How many passes with a bit during pocket and profile is best

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
JMan
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha FX

How many passes with a bit during pocket and profile is best

Post by JMan »

I have a CNC Pirahnah.

What would be the safe amount of passes using a 1/8 tapered ball nose without putting stress on the bit, router and machine.
I am cutting to a depth .5" and then adjust by going up by .125". Right now I have passes set at 36 at .0104". I am going to go ahead and guess I am already over playing it safe lol. If anyone could advise that would be great.

Thank you.

Frunple

Re: How many passes with a bit during pocket and profile is

Post by Frunple »

It's really dependent on your machine. More of a trial and error thing than something anyone else can just tell you.
Try different settings.

JMan

Post by JMan »

Thanks. I have had it set at different depths and passes sometimes it catches fires through the project. I am using a Bosh Colt for the orouter

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

most manufacturers will list information on their website for tool bit speed, feedrate & depth of cut which is a starting point from which you should fine tune for your own machine. If your generating that sort of heat then your bit's aren't going to last very long at all especially if they are carbide which will blunt very quickly if overheated.
This may help you, it's from one of the tool manufacturers that get mentioned a lot on the forum

https://www.onsrud.com/xdoc/feedspeeds

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

Catches FIRE???

You're doin it wrong.

1) you may have your RPM too high
2) Your Depth of cut should be about 1/2 the cutter diameter.
3) your feedrate should be making chips - not dust.

Look at the information from Onsrun that Martin provided.

Adjust your feedrate and RPM to get as close to the chip load as you can get.

You don't want to generate the friction to start a fire. That is just no good for the cutter either.

The .010 depth of cut is too shallow. That 1/8 Tapered Ball tool can go 1/8 depth.

Also - You should be using 2 flute, or even single flute. Most of the tapered mills are 3 flute - ok. Don't use more that 3 flute.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

JMan

Post by JMan »

Sorry not catches fire, I meant as in cuts through the project. Like a record player if you bump it it drags across and scratches the vinyl. that is what I meant.

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

JMan...
It sounds like you are losing steps on at least one of your axes. This is usually a result of feeds that are higher than the machine drive system can provide. There are a number of factors that can give these same bad results. Can you post your crv file and a piture or two?
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

JMan

Post by JMan »

I certainly can but am walking out the door right now. I should be back in a few hours. I am really new to all this and I have a few bad projects go wrong, it doesn't help with all the earthquakes we have been getting lol. I haven't been using layers as it is still all confusing as well as I looked at the chart that was provided from martin 54, and I don't know if its me but its again confusing.

JMan

Post by JMan »

Here is the file I am working with. Sorry for zipping as I have no Idea how to make it smaller.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

If you are really new to cnc then the best think you can do is to start at the very beginning of the vectric tutorials & then work your way through them in order. Everyone wants to get on & make there own items but the tutorials provided by vectric are very easy to understand & explain just about everything you will need to know to get you started. By the time you have finished working with them you will have a very good grounding as you move forward with your cnc machining.
Plus don't forget that they are always there & if you are doing something your not 100% sure about then refresh your memory :lol: :lol:
Lost count of the number of times I have watch one of the tutorials again to refresh my memory before carrying out the job.

Looks like you forgot to attach the file :lol:

Ms Wolffie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Blue Elephant 1325, Shark HD Pro

Post by Ms Wolffie »

Before ANYTHING else, check the grubscrews that connect the joiner to the screw and the axle on the motor.
If they are STILL using those tiny little ones, replace them with cap screws and set them with Locktite.
Those screws have a habit of shaking themselves loose, causing the machine to lose steps.
You will need a very small Allen Key.
Cheers
Wolffie

Whatshammacallit
Cut3D, VCarvePro 6.5, Aspire4, PhotoVCarve, Corel Graphics Suite X6