How do I cut this right triangle?

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
jimreed1948
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Torchmate

How do I cut this right triangle?

Post by jimreed1948 »

The attached photos shows a little project I'm currently working on. I made several of these out of wood before making some out of delrin. The drawing I made cut everything out just perfect, however, I'm looking for a different way to cut it out. I cut it out just as you see it on the top drawing and there was no problem. I have VCarve Pro and I'm not sure I can make the cut I want.

I would like to cut this as if you're looking down on the top of it. The top photo is a side view while the other is slightly tilted where you can see the top. I would like to cut the bevel on each side which is a small right triangle that leads down to the half circle bottom. I have never cut a right triangle looking down on it and not sure if VCarve will cut this way.

By cutting it this way, there is less waste.

Thanks for the help.
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Re: How do I cut this right triangle?

Post by FixitMike »

You can cut this using the FlutePlus gadget. http://paulrowntree.weebly.com/gadgets.html
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

jimreed1948
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Torchmate

Post by jimreed1948 »

FixitMike wrote:You can cut this using the FlutePlus gadget. http://paulrowntree.weebly.com/gadgets.html
Thanks, I'll check it out.

tomgardiner
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: FMT Patriot 4 x8

Post by tomgardiner »

Have you got a bandsaw? I would cut the blank out first with a bandsaw, then mount them in a pocket on my cnc table. Flute plus for the final pass or two.
What are the dimensions of the blank? Do you have enough Z axis to cut this on edge? It would take some thought to how to hold the workpiece but would make fast work of it.

Tom

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Depending on the dimensions it may be possible to turn the part on the side and machine it with standard XY moves.
SideMachine.jpg
Attachments
SideExample.crv
(94.5 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

rscrawford
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Cobra 408 ATC, ShopSabre IS408

Post by rscrawford »

If I were making a lot of these, I'd make a long board in the shape I wanted by cutting the two angled surfaces on my tablesaw with the blade tilted, then using a large ballnose bit on my CNC to machine out the cove, then cutting the parts off the long board on the mitre saw.
Russell Crawford
http://www.cherryleaf-rustle.com

Art Mann
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger

Post by Art Mann »

I would like to add to Russell's post a general comment that not every part that can be cut with a CNC router should be cut with a CNC router. This is quite possibly one of those cases. On the other hand, if the only tool you have is a CNC router then every project you come across looks like a CNC application.