Hang on ramp...

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
geneb
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: 2006 ShopBot PRT96 Alpha

Hang on ramp...

Post by geneb »

I've attached a .crv file of a part I made yesterday. I would have liked to use the ramp feature, but when I try to use the ramp feature on the path labeled "lamp pockets" it just goes away. :)

I'm using v4.5.

Any idea why this is crashing? I know that the pocket size is the same width as the tool diameter, but that really shouldn't matter, or cause a freeze at any rate.

Tnx all!

(I'll post pictures showing the results of that toolpath in a little while - it's pretty damn cool. :) )

g.
Attachments
fuel control - back side pocket template.crv
(397.5 KiB) Downloaded 260 times
Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007
http://www.f15sim.com - The only one of its kind.

John S
Vectric Craftsman

Post by John S »

I'm using the 4.521 beta and just changing your tool diameter from 0.1875 to 0.1870 will allow the ramping to work.

Give that a try and let us know.

John S.

geneb
Vectric Apprentice

Post by geneb »

John S wrote:I'm using the 4.521 beta and just changing your tool diameter from 0.1875 to 0.1870 will allow the ramping to work.

Give that a try and let us know.

John S.
Ok. I'll give that a shot on the next panel I cut. However, I'm really not interested in a work-around. I'd like to know why it's crashing the program and whether or not it will be addressed in the next release. It should yell at me because it can't seem to do the ramp, not crash and lose all the work I'd done up to that point. :(

As promised, here are the pictures of the end-product.

Both the acrylic panel and the metal plate were done using VCP. The holes in the acrylic and the outline were done by laser.

g.
Attachments
fuel_panel_pair.jpg
fuel_panel_front.jpg

Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

Post by Tony Mac »

Hello geneb,

The problem you are seeing is because the width of the slots is exactly the same size as the cutter (as john pointed out) which results in no toolpath being calculated. The software certainly shouldn't crash and this bug has been fixed in the development build of the software. An error message is now displayed asking the user to check that the cutter can fit into the selected vectors.

Thank you for reporting the problem and sorry for the inconvenience this has caused.

Tony

geneb
Vectric Apprentice

Post by geneb »

Thanks for the update Tony. Any ETA on when we can get our grubby little fingers on the new build? :)

g.