CNC Newbie with some Vcarve font questions and issues

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
MattCI
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Probotix Comet

CNC Newbie with some Vcarve font questions and issues

Post by MattCI »

Hi just starting out and trying to figure out a few issues I have encountered.

First Issue is when using a 90 degree .5 V-bit my text is not coming out correct. See the picture of the A. I assume either my font is not big enough or the V-bit is not actually 90 degrees. Everything looks good in the VCarve preview which leads to my second question.

When Vcarving smaller type using a 60 degree .25 V-bit my text is too close and runs into each other. In the Vcarve preview everything looks good and the type is spaced correct is this normal? I just spaced it out a little in Vcarve and it came out fine but is adjusting the space something that needs to be done all the time with smaller type even though the preview is correct? My tool is set up to the correct numbers of the v-bit

I am not sure if this is an Issue or not. I imported an .eps file I use on my vinyl cutter to make paint stencils into VCarve and set it up using a 60 degree V-bit. It came out but some of the corners look a little flared Like the tip of the A and All the corners in the word march. I could this be a issue with the tooling?

I have only had my CNC for about a week but have been playing with the trials of Vcarve for a month or so and have been reading as much as possible. Hopefully everything will click soon

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Re: CNC Newbie with some Vcarve font questions and issues

Post by Leo »

The most common mistake I see is that someone programs for a certain degree cutter, but then actually uses a different degree cutter in the machine.

If you program for a 90 degree cutter you NEED to use a 90 degree cutter in the machine.

If you program for 60 you MUST use a 60 in the machine.

The word March looks a little like this is the issue.

The "A" in the first view looks like the work moved in the machine during cutting. Make sure you are securely clamping so the work cannot move.

Another error can be too fast a feedrate and the machine cannot change directions. You can try to lower the feedrate. You don't need to go as fast as possible.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind

www.leosworkshop.com

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 Build 48X36X10 RP 2010 Screenset

Post by TReischl »

You very well could have a non 90 degree vbit.

One other thing I would mention is that letters running into each other becomes more apparent with smaller fonts. Only makes sense because the space between them is smaller. Which leads me to:

You really need to make sure your material is flat and consistent thickness. You also need to accurately zero the Z to the top surface. A lot of folks use strips of paper, square bars of brass and sort of use a feeler gage approach. This is ok for a lot of work, but when things get fussy (like small text), it pays to have zero plate that electronically zeroes the tools. Way, way, more accurate.

Hope some of this helps!
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Jones

MattCI
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Probotix Comet

Post by MattCI »

Hey guys thanks for the info.

They were the correct bits and the feed rate was set at 60 ipm .
All the bigger letters with the 90 degree bit where messed up. But I think you guys hit the nail on the head. I was using double sided indoor mounting tape to hold the wood on the spoil board. My hold down clamps have not came in yet. I am also sure I did not get Z touched off perfectly.

Will the bigger 90 degree bit torque the work piece more? I ran the same file one calculated with a 90 degree V-Bit and one with the 60. The 60 cane out fine and the 90 came out pretty bad. I attached another pic of the bad text. I was able to reproduce on two different pieces of stock

I guess I will need test it again when I get my hold downs set up and see if I can find a touch off plate for Linuxcnc

Thanks again for the info it was very helpful

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP10

Post by scottp55 »

Agree flat spoilboard/flat material held firmly down with exact thickness and accurate Z.
This may help also determining angle. Once exact angle is plugged in, a lot of problems disappear.
Jeez Leo...I've NEVER plugged in a 45....and then picked a 60 :D :D
http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php? ... =vbit+test
scott
"One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions"

GMH

scott

Dukie94
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: CNC wood router QC 1325

Post by Dukie94 »

How do I convert clipart to vector? I downloaded off the internet clipart and tried to enter into vCarve Pro no luck. Do I need to buy a graphic art software ( such as corel) in order to convert clip art to vector? I have windows xp.
Some newer software won't work. Is there any free softwares I can download?
Thank you

tonydude
Vectric Apprentice

Post by tonydude »

Dukie,

Check out the tutorial.. http://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V8 ... _DRAW.html

study all the tutorials very helpful.

Tony