Text on a Curve Spacing Issues

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: Text on a Curve Spacing Issues

Post by martin54 »

Lots of good advice & things for you to work on WaltS, one option is not to do any work for people who's names have letters that are difficult to make look right :lol: :lol:
Something else worth considering is your choice of font if you want it running along a curve. Some fonts work far better than others, generally speaking the condensed version of a lot of fonts work reasonably well because the letters are much narrower to start with so the gaps in certain kerned pairs doesn't look any where near as bad :lol: :lol:

mezalick
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Cobra

Post by mezalick »

Here’s a tip from my teacher, an old time sign painters who worked brilliantly with fonts.
Turn the design upside down and look at the spacing.

The reason kerning is so easy to miss is because your eyes tend to ignore the spacing in pursuit of reading the word or sentence.
After decades of reading, adults don’t see letters anymore, we see words.

This is a topic we will be addressing at the CNC Seminars Event in Philadelphia.
January 26 – 28, 2017
http://cncseminars.com/events/philadelphia-pa/

Michael
Attachments
Picture1.jpg
Michael Mezalick
https://www.youtube.com/user/mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

cac67
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Joes Evo 3x2

Post by cac67 »

dwilli9013 wrote:
WaltS wrote:
dwilli9013 wrote:Walt,
Is this somewhat like what you had in mind. I simply convert the text to curves and then use the arrow keys to move in the x and y axis. Then for the particular letter go into node edit mode. the blue dot on the outside corner allows you to rotate the text. A bit tedious but it works.
Wait, what? The blue dot in node edit mode lets you rotate? I'm missing something. :?:
Yes the blue dot on the outside of all 4 corners lets you rotate the selected vector which is the letter in your case. After you get them all to your liking group them and toolpath them.
The way I handle this is to find the center point of the circle the arc is describing and set that as the rotation point for the little blue dot, that way the letters just slide along the curve when you grab it.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Nice tip Michael!
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Walt,

Is this what you are trying to do or am I missing something?
Jordan.jpg
John
Maker of Chips

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Haha, I read that the same way I would have done normally Michael, must have weeded far to much vinyl text :lol: :lol:

WaltS
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot 2418 - Spindle - ScottP Spoilbrd

Post by WaltS »

martin54 wrote:Lots of good advice & things for you to work on WaltS, one option is not to do any work for people who's names have letters that are difficult to make look right :lol: :lol:
Something else worth considering is your choice of font if you want it running along a curve. Some fonts work far better than others, generally speaking the condensed version of a lot of fonts work reasonably well because the letters are much narrower to start with so the gaps in certain kerned pairs doesn't look any where near as bad :lol: :lol:
Lol, I like that way of thinking, Martin. :)
I would have tried another font but I was having to match it to a font that already existed.

Michael - thanks for that. I've seen that trick before and yes, it's very true we see words and not letters mostly anymore. I've been doing graphics work for many years and I'm pretty picky about this sort of stuff, where a lot of people would either overlook it or ignore it.

Highpockets - Yes, but, you see where there's more space between the J, O and R than the D, A and N? And the N is lower than the J.

WaltS
Vectric Wizard

Post by WaltS »

cac67 wrote:
dwilli9013 wrote:
dwilli9013 wrote:Walt,
Is this somewhat like what you had in mind. I simply convert the text to curves and then use the arrow keys to move in the x and y axis. Then for the particular letter go into node edit mode. the blue dot on the outside corner allows you to rotate the text. A bit tedious but it works.
Yes the blue dot on the outside of all 4 corners lets you rotate the selected vector which is the letter in your case. After you get them all to your liking group them and toolpath them.
The way I handle this is to find the center point of the circle the arc is describing and set that as the rotation point for the little blue dot, that way the letters just slide along the curve when you grab it.
I'm not exactly following this, but it sounds interesting. Can you post a screen shot maybe of how you do this? Or explain if you're good with words?

mezalick
Vectric Wizard

Post by mezalick »

Walt,
Here's a screen shot..
With this the letter will follow the arc...

Michael
Attachments
center point.JPG
Michael Mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

mezalick
Vectric Wizard

Post by mezalick »

Another shout.
You'll just need to grab the corner handle to rotate it along the curve

~M
Attachments
grab.JPG
Michael Mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

WaltS
Vectric Wizard

Post by WaltS »

mezalick wrote:Walt,
Here's a screen shot..
With this the letter will follow the arc...

Michael
Thanks, I get most of it but how do you get the reference point in the center?

WaltS
Vectric Wizard

Post by WaltS »

Never mind, I just figured it out. That's awesome. Thank you!

WaltS
Vectric Wizard

Post by WaltS »

One more question, converting text into curves, does that have any effect on V caring the text? I know text is treated differently than other vectors, at least I read that somewhere.

COWBOY1296
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: SHOPBOT BUDDY PRS 32, 4 FT PWR STICK

Post by COWBOY1296 »

I remember seeing a tutorial on this one but forgot it so i had to teach myself all over how to do it. Add your name or word to a curve and then Convert your letters of that word to curves and then If you double click on a single letter you will end up with points and handles all around the letter. Double click on the center point and hold your left mouse key and drag it to the center of your circle or any other place you might want it. Then clicking on the corner point you can drag your letter along the arc or circle. Now after doing this to the to several letters in a name i saw that my name was no longer perfectly centered. So i grouped the individual letter, clicked on the name again creating points and handles. I then drug the center point to the center of the circle, drug the corner handle and it rotated the entire name until i was happy. Now Michael has forgotten more about aspire then i hope to ever learn, so i am sure that he could have given you a better explanation.

COWBOY1296
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: SHOPBOT BUDDY PRS 32, 4 FT PWR STICK

Post by COWBOY1296 »

As far as v-carving the letters once they have moved grouped or ungrouped has no effect on the cutting. If you highlight the vectors and then create your tool path it will cut just as good as if you had not done anything. But your preview is a tell all. If the preview looks good then so will your carving.