Building a Tool Database

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
bob_moodytx
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8 Pro

Building a Tool Database

Post by bob_moodytx »

Hello to all,

My name is Bob Moody from Huntsville, TX. Earlier in 2016 my father bought for me as a gift an Axiom Pro 8 and VCarve Pro (currently at ver 8.514). I grew up in my fathers machine shop and he still had quite a few tools. He recently came across a box of end mills that he gave me for use on my router. I have a collection of mills from 1/8" to 3/4" in 3/16 shanks, 3/8" shanks and 1/2" inch shanks. I have all the ER20 collets to utilize them.

In the collection I have for example, 12ea 1/4" end mills with 3/8" shanks. Within that I have 2, 3 and 4 flute versions. Being an anal retentive nut job, I was thinking of adding each of the tools individually. By that I mean adding separately a 1/4"-2 flute, 1/4"-3 flute and 1/4"-4 flute. The reasoning being what I mentioned earlier (ARNB)... and the different cutting characteristics and spindle speeds that I would use on a 2 flute say verses a 4 flute (This to consider things like tool marks, chip extraction etc...)

Am I on a good track or is it really overkill and not necessary?
I appreciate the opinions of those with considerably more experience and talent than I have.

Appreciate your time ...

Thank you,

Bob Moody

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Re: Building a Tool Database

Post by FixitMike »

That is strictly a personal decision. I will often do extra work once in order to reduce my chances of error and to reduce the work required in the future. That is what, in your case, entering more tools with their information would do. So, in my opinion--Go for it!
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

As Mike says it's purely personal. When I first got VCarve in 2016 I spent ages setting up every single router bit I owned into the tool database.

Then toolpath templates came out and I've used them since for setting up tools with different speeds etc rather than making multiple versions in the tool database. I find that more intuitive and easier to maintain for the way I work.

bob_moodytx

Post by bob_moodytx »

Thanks for the feedback guys ..

I have to admit I have not explored tool path templates.
In fact I have not really explored much in the way of modifying feed rates or even spindle speeds. I have, up till now, used what ever was the default (other than dialing up or down the spindle speed depending on material and squeal/chatter).

Although I have made several things with my machine I'm still not well versed in its abilities. I have explored the processor code and see where for instance the spindle speed is set in the code as provided by the data for the tool but it seems that its an ignored parameter. I always seem to have to dial in the frequency (speed) on the Axiom. Off topic I know, but its an admission of having not spent enough time with the machine to learn it beyond, draw and cut.

Thank you for the feedback. I will spend some time reading on toolpath templates and other aspects of the software and machine.

Bob.

The sign below is one I made for my father ... should have read more of this forum.. LOL ... as it is all hand painted .. then finished with poly..
Attachments
IMG_0600S.jpg

WaltS
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot 2418 - Spindle - ScottP Spoilbrd

Post by WaltS »

I'm not familiar with the Axiom, but my Shopbot spindle speed is set on the spindle control box, sounds similar to yours. Even though you include it in the tool database and it shows in the G code (I think it is if I remember correctly) you still have to control it manually. I was told back when I was first starting (a whole 3-4 months or so ago now lol) that it would have cost a good deal more to be able to control the speed via the program and would have required a second USB connection from the spindle to the computer and so forth. I don't know if all that is accurate or not, but not knowing anything different since this is my first machine, I'm fine dialing it in by hand. So yours may be the same situation.

Nice sign. I wish I could hand paint AND stay in the lines. :) I use spray and then sand off. From everything I have read it's not advised to use poly on wood if it is going to be outdoors. I've been using spar Urethane that I really like. I'm not into putting plastic over nice wood, but everybody has their own ideas and techniques for what works for them. Please don't take that as a criticism, it's just my observation from doing a TON of research, which may or may not be correct. :)

bob_moodytx

Post by bob_moodytx »

Walt,

No criticism taken. Its actually hanging inside my dads house ..
I paint "mostly" in the lines .. the little bit that might lap over the edge gets taken off with a light block sanding.

I wish I could finish like my father and grandfather did... grandfather was a master.. especially in lacquer (finish of his day .. before poly etc.. )
Since the sign was cut from poplar, it wasn't a real issue on the finish.. its somewhat shiny and my 85 year dad loved it.. that's what really mattered.

Believe me, without criticism or differing opinions there would be nothing left to learn and nothing to improve on .. when that day comes .. its time to look up to the heavens and say ... "Check please !!"

Bob

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

You will probably find the 4 flute bits aren't that much use to you with a router, problem is getting the spindle speed slow enough & the feedrate fast enough for them to cut chips rather than just cause friction & burn things :lol: :lol:
They are generally more suited to mills & lathes that run much slower spindles.

bolingerbe
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: MechMate

Post by bolingerbe »

What I did was add tools in categories and starting with 1 to 10 for straight bits of different sizes. Then 11 to 20 for ball nose and so on. This helps me keep track of where they go. I built a holder that is laid out the same way so when I am finished with a different bit it goes back in its slot and is not damaged.

bob_moodytx

Post by bob_moodytx »

martin54 wrote:You will probably find the 4 flute bits aren't that much use to you with a router, problem is getting the spindle speed slow enough & the feedrate fast enough for them to cut chips rather than just cause friction & burn things :lol: :lol:
They are generally more suited to mills & lathes that run much slower spindles.
Martin,
That is exactly what my dad told me. I will keep all the end mills and may experiment with them to learn the different cutting characteristics. The Axiom spindle is a 3HP water cooled spindle rated from 0 to 24000 RPM.

Thank you for the feedback.

Bob.

PS. Seeing where you are from, I had to add.... My middle name is actually an old family name ... McMillan.
Last edited by bob_moodytx on Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

bob_moodytx

Post by bob_moodytx »

bolingerbe wrote:What I did was add tools in categories and starting with 1 to 10 for straight bits of different sizes. Then 11 to 20 for ball nose and so on. This helps me keep track of where they go. I built a holder that is laid out the same way so when I am finished with a different bit it goes back in its slot and is not damaged.
Thanks for the idea!

I have mine sorted by shank and cutting size in plastic compartment boxes. They fit very well in the Axiom tool box.

Bob

zeeway
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Self-built

Post by zeeway »

bob_moodytx wrote:

Believe me, without criticism or differing opinions there would be nothing left to learn and nothing to improve on .. when that day comes .. its time to look up to the heavens and say ... "Check please !!"
Bob,

Thank you for that. Along with that troublesome cnc stuff, sometimes we can get real learning here.

Angie

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

The Axiom spindle is a 3HP water cooled spindle rated from 0 to 24000 RPM

Bob that's not really true, while it may be possible to turn the spindle at low speeds you will find that there isn't enough torque to actually cut anything :lol: :lol:

bob_moodytx

Post by bob_moodytx »

martin54 wrote:The Axiom spindle is a 3HP water cooled spindle rated from 0 to 24000 RPM

Bob that's not really true, while it may be possible to turn the spindle at low speeds you will find that there isn't enough torque to actually cut anything :lol: :lol:
You are absolutely right ...
According to Axiom full torque begins at 6000 RPM.
Additionally, the Axiom spindle speed is completely manual. it is dialed in from the controller box which doesn't actually display the speed but a frequency that you have to convert ( :roll: Meh...)

Bob

WaltS
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot 2418 - Spindle - ScottP Spoilbrd

Post by WaltS »

Bob, not sure if your spindle freq/speeds are the same or not, but if we're lucky here's a nice chart someone had sent to me when I first started. I keep it on my bench right by the machine.

I built a rough bit holder recently. Numbered the holes and am in the process of numbering them to match in the tool DB. That way when it asks me "is tool #1 in the machine" I can verify quickly that I do have the right tool in there.

I am by no means a master at finishing. But I'm trying to learn. I envy all those "masters" of finishing and what they can do to a piece of wood. I'm sure your dad did love it. What's not to love? :)

I've read that poplar is difficult to finish. I have a piece I've been wanting to try to see how it cuts but have been hesitant because I don't know what to do with it for finishing.
Attachments
DT Spindle RPM vs Freq.pdf
(62.85 KiB) Downloaded 176 times

bob_moodytx

Post by bob_moodytx »

Walt,

Thanks for the chart. It is actually (fairly) exact to the Axiom.

Axiom speeds are calculated as (60Hz * Freq-Shown-On-Display) with a max freq of 400Hz.
This basically equates to spindle speeds from 0 to 24000 RPM.
As mentioned earlier, full torque starts at 6000 RPM which is (same as your machine) 100Hz.

Bob