converting handdrawn images

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
RTB
Model of CNC Machine: Stinger One

converting handdrawn images

Post by RTB »

what is the best, most common way of taking a hand drawn image and converting it into a usable file in Vcarve pro?

Kru82
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: custom

Re: converting handdrawn images

Post by Kru82 »

From using some of my own personal drawings . The cleaner and crisper lines the better and less to fix later on .

RTB

Post by RTB »

Thanks, how do you add your drawings to a file? So far, all I've tried is taking a picture and using auto bitmap trace on the jpg. It creates a tool path for both the inside and outside of the lines in the image. I have not found a good way to get rid of this. I have tried manual tracing but I must be missing something there as well.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Manual tracing is by far the best way of doing it. This tutorial covers that - http://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V8 ... _DRAW.html

This one covers the auto trace but also covers tidying things up - http://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V8 ... _DRAW.html

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Can you post a picture of what you are trying to do? It is often easier for the experts to help us if they can see what we want to achieve. The auto trace (bitmap trace) will produce vectors for you to be able to create toolpaths. Once that process has been completed then you can do what ever you want with those vectors, edit them to try & clean things up a bit, delete them, move them about, resize them etc etc.
Always a good idea to take a bit of time to learn to draw manually with practice it is often often quicker than using the auto trace & then cleaning up the resulting vectors.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

The problem with taking pictures is that it is difficult to get the camera aimed perfectly perpendicular to the drawing. What I do is use the scanner on my printer.

As Adrian said, manually tracing out the vectors is absolutely the best method. Autotrace is best reserved for quick and dirty jobs where the quality is not paramount. Problem is, I even do the q&d jobs manually cause I have this wonderfully precise machine that I cannot stand to watch make less than precise parts.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

RTB

Post by RTB »

A lot of good info, thank you all. I tried your suggestions and they were spot on. Now, as they say, all I have to do is do it! Practice, practice. But really, I was told the forum was the place to go and they were not kidding.

Art Mann
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger

Post by Art Mann »

I have to differ a little with Adrian. I have used the Vcarve auto trace feature enough that I am good with it and find it very useful. I have acquired some complex jpg designs that would require many hours to manually trace but I got the job done in less than an hour. You can't stop the function from finding inside and outside lines because the program has no way of knowing whether that line of pixels is simply a line or a very skinny shape. The duplicate traces are very easy to delete in most cases.

RTB

Post by RTB »

Much appreciated. I was thinking that very thing. Manual drawing is great for simple images but what was I going to do with highly detailed sketches? I would be very interested in learning what you're doing to deal with the double lines or get directed to a good info source.

Thanks again

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

With the double lines it's just a matter of using the same tools that you would use for manual tracing to remove and edit them as appropriate. A lot depends on your final toolpath. Most complex drawings end up being vcarved in which case you need the double lines for the toolpath to work.