wooden chain

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
jefritz

wooden chain

Post by jefritz »

Has anyone tried the project of the month yet ? I just ran it, but on the last cutout toolpath, it would not cut
any deeper than o.182" and no tabs. I tried recalculating and still no z-depth of the proper final cut pass
to make it 0.28"with tabs showing up in the g-code. (only 0.182"). I e-mailed Vectric support and will probably get
a reply Monday a.m. but I thought in the meantime I would try to find out if anyone else encountered this.

Thanks folks ...... John ( from Bobcaygeon, Ontario.) :D :D

Redhorse
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Re: wooden chain

Post by Redhorse »

Hi John, I'm sure pretty you'll have to add tabs. I'm re-doing the files to cut out the links.

Dave

dgoddard
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Joe's CastCNC Hybrid 4x4 R&P router

Post by dgoddard »

Subject of post is "Wooden Chain", which I am interested in, however can not find a "Project of the Month" for wooden chain. Or is the project the peanut bowl? Anyway, if anyone has info on how to carve wooden chain on with a cnc router, would appreciate any help. Thanks, Doug

JamesB
Vectric Alumni
Model of CNC Machine: Exel CNC SL60/90 Pro

Post by JamesB »

The Project was in the most recent newsletter (Thursday) - http://www.vectric.com/cool-stuff/proje ... Chain.html - looks like the website/forum has not been updated with these links yet, I'll get someone to take care of it tomorrow.

Thanks,
James

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

John, don't forget it's a two sided project so it doesn't cut through until you've done the second side (B) and it's that side that has the tabs.

jefritz

Post by jefritz »

Adrian - Side A is done. Side B is on the final toolpath .... profile cutout . Toolpath preview shows tabs. When I load it in, nowhere in the g-code can I see any Z-depth greater than 0.182"on ant final pass. When I run the toolpath, final pass depth is 0.182" .. not deep enough to have tabs.

Has anyone else tried this project ? Vectric says the answer is in this forum thread, but I can not find it. I AM on side B. Is there a glitch??

John

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Are you sure you're definitely looking at the code you've generated from the Chainlinks_SIDE-B file?

I've just saved it and read the code. It's definitely cutting to a depth of 0.28" and has the tabs. The 0.1875" depth with no tabs is only in the SIDE-A file.

jefritz

Post by jefritz »

Sorry Adrian ... I must have saved it to the wrong folder. I will re-save all files to a different folder and go from there. I must have saved the side A cutout also to the side B cut-out. My apologies ... I will try again. (must have been weekend brain-fart). :D :D :D

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

No worries. We've all been there. :)

JwoodCNC
Model of CNC Machine: Iconic by Axiom

Post by JwoodCNC »

I am also trying this project but I find even after Side B, the space around the tabs is still much too thick. It appears with the design that only the tabs should remain, however I still have a lot of extra wood. I've done this job 4 times now but the final profile cut on the B side doesn't seem to be deep enough. Has anyone made some adjustments that work to make the cut-out easier?

scotttarnor
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha XL , Shark HD520

Post by scotttarnor »

Can you share your file so there’s can look at it?
You went back 6 years to find this post, it looks like Adrian verified the file was fine then.
Scott T

@scottscnc

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

The project is 1/2" thick (both side a & b specify this). Side A profile is cutting 0.1875" deep. Side B is cutting 0.28" deep. Expected material thickness remaining between tabs is 0.0325" or just over 1/32" ( 0.5 - 0.1875 - 0.28 ).

Perhaps change Side A's profile cut to be a depth of 0.22" instead? ( 0.5 - 0.22 - 0.28 = 0" material left )

JwoodCNC
Model of CNC Machine: Iconic by Axiom

Post by JwoodCNC »

I am using the project files. I had to make the final profile cut deeper on side B to cut through the wood entirely (except for the tabs). Even though the profile cuts adds up to .5 inches, I need to make them slightly deeper.

I'm not sure what causes this issue -- I've noticed it on other projects. I am a beginner at this. The wood is exactly the size specified in the project files.