Toolpaths and Layers

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko3XXL; JTech7W; V-CarvePro 12.004

Toolpaths and Layers

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

Is this something that everyone else knows, and I just discovered?

I was trying different methods of organizing my customized parts based on another thread here. (http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24890)

I created a graphic outline of the State of Texas on a layer called "Texas". I created a graphic outline of the State of Virginia on a layer called "Virginia".

I hid the layer Virginia, and created a toolpath for the Texas outline. Works fine in preview.

Then I went back to Drawing tools, hid the Texas layer and Show the Virginia layer.

Go back to Toolpaths with the idea to re-use the toolpath that I had previously created. Now hold on. Yes, I edited and reselected the different state outline and recalculated.

So, the preview shows both state outlines. Carved both of them even though only one was visible. The Solid checkbox shows both, also in the 2D view.

This is a V-Carve toolpath and two vectors are selected so it carves out between them. One vector is the state outline and the other is a large surrounding circle.

Did I just learn that a toolpath is a toolpath is a toolpath?

I'm not at my computer right now to post a file.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Toolpaths and Layers

Post by Adrian »

Is there still one toolpath in the toolpath list?

My first thought was that you hadn't reset the preview but you're saying that the 2D preview shows both toolpaths? I can't see how that can happen unless you have two toolpaths.

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

I'm thinking it has something to do with active layers. I changed active layers and it worked and didn't work. I lost track.

Maybe it has to do with this Trial V-Carve that I'm using?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Because you're using a trial version no-one apart from you and Vectric can open that file unfortunately.

When you hide a layer any toolpath that is being shown on the 2D will still be there. If you create a vector on a layer called Texas and another one on a layer called Virginia, hide the Virginia one and toolpath the Texas one you will see the vectors for Texas along with the toolpath for those vectors. Hide the Texas layer and unhide the Virginia layer you will now have the toolpath for Texas and the vectors for Virginia. Edit the toolpath to use the Virginia layer and you then get the Virginia toolpath and the Virginia vectors.

I can't replicate what you're describing in seeing both the Texas and Virginia toolpaths at the same time unless I create a toolpath for both rather than re-calculating the same one.

When using layers I always use the vector selection feature of the toolpath so each toolpath is automatically associated with the layers that go with it.

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

Yeah, I forgot about the Trial file setup. Sorry.

However, you have solved my problem with layers. Vcarve is just confused over what layer I want to carve! :D

Filtering by layer in the toolpath is the way to do it. I read about that, but it just didn't click about the usefulness of it.

Thanks!