Problem with thumbnails

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
fretsman68
Vectric Wizard

Problem with thumbnails

Post by fretsman68 »

Hi, all, I had to reload (something got corrupt somehow and wouldn't open) VCarve Pro 8 and have now run into a thumbnail issue. Is this possible because of a registry conflict when I uninstalled it and re-installed it? I have the updates installed as well.

Even creating a new file, it won't save as a thumbnail. I have Win7 and no issues with malware or anything else like that. It was Just VCarve Pro 8 that has failed on me.

Thanks for your help.
Dave
--------------
Dave

CharlieP
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: Saimsmart CNC

Re: Problem with thumbnails

Post by CharlieP »

The VCarve Pro installation has two components to it, the installation of VCarve Pro and the
installation of the Microsoft C++ Runtime program required for the application to operate.

This error message would indicate that the the installer program did not install correctly onto your computer.

Please navigate to the installation folder for the program, (Usually “C:\Program Files\VCarve Pro 8.0” folder”
assuming default options were selected on installation and that the software is installed on a 64 bit edition of Microsoft Windows).

In this folder there is a file named “VectricShellExtSetup.exe”.
Right hand click on this file and select the option to “Run as administrator”
Please follow the prompts to install.
This program can take some considerable time to install on some computers, so please wait until the installation of the program has completed.

Once this component has installed correctly, before you do anything else,
please reboot the computer.
Once the computer has restarted the thumbnails should appear correctly.

I hope that this helps, but if you have any questions, please let me know.
Charlie

fretsman68
Vectric Wizard

Post by fretsman68 »

Thank you so much, Charlie, you nailed that one!

I can not say enough about Vectric, and all of the folks that work so hard to make us happy customers, thank you!

Dave
--------------
Dave

fretsman68
Vectric Wizard

Post by fretsman68 »

So I'm bringing this thread back because I'm having the same issue as way back in 2015, only this time the directions that Charlie gave me did not work. I'm wondering if something has changed and there's a new method for fixing thumbnails not showing up when opening a folder to find a file? All I'm seeing is the blue V Carve Pro icon and I would love to get this fixed.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling and no luck.

Thanks for any help ahead of time!
Dave
--------------
Dave

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Where are the files stored? The thumbnails won't work if the files are on a folder that is replicated to the cloud via OneDrive etc.

fretsman68
Vectric Wizard

Post by fretsman68 »

Adrian wrote:Where are the files stored? The thumbnails won't work if the files are on a folder that is replicated to the cloud via OneDrive etc.
Nothing like that Adrian, they are on my second physical hard drive in my PC like I've been doing for over 10 years. Thanks for the thought though-
--------------
Dave

fretsman68
Vectric Wizard

Post by fretsman68 »

Just to add, I have the latest windows 10 64 bit OS (1803 -build 17134.228) installed, not Win 7 any longer.
--------------
Dave

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

If you open an explorer window with the files do you have green tick/check marks showing next to the files?

fretsman68
Vectric Wizard

Post by fretsman68 »

Adrian wrote:If you open an explorer window with the files do you have green tick/check marks showing next to the files?
Yes, I sure do, Adrian.
Attachments
Capture1.JPG
--------------
Dave

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

That shows that the files are being replicated by OneDrive, DropBox etc. The thumbnails won't work if that is the case. They need to be on a folder that isn't replicated via a cloud service.

fretsman68
Vectric Wizard

Post by fretsman68 »

Adrian wrote:That shows that the files are being replicated by OneDrive, DropBox etc. The thumbnails won't work if that is the case. They need to be on a folder that isn't replicated via a cloud service.
Has something changed VERY recently then? Because everything worked fine until I had to re-install yesterday?

So I can't backup my files on a cloud based system?
--------------
Dave

fretsman68
Vectric Wizard

Post by fretsman68 »

Just an added note, those aren't being "viewed" on the cloud, those are the actual files on my hard drive. They're only synced to the cloud
--------------
Dave

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

As far as I know it's a Windows issue rather than Vectric as none of the programs that I use that have thumbnail extensions work in those circumstances only the ones built into Windows.

Some people on the Microsoft forums have got thumbnails to show by disabling the replication via the OneDrive app and then re-enabling it again but that doesn't keep up with changes to the files or always work in the first place in my experience.

It doesn't matter if they are local files replicated or cloud only. The issue is the same either way.

fretsman68
Vectric Wizard

Post by fretsman68 »

Adrian wrote:As far as I know it's a Windows issue rather than Vectric as none of the programs that I use that have thumbnail extensions work in those circumstances only the ones built into Windows.

Some people on the Microsoft forums have got thumbnails to show by disabling the replication via the OneDrive app and then re-enabling it again but that doesn't keep up with changes to the files or always work in the first place in my experience.

It doesn't matter if they are local files replicated or cloud only. The issue is the same either way.
Interesting, thanks for the information. Guess I'll have to do some digging around.
--------------
Dave

fretsman68
Vectric Wizard

Post by fretsman68 »

I tried disconnecting the cloud backup and retrying the shell installation and still nothing. grrrr.....the thumbnails saved SO much time for me.
--------------
Dave