The importance of starting

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

The importance of starting

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Twelve years ago I bought my first CNC machine. The software (not Vectric) was not as easy and powerful as today’s offerings, but I was able to create the first test project. I had a ¼” bit and a scrap of barn wood. Below is the first project to come off the machine – a gift for my wife as a token of appreciation for her support in starting a new business. As you can see it is nothing extraordinary – yet she has still kept it – even though I have made her much nicer things since then.
FullSizeRender (15).jpg
The point of this post is for those who are just starting out or who haven’t started yet: I encourage you to dive in and learn while doing.

Every person on this forum started at the beginning. There are great resources and people willing to help you out. Post your first attempts, your failures, and your successes. It provides encouragement for everyone else.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

Papa_Paul
Model of CNC Machine: Open Build OX

Re: The importance of starting

Post by Papa_Paul »

I totally agree with the learn as you go and in the great support that this and some other forums offer. Learning from mistakes is a natural process and if you actively do anything there will be some hiccups along the way; just hope none of them are the ones that will cause any personal injuries.

The first time I attempted to send a gcode file to my new machine about a year ago; well it took off and drilled a 1/4 inch hole in the middle of the new MDF spoil board. Got on line and got the help that I need to set the correct gcode controller parameters and after a couple of more tweaks, I was away.

I have made several other mistakes along the way such as the wrong diameter bit for the tool path, overwriting an existing tool path with something totally different and wonder why the CNC is doing something totally unexpected; which normally develops something for the wood burner.

This is a great forum and with excellent support and outstanding contributions of ideas, solutions and creativity.

R\
Paul

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

This was one of my first projects and a few months ago I noticed my Grandson still had it in his room. Everybody needs to start somewhere and things will only get better if you stay with it. Gary
Attachments
Alta Football09172008-001 (1).JPG

cac67
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Joes Evo 3x2

Post by cac67 »

Papa_Paul wrote:I totally agree with the learn as you go and in the great support that this and some other forums offer. Learning from mistakes is a natural process and if you actively do anything there will be some hiccups along the way; just hope none of them are the ones that will cause any personal injuries.

The first time I attempted to send a gcode file to my new machine about a year ago; well it took off and drilled a 1/4 inch hole in the middle of the new MDF spoil board. Got on line and got the help that I need to set the correct gcode controller parameters and after a couple of more tweaks, I was away.

I have made several other mistakes along the way such as the wrong diameter bit for the tool path, overwriting an existing tool path with something totally different and wonder why the CNC is doing something totally unexpected; which normally develops something for the wood burner.

This is a great forum and with excellent support and outstanding contributions of ideas, solutions and creativity.

R\
Paul
I've done that. Drilled a hole, cut off clamps, meant to cut a piece at 48 ipm and instead cut it at 480 ipm, cleaned the inside of my precise bits collet with collet care then ran a long cut and had the bit slowly creep out of the collet the whole time it was cutting resulting in cutting part of the project with the collet nut. But the most painful mistake I can remember was unwrapping a brand new Beckwith Decor 1/8 tapered ball mill and immediately dropping it on the concrete floor. Don't be fooled, those bits do bounce, just in multiple directions at once.

You're going to screw things up, it's part of being human. When you do, cuss a little and move on, it's not worth any more than that.

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

Agreed - just start and keep trying something new.

This is one I did even before I knew about Vectric software. I most likely wrote the code out long hand. Or I may have used a free software I found online. This may be the first I did on my machine.
Router-1.jpg
Router-2.jpg
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

I'm a relative new comer, got my CNC in 2015 and started with VCP 7, so I started with some really good software. My first VCarve attempt was for the friend of mine who talked me into buying a CNC.

Made this for his woodworking shop.
Grumpy's.jpg
John
Maker of Chips

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Post by dwilli9013 »

highpockets wrote:I'm a relative new comer, got my CNC in 2015 and started with VCP 7, so I started with some really good software. My first VCarve attempt was for the friend of mine who talked me into buying a CNC.

Made this for his woodworking shop.
Grumpy's.jpg
Nice and I am sure he is still appreciative of your work. :lol: :lol: :lol:
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

Wish I saved my 1st projects, burnt them in a firepit long ago.
I remember the thrill I felt just seeing my name being auto routed in a chunk of scrap wood ,, Of course I'd be embarrassed to create something that crude now, but everyone starts somewhere and the thrill of turning a chunk of wood, mdf, plexiglas, corian, foam or whatever into something useful or a work of art, never goes away.
Doug