CNC Router Vise Plans

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Re: CNC Router Vise Plans

Post by 4DThinker »

I've used wedges and cam (rotating wedges) and just about every other possible strategy to hold down parts on our CNCs. It all depends on what need to be clamped. We have a large Multicam CNC with a vacuum table that also gets used although mainly with large sheet goods. Hot glue, wood screws, double-sided tape, super glue between two pieces of painter's green tape, c-clamps, etc. all have their uses.

As I play with my vise design I'm already seeing options to let the jaws rotate a little for non-parallel sided parts. I have a variable angle clamping jig that is good for most things, but small parts in particular are always a challenge. I'll used this vise mounted on my angle jig for now. May have to adjust the bolt holes to mount it securely.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

I use 150 grit in my vises. It is only needed on one face. I put it on the movable jaw side.

I have several sets of "step" jaws. These are easy to make, just put a set of sacrificial jaws in, clamp up.

Then mill a slot down the center to the depth you need. If you are trying to do really accurate work, note the size of your end mill and then you will know exactly where that back edge is located.

BTW, one of the great things about Vectric software is the ability to put that zero point on the back edge of the part. Works great with the fixed jaw.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard

Post by 4DThinker »

TReischl wrote:BTW, one of the great things about Vectric software is the ability to put that zero point on the back edge of the part. Works great with the fixed jaw.
I can't agree more. There have been dozens, maybe over one hundred times now that putting the zero/home positions somewhere other than a corner or center of a rectangle has been the key to a successful cut on odd shaped parts.

4D

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

4DThinker wrote:
TReischl wrote:BTW, one of the great things about Vectric software is the ability to put that zero point on the back edge of the part. Works great with the fixed jaw.
I can't agree more. There have been dozens, maybe over one hundred times now that putting the zero/home positions somewhere other than a corner or center of a rectangle has been the key to a successful cut on odd shaped parts.

4D
Funny I work the other way round & using a bit of card make the odd shaped bits have one right angled corner so I don't have to move my zero position :lol: :lol:

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

What I was referring to was the ability to set the zero at the top of the part because that is the jaw that usually does not move on a vise. Normally I use the lower left corner, sometimes the center if it makes sense.

fredfow3
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna Swift 4x4, Shapeoko S3 XL

Post by fredfow3 »

Hi all,

John Heisz, ibutilit.com, has a free plan with video for a drill press vise that could easily be modified for this.

http://www.ibuildit.ca/Workshop%20Proje ... ise-1.html

Cheers,

Fred

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

Hello Fred!

That is a decent drill press vise. I see he used the hardware from the store bought unit. It is fairly easy to skip that. One of the things I recommend to anyone building a vise is to NOT use standard all thread. It is cheap but in my experience it has a nasty habit of not running smoothly. Also, it is cheaper to buy a length of acme with the nuts and build several vises at once.

I typically have three vises mounted on my machine at once. This allows me to work on long pieces very easily or have multiple setups.

When building one of these vises, it is important to keep the profile as low as possible because of the limited Z travel on many machines.

Bobtail Farm
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Homemade

CNC Router Vise Plans

Post by Bobtail Farm »

I've built 6 vises based on Ted's plans (2 shown in the attached), with some modifications to suit my machine and needs. E.g., front offset, cordless drill driven "speed socket" to go over the handle. The milling errors are my own. All wood but for the pin (hidden) and the bolts.

I made/used 1/2" wood threaded dowels (and corresponding tapped threads) cut with a generic (made in China) thread box with a standard machine thread. Of course, for this application I'd much prefer ACME threads and taps and have been keeping an eye out for a used pair.
Attachments
IMG_4713 vises showing handles and speed socket.jpg

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

Nice setup up Bobtail!

I have been thinking of making mine longer like you did, you beat me to it!

With that length of screw, yup, drill driven is the way to go.

I used to have a pair of panel clamps like that. I did not use them much but when I did, they were fun to drive with the drill.

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard

Post by 4DThinker »

I like those too, Bobtail. Nicely done.

Bobtail Farm
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Homemade

CNC Router Vise Plans

Post by Bobtail Farm »

4DThinker and TReischl:

Thank you for the compliment. Praise from Caesar(s), indeed. I've benefited much from each of your advice to others (as well as the advice from others too), on this forum and others.

Regards,
Brian.

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard

Post by 4DThinker »

I'm loving the new 2-sided render in V9. I went back and loaded up my Thin Vise file and was able to generate these images to perhaps better show what is cut on the top and what is cut on the bottom.
4D
Top Side View.jpg
Bottom Side View.jpg

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard

Post by 4DThinker »

I have since updated the threaded plywood side of my low profile vise with an embedded square 3/8"-16tpi nut. I used the CNC to cut the pocket for the nut, and removed the plywood threads with a 3/8" drill bit before putting it all back together.
Square Nut in Vise.jpg
The wood threads hadn't failed, but I kept thinking there would be a better option. I came across the square nut when going through a coffee can full of odds and ends in my garage shop. The slot is a dogbone (slightly modified) cornered rectangle cut with a 1/8" end mill.

4D

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard

Post by 4DThinker »

I went back and replaced the standard thread nut with an acme threaded nut and a acme threaded shaft. Added a drop of 3-in-1 oil and although the difference between it and the standard threaded shaft is small, it is perceptible. For now I'm calling this vise design finished.

4D