Vcarve Inlays not Locking?

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
jackson74
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Romaxx WD-1

Vcarve Inlays not Locking?

Post by jackson74 »

I have had great success with vcarve inlays but suddenly they stopped locking together correctly and I cannot get them to work.

I am using the same settings and just tightened up and adjusted my machine as well as cleaned her up.

What would cause vcarve inlays to suddenly stop locking together and being off?

TIA

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Re: Vcarve Inlays not Locking?

Post by 4DThinker »

1. Check that the V-bit used was the same (angle) as the one you chose when making toolpaths.
2. Check that on the mirrored inlay piece you set a start depth AND a cut depth that added up to the cut depth set for the initial v-carve.

These two things are what my students usually do wrong to cause the inlay not to fit in the initial carve.

4D

jackson74
Vectric Apprentice

Post by jackson74 »

Thanks for the help...

The bit is the same one for sure...

By "cut depth" do you mean flat depth?

My settings are

Pocket = .1"

Male = Start Depth .07"
Flat Depth = .09"

The way I understand it is that the start depth is what goes into the pocket (make it a tad smaller for glue) and that the flat depth is what will extrude from the mating piece to bandsaw off (fit the blade through)

This has worked for me many times but suddendly does not?

Thanks again!

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

Can you post the file? Your assumptions concerning the depths are correct.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

Paul Z
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot PRT Alpha 96x48

Post by Paul Z »

4D thinker is probably correct but here are another couple of possible issues.

The inlay leaves very little of room for misalignment. I always dry fit the inlays first and make pencil marks to guide the relocation the inlay after applying glue ( and lots of it).

Another thing that makes alignment easier is to cut the inlay into pieces leaving many "islands" of inlay. It helps to adjust any distortions to stress relief while cutting or dimensional changes due to changes in humidity.

Paul Z

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard

Post by FixitMike »

To add to Paul Z's post: I use a dental tool to be sure there are no fuzzies left in the female cut. And I use sandpaper to blunt the "mountain peaks" in the male cut, except where there is going to be a thin line in the result.

jackson74
Vectric Apprentice

Post by jackson74 »

Thanks for the help

"Another thing that makes alignment easier is to cut the inlay into pieces leaving many "islands" of inlay. It helps to adjust any distortions to stress relief while cutting or dimensional changes due to changes in humidity."

this sounds like a great idea...

I got one to lock and glued it up but some of the thin lines (smaller detail) did not come out. I assume this time I got things correct but the glue up pressure was screwed up and did not push things down enough into the fine areas. Does any one have suggestions for fine detail or where a deeper flat depth is not met so it is a thin inlay portion?

What are you all doing for using clamps and getting even pressure? This seems to be a problem lately.

I will keep track of files and post some on my next tests. Like I said, the last one locked and the larger detail came out but the fine details were missing the inlay and had exposed pocket parts here and there making the final result look bad.

TIA for suggestions...

jackson74
Vectric Apprentice

Post by jackson74 »

To Paul Z... You said...
The inlay leaves very little of room for misalignment.
Do you mean my settings or all Vcarve inlay's in general? Is there a setting that makes alignment more forgiving and easier?

TIA

Paul Z
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot PRT Alpha 96x48

Post by Paul Z »

The difficulty in aligning the male and female parts is a general problem. It is likely to become even more difficult and the bit angle gets smaller.

A picture of the inlay results would greatly help in trying to determine what is causing gaps.

Paul Z

jackson74
Vectric Apprentice

Post by jackson74 »

It is likely to become even more difficult and the bit angle gets smaller.
So the deeper you Vcarve and if all the male parts hit the flat depth the easier the alignment will be and the best odds for a inlay to work out?

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard

Post by FixitMike »

I set my male start depth .04" less than the female flat depth. That has worked well for me.

If the male is cut into a thin piece of wood, be sure all parts of it have clamping pressure when gluing it in place. The trick of cutting it into pieces before gluing works well, too.

jackson74
Vectric Apprentice

Post by jackson74 »

Well here is my latest fail. This is a .125 pocket and it locked great I thought it was going to work out. Every part of the detail on the male met the flat depth, so no thin lines. Not sure what is going on. The main dog profile has good lines but it is very thin. I can push on it and move the wood and probably push my finger through it.

The detailed line are missing and horrible. I had a great lock and clamped it between two boards using 6 300lb Irwin clamps, pressure looked and felt even.

Could it be the bit? I use a .25 diameter 60 degree Whiteside v bit.

TIA for help

jackson74
Vectric Apprentice

Post by jackson74 »

Pic1

Is there a way to add a picture attachment? it just goes to a white screen and never posts the pics?

martin54
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber System 48,Denford Triac Modified

Post by martin54 »

there are file size limitations which may be preventing you uploading the file, can't remember if there are physical size limitations on pictures but there may be so worth trying to make the photo smaller & reducing the DPI to make the file size smaller.

martin54
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber System 48,Denford Triac Modified

Post by martin54 »

On the inlay question you say that you have tightened up the machine & cleaned it up. What exactly did you do ? Have you resurfaced your spoilboard & trammed your spindle since you have done the work on the machine. Those are things I would definitely check. Are you using the same type of wood you have used in the past when you were getting good results & have you changed your wood supplier at all ?