue to do that, just carry on at a pace that you can cope with slowly increasing the complexity of what you do at a pace you feel comfortable with. Don't forget to ask lots of questions on the forum :lol:
Practice really is the key, the really good thing about Vectric software is the accuracy of the preview. You can spent a lot of hours learning to use the software without it actually costing a lot of money in wasted materials :lol: :lol:

redneck1210

Post by redneck1210 »

I totally understand where you guys are coming from and maybe I wasn't clear in my goals. I will obviously continue to learn as I go, I'm not necessarily looking for someone to do my designs from here on out.

For me personally, I learn MUCH quicker by observing an "expert" and then dissecting what they've done. As for VCarve itself, I really feel that I can dramatically reduce the learning curve by having an expert design a job from start to finish based on my input. Being able to reference a few .crv files of exactly what I need will go a long way. Long story short, if someone shows me how to do a complex job from start to finish a few times, I'll be able to do the next ones on my own. Obviously I won't know it all, but I'll know enough to come here and harass you guys for the few things I can't figure out. :)

T.R.MacMunn
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster MC4836

Post by T.R.MacMunn »

Wow Leo.... that's quite the testimonial..... LOL

Anyway ..... Redneck 1210, I don't mind "fine-tuning" any sign designs you need help with. However, you should probably check out my Facebook page " T.R.MacMunn & Sons " to make sure I do the sort of work you aspire to ...
I probably can't help you much with complicated stuff, but "complicated" signs aren't necessarily better than "simple" signs.
If your work will include 3D modeling, you need Mike Mezalick for that stuff.

markevans36301
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot handibot

Post by markevans36301 »

I don't post here often, I mostly look and learn. I've gotta say though, Leo hit it out of the park with that one. Besides what Leo said I find very helpful to watch videos and work along.

Mark's Wood Chips
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre 23 with Rotary

Post by Mark's Wood Chips »

redneck1210 wrote: For me personally, I learn MUCH quicker by observing an "expert" and then dissecting what they've done. As for VCarve itself, I really feel that I can dramatically reduce the learning curve by having an expert design a job from start to finish based on my input. Being able to reference a few .crv files of exactly what I need will go a long way. Long story short, if someone shows me how to do a complex job from start to finish a few times, I'll be able to do the next ones on my own.
A suggestion - study the vectors and tool paths in Michael Tyler's monthly projects. I have dissected several of his projects and discovered excellent practical techniques.

Mark