heightmap from gis data

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
jseiler
Vectric Craftsman

Post by jseiler »

gregb wrote:John, how did you un gz the DEM file? Could you explain it in detail. Thanks.

Greg
Winzip pro will unzip a gz/tar. Winzip un-gz's then un-tars in one shot, and spits out a bunch of .ddf files. The main one is xxxxCATD.ddf (xxxx is some number)

So will 7-zip. 7-zip is open source.

http://www.7-zip.org/

With 7-zip, I think you have to run it first on the .gz file, then it will spit out a .tar file. Run it on the .tar file and it will spit out a bunch of .ddf files. Accutrans will read the main .ddf file (xxxxCATD.ddf). From there you can export out of accutrans 3d into whatever file type floats your boat. I picked .obj because I know a few different programs like .objs. It will also export .stl files too.

John
--btw, 7-zip is really nice too.

Dublinman
Vectric Craftsman

Topo maps

Post by Dublinman »

Well after much hammering on all the SW packages I got a .obj file into Cut3D and opened it but my z says 13, 250 inches, and I would presume that unlocking the xyz ratio buttons somewhat defeats the idea of a topo map, would anyone have any advice on what I did wrong. I didnt notice any option to scale the map I was saving from Microdem, so I could have saved it life size or Hubble Telescope , any tips would be great tx Dubliner