Inlay issue

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
siric
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: XCarve 1000mm and OneFinity Woodworker

Inlay issue

Post by siric »

Hi,

I tried my first inlay trying the vcarve inlay technique following the hummingbird example - DOC for the carve .2, Start Depth and Cut Depth for the inlay 0.1 each.

On looking at the results I realized that carve and the inlay were not exact mirror images of each other!! Thinking that maybe the carve file had been corrupted or that the CNC had misbehaved, I carved the inlay again only to get the same result.

I then started looking at the preview closely and realized that the error was there too!! I experimented with the inlay start and cut depth and found that it made a difference if I switched to SD 0.15 and a CD of 0.05. (photos attached). Not to sure how this will fit together for gluing purposes, but will give it a go a little later unless I am advised otherwise.

Thanks

Steve
Attachments
Inlay 1 (.1 - .1).jpg
Inlay 1 (.15 - .05).jpg

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Re: Inlay issue

Post by FixitMike »

With the inlay cut, the Start Depth sets how far the inlay fits into the carve. If the carve is .2 deep, in my opinion, a Start Depth of .15 to .18 will give the best results. The Flat Depth sets the space between the pieces after they are glued together. Theoretically it can be any number greater than zero. I believe it should be at least .05" to provide space for glue squeezeout. More won't hurt, it just takes a little longer to carve.

Note: Be very sure the glue has cured before removing the excess inlay material. I usually allow the glue to cure twice as long as what the bottle says.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

siric
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: XCarve 1000mm and OneFinity Woodworker

Post by siric »

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the advice. Will give it a go and post results...Finger crossed!!!

Steve

Paul Z
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot PRT Alpha 96x48

Post by Paul Z »

Steve,

They are not supposed to be "an exact match" as you see the previews or look at the cut pieces. The male part fits only partway down into the female part. Then the clamping force (lots and lots of it) deforms them together mitigating any CNC errors in cutting. The result should be a seamless inlay.

Paul Z

fred ruppert
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Post by fred ruppert »

I would like to try the inlay technique, and using the hummingbird. is there a source for the hummingbird that is in the tutorial?

glenninvb
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: homebuild / VCP 8.0

Post by glenninvb »

fred ruppert wrote:I would like to try the inlay technique, and using the hummingbird. is there a source for the hummingbird that is in the tutorial?
look here..
http://support.vectric.com/tut-vcp-2d-techniques

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

fred ruppert wrote:I would like to try the inlay technique, and using the hummingbird. is there a source for the hummingbird that is in the tutorial?
If you follow the link that Glenn posted then the tutorial files are there for you to download as well as the tutorial itself.
Most of Vectric's tutorials are like that so you can download the files & follow along. :lol: :lol: