How to colour infill

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
bobbyb
Model of CNC Machine: Exel SL 6090 Pro

How to colour infill

Post by bobbyb »

Hi guys, I am new to the forum and what great hub of information it is :)

I have made some coasters with a stags head v carved into the surface. Could anyone tell me how I would go about filling the stag cutout with colour so its stands out?

ozymax
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Home built cnc router using Masso G3.

Re: How to colour infill

Post by ozymax »

The easiest way would be to paint it with a good contrasting colour.
Because you've already carved the design, give the whole thing a fine sand to remove all the fuzz.
Blow it clean and apply a couple of coats of clear poly or wood sealer, making sure to cover all the carved design. I really slap it around and make sure I have a good covering. Use a fine brush in the carving detail.
Once the clear is dry, paint the carving with 2x coats of your colour. You don't have to take any real care with the colour painting.
Once the colour is dry, sand the image until all the overbrush and any bleeding is removed.
Reapply a couple of coats of clear over the entire job.
Job done.
If I know that I'm going to do it this way from the start, I coat the job with poly before carving, then 2x coats after the carving. This tends to help with the colour bleeding in the grain.

bobbyb
Model of CNC Machine: Exel SL 6090 Pro

Post by bobbyb »

Thanks for the advice. What is the best type of paint to use for the infill?

RyanS
Model of CNC Machine: Homemade

Post by RyanS »

Lots of options!

As mentioned above, paint is an option. I've personally had the best results with Marsh stencil ink (get it from amazon) with shellac as a sealer. I use shellac as a finish as well if it is for something indoors.

Some other options -

I tried Timbermate wood filler. Doesn't shrink. Stuff smells like dirty old band-aids, but it actually works. If you finish with it - you probably want to seal it somehow. I've tested this method and it works beautifully except for the fact that if you get it wet enough, it resoftens and will come off. I've heard some guys say to seal it with CA glue - but haven't tried it myself.

I've had success with some polyester resin fills. Inlace is expensive - but if it is the first time doing it, you can get decent results to try (about $30 for a bottle - I inlayed 4 stool tops at 13" round and still have some left)

For any of these methods, you can save yourself some sandpaper and get a large diameter face milling bit. Use a start depth on all of your v-carves of about .05 or so, fill/paint/etc, let dry, then put it back on the machine and mill off the .05 with the face mill. Looks clean and saves gumming up your sanding disks.

Good luck!

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

I use a 2 part epoxy, available from hope depot fairly cheap.
Coloring is a different story, I use 1shot paint and its not easy to obtain, Blicks craft store has it if you have one by you. You just pick the color of your choice and it mixes right in, doesn't take much to tint it.

I use craft hypodermic needles to apply, I order mine online so don't know if there are local sources.
To apply any paint you'll basically need a perfectly level surface and a way to apply it without creating a mess. If you just use regular paint for fill and if there is any depth to the carving, it could take days or even weeks to properly set up, which is why I avoid doing that.
Doug