Explain the Ruler to me.

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
RobH063
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: 1000mm Xcarve

Explain the Ruler to me.

Post by RobH063 »

In VCarve Desktop, I like to work in inches. The ruler on the top and side are showing inches but there are 10 increments between inches. I assume that each represents 1/10th of an inch. In my world, every ruler I've seen there are 8 increments representing 1/8th of an inch and many times they are further broken down to represent 1/16th or 1/32nd of an inch. I keep messing things up. For instance, I want to create 2 line vectors that are 2 7/8" apart. I have no idea how to do this other than to create 2 line vectors and place them according to the ruler while using guide lines. I either end up with 2 7/10ths or 2 8/10ths. Am I missing something? Is there a setting I can change or do I have to work with 10 increments within each inch.

JoeM
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shop-Made Router

Re: Explain the Ruler to me.

Post by JoeM »

I don't know of a way to make the ruler show 16ths instead of 10ths, but there workarounds.

Put a guide line approximately where you want it. Right click and you'll see you can change the position. If you want it at 1.0625 instead of 1.1, you just enter 1.0625 in the "new position" box and that's where it will go.
And to make another one 2-7/8" away you can use the bottom portion of the pop-up box to create a new guide-line parallel to the first at whatever distance you need.

Or you can skip the guidelines and just draw your first vector. Then select that vector and click on the offset button (bottom left of the toolbar) and use it to create your second one at any distance you like from the first one.

RobH063
Vectric Craftsman

Post by RobH063 »

Thank you Joe! You come to my rescue once again. I can't convey how much I appreciate your help!

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

To be honest I don't tend to take a lot of notice of the rulers, I just use them as a general guide, if I am looking to draw accurately then I tend to type the sizes I require in the box on the left side of the screen or use the grid & set the grid spacing at a suitable size.
Another way to have 2 lines a set distance apart would be to copy the first line, paste a new line & then use the move command to set the second line where you need it.

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

Rob...
You asked for an explanation of the ruler. The ruler is in tenths because CNC design and control use decimal inches not fractions. The conversions are all over the place on mouse pads. I had 3 decades in the carpentry and millwork trades prior to owning a CNC, so I feel your pain of thinking in fractions.

You can enter fractions into any of the edit boxes if you wish to. Syntax for 11 9/16 inches would be: "11+9/16=" The equals sign does the calculation to decimal for you. There are more, search the Help or Reference Manual for "Calculation Edit Box"

That said, once you get used to it, decimal is easier. Good luck
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

RobH063
Vectric Craftsman

Post by RobH063 »

Thank you for the explanation Isla. It makes sense now. I do watch the tutorial videos and read a lot. The problem I'm having with that is there is no much information that it's hard to retain it all so I keep going back. I searched the videos for an hour trying to find one that explained it and ended up coming back here to ask. Martin, I will keep in mind the move command when needing accurate spacing between vectors. Thank you again!

bobrickard
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot Desktop MAX

Post by bobrickard »

I've also found it handy to use these:

http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-33-272-He ... pe+measure
111837.jpg

JamesB
Vectric Alumni
Model of CNC Machine: Exel CNC SL60/90 Pro

Post by JamesB »

Another option that may help you with seeing increments in inch friendly fractions when drawing in the software is the Snap Grid. You can set the spacing for this and switch it on and off from the Snap Settings form - accessed either from the "Edit" drop down menu and selection "Snap Options" or use F4 key as a shortcut. Toggle the check box next to "Snap Grid" to switch on and off and set the value for the spacing.

One handy hint when this is switched on is if you don't want to snap momentarily then you can hold down the Shift key when drawing, moving, etc. to disable the snapping. This works with a number of other snap related things too.

Cheers,
James

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Thanks for that "Handy Hint" James! :)
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

Rickmelum
Model of CNC Machine: KL733

Post by Rickmelum »

Thank you for explaining the ruler marks. I didn't know if they Millimeter or what. Knowing that they represent one tenth of an inch is great knowledge to have.
Thank you Rick.

JoelWeisbrod
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD120

Post by JoelWeisbrod »

Wouldn't it be better if the ruler was divided into 1/16 inch (0.0625) tick marks when using the system set to inches. When using millimeters, 1/10 inch tick marks make perfect sense but when using inches, they are essentially useless.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

JoelWeisbrod wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 2:23 pm
Wouldn't it be better if the ruler was divided into 1/16 inch (0.0625) tick marks when using the system set to inches. When using millimeters, 1/10 inch tick marks make perfect sense but when using inches, they are essentially useless.
See Gary's reply earlier in the thread as to why tenths are used.

Personally I never use the ruler as I don't see the need for it but we all work in different ways.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

JoelWeisbrod wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 2:23 pm
This reminds me of the worst justification person has ever told me as to why millimetres were bettter than inches: I like mm because I can use decimal numbers instead of fractions.

Ask a metal machinist if the rule* should be in 1/16ths or decimals and I expect I now how she would answer. For that matter even if it was fractions she’d be happier with 1/1024ths

Perhaps an e-mail to Vectric Support requesting an option to allow the choice between decimal and fractions displayed on the rule?

*rule: a strip of wood or other rigid material used for measuring length or marking straight lines ; ruler: a person exercising government or dominion.

Yes, I do know about “common usage”.