Moulding Toolpath Error Message

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
WaltS
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot 2418 - Spindle - ScottP Spoilbrd

Moulding Toolpath Error Message

Post by WaltS »

"A tool path was not created. Check to see if there is enough space to fit the entire profile across the rail contour without overlapping itself."

Trying to use the Boundary Offset as described in the tutorial and help file. Whenever I enter any value other than "0" I get the above error message, which isn't very helpful to me.
Attachments
moulding error.JPG

AcBCDN
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: HomeBuilt

Re: Moulding Toolpath Error Message

Post by AcBCDN »

Hi,

Did you try reversing the profile or rail to see if the error goes away? That option is available on the drawing when you edit the moulding tool path.

Andy

WaltS
Vectric Wizard

Post by WaltS »

Thanks. Tried that. Didn't help. :(

mezalick
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Cobra

Post by mezalick »

Seeing what you are trying to do would be very helpful.
Error messages can be caused by several issues.
Michael
Michael Mezalick
https://www.youtube.com/user/mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

WaltS
Vectric Wizard

Post by WaltS »

Here is what I am attempting to do. Now I am getting the error even with 0 in the Boundary Offset box. I noticed though now when I select the rail it turns green, and then when I select the profile its start point turns green, but the rail turns red, as in the screen capture. It wasn't doing that previously I don't think.
Attachments
error 2.JPG

mike.davison
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger II with rotary

Post by mike.davison »

Your molding profile is probably to fit (twice) in that narrow section of your rail. Not sure as I don't see the molding profile in that screen shot.

mezalick
Vectric Wizard

Post by mezalick »

WaltS wrote:Here is what I am attempting to do. Now I am getting the error even with 0 in the Boundary Offset box. I noticed though now when I select the rail it turns green, and then when I select the profile its start point turns green, but the rail turns red, as in the screen capture. It wasn't doing that previously I don't think.

Walt,
I was able to recreate your design, I think, but I can't get the error message you are getting.
Question,
What vector are you using for the drive rail ?
In your picture I see two start points, one for the shape and another below that ( see attached picture " bowl 2 " )
Where did that come from?
Here's how I did what I think you want. ( "bowl 1 " )
I cut the circle vector in half then chose one side of the circle as the drive rail , then chose the shape.
I would only need to choose the other side of the circle and the shape again to create the second toolpath.
Michael
Attachments
bowl 2.JPG
bowl 1.JPG
Michael Mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

mezalick
Vectric Wizard

Post by mezalick »

Walt,
I'm guessing that the RED node comes from a very small circle, which is used as your drive rail...
Correct ???
A small center circle of 0.01 with a Boundary offset of 0.004 ( or smaller ) will not deliver the error message you are getting.
Try using a smaller offset.

Michael
Michael Mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

WaltS
Vectric Wizard

Post by WaltS »

The red dot in the center is the drive rail vector selected. It is a 1mm circle, so you can't see it under the red square. However it should be green according to the help file. I have no idea why it is turning red now. The Large circle that you cut in half is for the profile cutout of the piece. I'm not sure how you made that work, because the help file says you can't do that. It says something like the profile will ALWAYS be hung on the OUTSIDE of the drive rail and to plan for that accordingly. I also tried a new, slightly larger drive rail circle and that didn't make any difference. I am now able, somehow, to get the drive rail to stay green, but I am still getting the error message, even without an offset.

mezalick
Vectric Wizard

Post by mezalick »

Walt,
This issue and your other item concerning skipping flat areas has been posted on the Vectric Beta forum by Martin and myself.
But given the holiday I would expect to hear something next week...
Hang in there....

As for which side of the rail the profile needs to be, changing the direction of the drive rail will abide by the rules.

Michael
Michael Mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

WaltS
Vectric Wizard

Post by WaltS »

Thanks Michael. I will put it on hold until next week. I need a break from it anyway. Martin has the file if Vectric wants to look at it. However that file I could at least create a toolpath without getting the error, even though I would get it off and on when I was just playing with different things. Now I'm getting it no matter what and can't create a toolpath, but I have since made several changes trying to figure out what might work. Thanks for looking into this.

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

If you have a positive value in the boundary offset option of the Moulding tool path then that is likely the cause of the error you are getting. It essentially adds that value to the beginning and end of the profile vector which makes them want to overlap in your small center hole area. Reduce the boundary offset to zero and see if it still generates that error.

4D

WaltS
Vectric Wizard

Post by WaltS »

4D, thank you! That makes perfect sense. For some reason I had tunnel vision and was thinking the Boundary Offset would only be on the outside edge of something that was circular, and not also the inside edge. The tutorial and help file show a straight piece as the example, not a round piece, so I never considered that. I think that may answer part of the problem.

That said, I am still getting the error now with 0 in the BO setting.

WaltS
Vectric Wizard

Post by WaltS »

I need to correct what we are seeing as a red start point for the rail vector. When you select it it turns green, and then when you select the profile it appears to turn red, but zooming in it is not really red, it just appears red because the tiny circle that is the rail is now red, but the start point is still green.

That said, I still can't create a toolpath, boundary offset or not, as shown. I have tried making the rail larger and smaller just for the heck of it, but it doesn't matter.

Michael - re your example with the large outside half circle as the rail, after thinking about what I said I realized that what I stated the help file said only applied to a closed vector, such as my circle. It doesn't apply to an open vector, such as your half circle.
Attachments
error green.JPG

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

WaltS have you tried reversing the vector or the rail direction? Hover over the rail & right mouse click, select reverse rail, try to generate toolpath, if you still get the message then put the rail back how it was & hover over the vector, right mouse & select reverse profile :lol: :lol: :lol:

I had that message with a zero boundary offset & had to reverse the vector (profile) in order for it to work. As Michael has said Vectric are not back at work until after the new year holidays :lol: :lol: