Dust Shoe - need help

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Phil
Vectric Wizard

Dust Shoe - need help

Post by Phil »

I've designed a dust shoe that performs very well. It took a few modifications to refine the design. Since the opening is small most of the vacuum is directed to the chips. However, I am not satisfied with the brush and how it is attached to the shoe.
The body of the shoe is vacuum formed and attached to a polycarbonate plate.
My current brush design is similar to the one that came with my shopbot. I've attached it with double sided tape and pop rivets. It works OK but it hasn't held up in the long run..
I'm hoping someone can suggest a more suitable brush and method of attaching the brush to the shoe.

Phil
Attachments
Brush (Small).JPG
Dust Shoe (Small).jpg
Dust Shoe B (Small).JPG

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Re: Dust Shoe - need help

Post by TReischl »

Hmmm, I finally gave up messing with dust shoes and bit the bullet. Bought one of Kent's shoes. Life is now wonderful. It actually feels good not hitting my head against the wall anymore.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

plcamp
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Home built wooden machine - Mach3/Aspire

Post by plcamp »

You might try McMaster Carr, they sell brushstrips in varying configurations....Paul

zeeway
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Self-built

Post by zeeway »

The Kent dust shoe (also the one I use it) uses strip brushes glued into a dado ( groove).

Angie

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

Hot glue worked for me, I designed one by chance just yesterday out of .5 plexi.
For the skirt I used some clear PVC, 1st run worked good but the skirt was too long. I have since cut a shorter one with more strips and also doubled it up since it is so thin, staggering the strips.
Not sure if this would be practice for your application, you boot edges may be too thin to use glue - Rivets might be a better option, then use glue to seal. Epoxy also a possibility.
Attachments
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRensdsder.jpg
FullSsdizeRender.jpg
Doug

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Post by Phil »

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to try a collar on the outside. I'll cut a 3/4" length of 4" PVC pipe and screw it together from the inside.
I've looked at the Kent shoe. It won't work on my machine. The hose on my Benchtop Shopbot is squashed into an oval for clearance.

Phil

Dclifton2
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: home built shopbot clone. CNC lathe

Post by Dclifton2 »

The only thing I found with the Kent is the brush opening is to big and you don't get the vacuum you should. I remade mine using the same brush material but made the opening smaller, works a lot better.
Don

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Post by Phil »

Dclifton2 wrote:The only thing I found with the Kent is the brush opening is to big and you don't get the vacuum you should. I remade mine using the same brush material but made the opening smaller, works a lot better.
Don
This isn't the 1st shoe I've made. I found the same issue with large openings. A smaller opening directs the vacuum where I need it. Most of my work is VCarving and 3D so the chips are small. My shoe is ideal for this type of work.

Phil

JimmyD
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRSalpha, custom rotary indexer

Post by JimmyD »

The only thing I found with the Kent is the brush opening is to big and you don't get the vacuum you should. I remade mine using the same brush material but made the opening smaller, works a lot better.
Don
Don,

I see many different versions of brush on McMasters web site. Can you share which you used? They all seem to have a steel backing. If that's what you used, did it bend easily?

Thanks,
Jim

cnc4me
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: XYZ Gantry, PMDX motion, Mach3

Post by cnc4me »

I purchased this brush from mcmaster-carr (part# 7900T2). The bristles are 3" in height.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#brushes/=wv8e7d
On the underside of the dust shoe, I cut a channel around the perimeter (slightly less than the thickness of the edge mold of the brush). Then all I had to do was press the brush into the slot.
I've been using this for over a year now, and no problems.

Hope this helps